Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

want to shake up summer vacation -- have been to france, italy, greece, spain, israel, mexico, carib, western u.s.

Search

want to shake up summer vacation -- have been to france, italy, greece, spain, israel, mexico, carib, western u.s.

Search this Thread

Old Oct 6th, 2002, 11:39 AM
Barbara

would really like to try southeast asian countries, but time restraints require July vacation, and its the rainy season and hot hot hot there at that time. Any suggestions, anyone? We generally like to combine touring beautiful countrysides, interesting cities, hiking, beaches, great food. Just looking for your two cents, thanks.

Old Oct 6th, 2002, 12:06 PM
Jan

Try Croatia or Portugal. Beautiful countries with some of everything that you listed.

Old Oct 6th, 2002, 12:51 PM
Rex

Ireland, Slovenia or Germany jump out at me, based on where you have been - - though for all three, the beaches will be second rate, compared to the excellent suggestions of Croatia or Portugal.<BR>

Old Oct 6th, 2002, 12:56 PM
Grasshopper

The Ticino region of Switzerland. Great hiking, beautiful lakes (and some beaches), bike riding, great food, interesting towns and villages, wonderful wine.

Old Oct 6th, 2002, 01:54 PM
barbara

thanks so much for the suggestions. I'll start doing my homework now. In another post I found an extensive Washington Post travel section on Eastern Europe, from June of this year. thanks again.

Old Oct 6th, 2002, 02:04 PM
xxx

Why don't you try northern africa like Morrocco and egypt? They are so exotic and have really nice and clean beaches.

Old Oct 6th, 2002, 02:11 PM
Amy

'Tis true, 'twas hot, but Vietnam and Cambodia in July was a terrific experience and the rain was only about an hour each day. Untours has a terrific set up for Vietnam, and the country is fascinating.<BR><BR>Alternatively, there's always Iceland! Only five hours from the east coast, beautiful scenery, lava beaches, hiking, a terrific little city, and...about 65 degrees. mmmmmmm...great place for summer!

Old Oct 6th, 2002, 02:12 PM
Art

Hungary and the Czech Republic would be excellent alternatives. Hungary has the largest lake in Central Europe and is a beautiful place, with good swimming, sailing, beaches and close by are some hot baths. Budapest has a beautiful setting divided by the Danube. Pecs Hungary, about 3 hours south of Budapest is a charming city. You could visit Egre where Bulls Blood wine is brewed. The Czech Republic has Prague with its beautiful architecture and colorful buildings. There are several one or two worthwhile day trips out of Prague. Hungary has great food and still inexpensive.<BR>Southern Germany has some of the most beautiful scenery and most charming villages anywhere in Europe, and of course Switzerland with its' majestic Alps. <BR>Poland would be another interesting choice.<BR>

Old Oct 6th, 2002, 05:00 PM

topping<BR>

Old Oct 6th, 2002, 06:07 PM
ingrid

I'd vote for Croatia (perhaps combine with Slovenia). Dubrovnik and the Adriatic coast are wonderful (not too many sandy beaches, though); you can take a ferry along the coast with stops on islands.

Old Oct 7th, 2002, 10:49 AM
topping

topping