Where in the World Should we go Next?

Old Apr 13th, 2018, 07:00 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Where in the World Should we go Next?

Hey Fodor Peeps!! I need help. For the first time - I cant seem to come up with a summer destination for our family trip. We prefer an international trip, btw.Our bucket list items are too pricey for us right now (African Safari, Galapagos.)We are a well traveled family of 4 - kids are now 18 and 15. We usually travel for 2 weeks. We have already been to......Japan, Israel, Portugal, England, Scotland, Ireland, Spain, Italy, Hawaii, France, Argentina, Peru, Colombia, Panama, Costa Rica, US National Parks, St. Petersburg, Sweden, Alaska, Canada,Austria, Germany, Switzerland, Czech Republic ......We like history, adventure, food, culture, - pretty much everything - although we don't like to veg on the beach. Any ideas would be sooo helpful!!!
Old Apr 13th, 2018, 03:31 PM
kja

Guide books in your local library -- put those family members on it!
Old Apr 13th, 2018, 03:46 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Greece. Baltics. Balkans. Romania. Bulgaria.
Old Apr 13th, 2018, 08:22 PM

Some of those are fairly large destination rich countries. Have you really done those countries?
Old Apr 14th, 2018, 03:14 AM

New Zealand is a great holiday. NZ is a bit cold, so you don't actually swim in the water ( I did once in Bay of islands when it was an odd summers day).

I went to the North and South Island of NZ and did both in 3 weeks. I had a great time. I actually would love to go back, but I want to go to places I haven't been to yet. My favourite city in NZ is Queenstown. I also enjoyed Rotorua (although stinky). NZ also offers great diversity in scenery. You have the cultural aspect from the traditional Maori people, which is great to hear about and their traditional food was yum.
Old Apr 14th, 2018, 08:11 AM

Netherlands and Amsterdam

Thailand - expensive air flights but once you get there, it's pretty inexpensive

Have you seen ALL the National Parks? Which ones didn't you see?

WHere do you live?
Old Apr 14th, 2018, 09:05 AM

Received 77 Likes on 7 Posts
Norwegian Fjord country, maybe up as far as the North Cape.
Iceland
Morocco
Turkey
Finland and the Baltics
Slovenia and Croatia
There are usually some decent package deals to Australia during the northern summer, but it's an awful long way for just two weeks, especially if you're starting on the US east coast.
And there ARE some affordable safari options - look at self-catering accommodations in the Kruger National Park "rest camps." With current exchange rates, South Africa can be a budget destination, believe it or not.

Possible revisits or supplemental trip to those you've already done -

Newfoundland
Quebec City to the Gaspe Peninsula
SE Alaska and the Yukon (Fly to Juneau, ferry to Skagway, train/bus to Whitehorse, rental car to Dawson City, back to Whitehorse, home)
Northwestern Alaska - Nome (drive out into the Seward Peninsula - gold mining, Native villages, muskoxen and bears...) and Kotzebue - dip a toe in the Arctic Ocean, midnight sun, etc.

Last edited by Gardyloo; Apr 14th, 2018 at 09:12 AM.
Old Apr 14th, 2018, 09:21 AM

Received 22 Likes on 4 Posts
Scandinavian countries are beautiful with charming cities... and are not as warm as other European destinations. You have been to Sweden so look at Norway and Denmark.. We would happily return to all of them.
Old Apr 15th, 2018, 02:49 PM

Another consideration might be either Banff in Alberta, Canada or Tofino, British Columbia. Banff/Lake Louise/Jasper are so beautiful and full of amazing outdoor activities.

Tofino in the summer is awesome. The weather is warm, the sun doesn’t set until 10:30 at night, and the wildlife viewing is incredible. You can take water taxi to various small islands for hot springs, hiking, swimming and fishing. Learn about the many First Nations Tribes in the area to enrich the experience. Swimming, surfing, boogie boards, kayaking, easy hiking... (Obviously, This trip was a highlight for us).

Google some images and see if these places resonate.
Old Apr 17th, 2018, 08:20 AM

Nicaragua (the new Costa Rica). Granada is our favorite town.
Old Apr 19th, 2018, 02:20 PM

Go to Croatia

Iím there now. Iíve traveled to most of the places you have and nothing (even Provence) was more wonderful than here. Iím not a beach person either but the Adriatic is a gorgeous back drop to Old Town castles and walls. If you like history youíll love it here. For example, lookup Split, a city from Roman times with centuries of history jumbled on top, bottom and all around!
Old Apr 19th, 2018, 02:24 PM

A little addition...

Whoever said Turkey is spot on. Has everthjng. Take a food tour in Istanbul. Go to a hamam, a Turkish bath. I want to go back just for that, itís heaven.
Old Apr 21st, 2018, 11:38 AM
Original Poster

Thanks everyone!!!!!

The ideas are great - currently researching - Thailand/SE Asia or Croatia and surrounding area.
Old Apr 23rd, 2018, 11:54 PM

Egypt, India, Nepal & Malaysia
Old Apr 24th, 2018, 12:03 AM

Sri Lanka. Easily done in 2 weeks. Variety- animals, nature, Buddhist (& other major religions) culture. Great food, beaches, history. Nice People. Cheap.