Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Travel Topics > Travel Tips & Trip Ideas
Reload this Page >

Where should I go for THREE WEEKS in May?!

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 16th, 2019, 11:36 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi everyone!

I'm really torn where to travel and my trip is coming up in 3 weeks!

I've been to:
  • South America
    • Peru
  • Europe:
    • Switzerland
    • Spain
    • Athens
    • Paris
    • Majority of Eastern Europe minus Bulgaria, Croatia, Albania, etc.
    • London
    • Dublin
    • Cork
    • Russia
  • Middle East:
    • Israel
  • Asia:
    • Indonesia
    • Kazakhstan
Now I'm deciding where to go in May! My budget is $3500-4000 including airfare.

As of now, my partner wants to spend a week in Greece, I'm down for this idea, but don't know what other countries to add to my itinerary.

About my travel preferences: Out of all my trips, I loved Indonesia. I loved the nature, how few tourists there were, and that literally no one I knew had been there. I enjoy views and good food. Not so much into history or visiting museums any more. I want to pick a very adventurous place for the weeks leading up to my time with my partner and that give me that same good feeling as Indonesia did. The only thing is, I'm not sure about going back to southeast asia since we were just there 2 months ago and the flight to greece would be expensive.

Here are my ideas:
Croatia- pros: gorgeous country, cheap, easy to rent car and drive along coast, cons: seems touristy
Albania- pros: seems less touristy and still gorgeous, cons: probably less developed
Istanbul- pros: unique place to travel to and haven't been to other places in middle east, cons: call to prayer at 5am
Morroco- pros: seems like a great place to bargain and buy unique items, cons: also seems to probably be filled with touristy, mass production items, not sure how much there is to do there

What do you all think? Thanks for reading and any insight you have.
Old Apr 16th, 2019, 01:14 PM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Isn't there enough to see in Greece to spend 3 weeks there?
Old Apr 16th, 2019, 01:25 PM
Original Poster

Originally Posted by suze
Isn't there enough to see in Greece to spend 3 weeks there?
Yes, but I like the idea of splitting my time 1.5 weeks in greece and 1.5 weeks in another country. Just my preference given my vacation limitations.
Old Apr 16th, 2019, 02:29 PM

Which pairs better with Greece then? Have you looked into flights, ferries, trains, however you'd move from Greece onto the next place. Which places you can get good flights into and out of? That might help decide or at least trim down your list.
Old Apr 16th, 2019, 03:48 PM

Maybe India? Certainly very easy and inexpensive option and so much to see in three weeks.

Stunning sights, amazing architecture, ancient history, fabulous bargain shopping, beautiful traditions, the kindest people... You might fall in love with India...

Last edited by vinonobile987; Apr 16th, 2019 at 03:51 PM.
Old Apr 16th, 2019, 05:32 PM
kja

Originally Posted by Goldasin
As of now, my partner wants to spend a week in Greece, I'm down for this idea, but don't know what other countries to add to my itinerary. ...I like the idea of splitting my time 1.5 weeks in greece and 1.5 weeks in another country. Just my preference given my vacation limitations.
I admit that I don't understand! Currently defined countries include incredibly disparate areas -- places that have different histories, different cultural influences, different cuisines, different geographic features, etc. One of the things I love about traveling to ONE country at a time is observing those differences. JMO. ;-)

Just one example: The northern part of Greece, in and around Thessaloniki, felt to me almost like an entirely different country than Athens, the Peloponnese, or the islands I visited.

Croatia- pros: gorgeous country, cheap, easy to rent car and drive along coast, cons: seems touristy
Albania- pros: seems less touristy and still gorgeous, cons: probably less developed
Istanbul- pros: unique place to travel to and haven't been to other places in middle east, cons: call to prayer at 5am
Morroco- pros: seems like a great place to bargain and buy unique items, cons: also seems to probably be filled with touristy, mass production items, not sure how much there is to do there.
  • Croatia -- parts have become very touristy, but I believe it still has a few less-touristed areas if you are willing to spend the time and energy to track them down.
  • Istanbul -- A major tourist destination, but large enough to absorb the influx; one can stay in places where the call to prayer isn't all that noticeable -- or at least, that was my experience.
  • I haven't been to Albania or Morocco yet.
My budget is $3500-4000 including airfare..
For 3 weeks? Good luck!

Last edited by kja; Apr 16th, 2019 at 05:34 PM.
Old Apr 16th, 2019, 10:50 PM

If you're worried about tourists May isn't high season yet. European schools are still in session. Even those without kids tend to take summer holidays during the summer.

I'm kind of confused by what you mean by adventure. Sounds like you'll just be driving around?
Old Apr 17th, 2019, 11:03 AM

Good point about the budget. Is it $3500-4000 for each person. Or that is the entire budget for both of you? Big difference

If it is per person, and you have to give $1200 for RT plane ticket for example and using the high number of $4000, that leaves only $133USD per day to pay for *everything* else on the ground. If that is for each of you and you have $266 together per day that would work. If $133 is for BOTH of you, that is tight.
Old Apr 17th, 2019, 11:30 PM

You could easily spend 3 weeks in Greece. The regions are all different, hardly anyone goes to the beautiful Pelion region, there are many islands to explore and you could combine Greece with Cyprus, an island that gets little mention on this forum, yet in May, it would be delightful.

You’ve only been to Paris, there is the rest of France to explore, there’s Germany, Netherlands etc and all of Scandinavia but unsure if that would fit your budget although like most places, you can find places less expensive to stay.

Last edited by Odin; Apr 17th, 2019 at 11:32 PM.
Old Apr 24th, 2019, 05:03 PM

Received 13 Likes on 2 Posts
Italy?
Old Apr 24th, 2019, 06:59 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
>>My budget is $3500-4000 including airfare..<<

Fo both or each of you? You are planning to go THIS May -- like next month???

If your budget is for two and that low -- maybe you should very first thing find out where you can fly for cheap. Where are you traveling from?
Old Apr 26th, 2019, 06:39 AM

Yes we've asked that question from the start... but no reply.