Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Trying to decide between Portugal and Croatia?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 12th, 2018, 05:05 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Our family of four have visited Europe various times. We have been to Spain, Italy, France, England, Belgium, Greece.
also Amsterdam and Prague.
We are now trying to decide between Portugal and Croatia?
I would appreciate any suggestions. Thank you.
Old Mar 12th, 2018, 05:11 PM
kja

Depends on your interests, time of year, time for your trip...! It is easy to fit Croatia into a month; there are, of course, ways to pick and choose to make a shorter trip rewarding. I haven't been to Portugal yet, but from what I've ready, most people are able to plan itineraries of about 2 weeks, give or take.

Knowing nothing other than your family size and experience with Europe doesn't give us a lot to go on.... Are there specific things you want to know to help with your decision?
Old Mar 12th, 2018, 05:40 PM
Original Poster

We will be traveling for 10 days in the middle of July. My children are 25 and 27. We dont like to sit around much. In Brugge we rode bikes around the city which was great. In Santorini, We hiked around the caldera. We also hiked between the towns in Cinque Terre With that being said, we also like to sit in squares and enjoy the view, try different food sand wines.
Old Mar 12th, 2018, 06:50 PM

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
I have not been to Croatia, but Portugal is wonderful! It has cities, beaches, castles, wineries, friendly people, everyone pretty much speaks english, food is cheap and good, wine is cheap and good, etc..
Lisbon is a beautiful and clean city. We enjoyed segwaying up and down the hills. The area of Caiscas and Estoril is quite nice. Sintra has its castles. Honestly, I would return to Portugal in a heartbeat and see the rest of it. Never made it to Porto unfortunately or the big beach resorts way down south.
Old Mar 13th, 2018, 03:48 AM

Been to each of them (both in July) - Croatia for 8 days and Portugal for 2 weeks. I'm leaving for my second trip to Portugal day after tomorrow. Can you see all, or even the majority, of either country in 10 days - no. But you can see a lot.

In Croatia we started in Dubrovnik with day trips to Bosnia and Montenegro, then took the ferry to Korcula, another to Split with a day trip to Trogir. That all fit very nicely into 8 days. But we didn't try to get up to the northern part of the country at all, saving that for another trip.
In Portugal we had about 5 days in Lisbon with day trip to Sintra, then rented a car and visited several places in the center of the country. We didn't get up to Porto or down to the Algarve (saving those for other trips).
Point being 10 days is a fair amount of time to explore a decent sized part of either country, just don't try to cram the whole thing in.

Here's my photos from both countries. See if either 'grabs' you more.

Croatia - Zenfolio | Isabel's_View | Croatia, Bosnia, Montenegro

Portugal - Zenfolio | Isabel's_View | Portugal
Old Mar 13th, 2018, 04:32 AM

Hi,

Well the question is: You still considering visiting Portugal after all your travels. How is that possible?
I cannot speak about Croatia, i never being there although I've heard amazing things.
Did you know that:
Lisbon is the best city break destination of the world 2017 (World travel awards)
https://www.visitlisboa.com/lisbon
Lisbon's Beaches - A beach guide fully updated for 2018!
Did you know that the Algarve is the best beach destination of Europe (World travel awards):
https://www.algarvetouristguide.com/beaches

https://www.visitportugal.com/pt-pt#

Portugal has everything, from the amazing world heritage wine region of Douro Valley, to the city of Porto and Guimarães, to the church filed city of Braga.
The university city of Coimbra, the Venice like city of Aveiro, the biggest waves on earth in the Town of Nazaré, the majestic monasteries of Alcobaça and Batalha, the Knights templar castle of Tomar, the worlds pilgrim site of Fátima, the picturesque city of Lisbon and its seven hills, the Roamntic city of Sintra and it's Palaces, the wild Atlantic coast of Alentejo, the huge plains in the south with it's castles, medieval villages, Évora, Monsaraz, Vila Viçosa, Estremoz.
Do you know any other country that can offer this diversity in such a small area?