Search

What to pack for that trip

Search this Thread

Old Jul 12th, 2015, 06:29 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What to pack for that trip

I love to travel but what really gets me down is actually sitting down and packing for the trip. I always think that I will forget something important or wondering if I'm carrying too much stuff!
Does anyone have a good system or tips? (I've gotten down to asking myself 'Do I have my passport? if yes,I'm good to travel. )
Old Jul 12th, 2015, 11:10 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My packing list is in three posts on my blog.

Start here, links at the top of the page:
https://mytimetotravel.wordpress.com...take-part-one/
Old Jul 12th, 2015, 01:57 PM

My list is longer than Angelinas -

1. Passport
2. Credit/ATM cards
Old Jul 13th, 2015, 02:14 AM
Original Poster

hahaha. Yes, Credit cards/ atms are probably a good idea as well. (if you want to eat and stuff when you get there)
Old Jul 13th, 2015, 12:19 PM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
I start by laying everything out about a month in advance on the bed in my guest room. Then I just keep working it.
Old Jul 15th, 2015, 03:23 PM

I too maintain a master packing list; one page called important items such as passport, credit card & ATM card, glasses, etc. Another page lists all the items, important and otherwise, that are to be carry-ons. Then comes my clothing list to cover all options. For example, if I'm bringing sneakers, then I'll need socks, not always shorts but usually exercise options. Include on this list rain options. Depending on where I'm going, I may not need every item. Once I highlight to categorize what of the clothing I'll need from this master, I make a written list of what pieces in my closet I wish to bring. I then type it up adding it to the last page of the master, so I know what was on "Florida 2012" or "France 2015." When you plan another you can easily review what you took that worked and didn't and adjust accordingly. In the last few years, we only travel to Europe with a carry-on which we check, wheeled backpacks, and a large tote as my purse. Based on the clothing technology, I can pack tons into my 21" carryon. Thin layers are key. For our upcoming 4 wks in France, packing 5 pairs of slacks, 12 tops (tanks, shortsleeve, longsleeve), jacket, sweater, maxi dress, skirt, and 3-4 pairs of shoes/sandals. Look for lightwt shoes, such as Go-Walk Sketchers. Tremendous difference in what you take. Don't bring cotton, nor sweats or jeans of any kind. Stick to one color palette, like black & khaki with a few bright accents in tees or scarves. Bring few pieces of, again, lightweight jewelry -- I love the huge tortoise necklaces popular now. Do not bring valuable jewelry or watches. Keep your handbag in a nylon by Baggalini or LeSportsac or Longchamps. And yes, I lay it out on a guestroom bed and keep adjusting to cover all weather & occasions accordingly. It's become really easy for me.
Old Jul 16th, 2015, 01:30 AM

Great discussion.
Old Jul 16th, 2015, 03:35 PM

Except for ski trips, which we've done so many times that I could pack in the dark, I HATE packing.
Always worry that I'll be hot or cold or get sore feet or will need something that I left at home. Every trip is so different (in the past year, we've gone to Tanzania, NYC, Alaska, Colorado, and the Galapagos) that a generic packing list wouldn't help.
Old Jul 16th, 2015, 03:55 PM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
I never travel with anything I don't already "know". This is not the time to try out new shoes, new clothes, new purse, new suitcase, etc.
Old Jul 17th, 2015, 03:25 AM
Original Poster

Yeah, I guess it really depends on where you are going and for how long. Thanks Aliced on that tip on carrying "light" stuff. I hate lugging around a heavy bag.
Old Jul 23rd, 2015, 08:53 PM

Yes. The stuffs should be decided by the destination, length of stay and weather.
Old Jul 24th, 2015, 01:02 AM

Great two things are really really important Passport and credit cards.
Old Jul 25th, 2015, 05:57 PM

Key things have already been mentioned...passport, credit & ATM cards. I usually look at a max of three shoes: walking shoes, sandals (summer travel), low healed shoes that can be used for smart-casual clothes & are okay for year round travel. Third pair is up to you, depending on the type of travel. As for clothes, light weight & can be easily washed as needed. Multi-use coat/jacket: Don't bother packing this type of item; wear it instead. Don't forget prescription meds, but don't worry about over the counter stuff. These can always be bought on the go. Make photocopies of key documents including passport and credit card contact information; keep on you but separately from the originals.
Old Aug 9th, 2015, 04:37 AM

I wrotE an article about how to pack for a trip to Europe with just a carry on. It's filled with great tips. http://www.anniestravelnuggets.com/2...vy-burden.html
Old Aug 11th, 2015, 03:32 PM

I am a last minute packer. I do keep a travel box in my closet. Have organizer for credit cards, passports etc. Our last trip to Europe I took one pair of shoes and did great. I thought I would buy a new pair there but nothing really jumped out at me. I took 3 lightweight pants, one pair of jeans, some long and short sleeve tees and my jack wolfskin rain coat. One pair of knee high smart wool socks, two pair of shorter ones, undies, charger, kindle and pillow for the plane. Did great. I bought a hat for my head in Northern Ireland. My ears were freezing watching a race by the ocean but have learned if I forget something I can buy it somewhere. Our apartment later in the trip had a washing machine so even came home with clean clothes. Winter travel is not that much different. I have a goose down jacket that packs into the pocket and take gloves and boots but still fit it all into a small roller bag. We aren't opera or dress up for dinner people. I like concerts and sporting events, pub food so don't take dress clothes ever. A simple dress takes little room though.
Old Aug 19th, 2015, 04:41 PM

I find that it is all the "other stuff" that takes up room, like curling iron, blow dryer, jackets, umbrella, clothes steamer,games,books, journals (I know get a kindle) We went to Europe for 22 weeks last year and I kept it all to a 25" suitcase but had a full backpack too as we were also on a rather fancy cruise ship Clothes I can wash or send out for cleaning. If you are cruising, then you need some kind of dress up clothes but everything should be interchangeable. I forgot my Little Black Dress for the cruise but had black pants and some cute tops and a couple of jackets so I did OK. Did laundry once in Italy ($15!)
Old Aug 20th, 2015, 01:39 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
A clothes steamer??? $15 for laundry? TWO jackets?

If my clothes can't be washed in the sink and drip dry they don't travel. I have a very small hair dryer on my current trip but usually travel wothout. I carry my jacket onto planes and trains if I'm not wearing it, and my umbrella goes in the side pocket of my day bag.

I do agree that fancy cruises (not the Hurtigruten boat I just got off) need more clothes.
Old Aug 24th, 2015, 07:06 AM

I have 3 types of trips I go on- quick 2-4 day weekend trips, and longer trips that are either in 1st world- nice clothes required, or 3rd world- comfy, washable and usually dri-fit required!

I have basic outlines of what each trip requires, and also what luggage I need to use.

Staples always include:
Passport
CC/cash
iPad
Phone
Bose headphones (once you go Bose, you never go back)
snacks for the plane
sunglasses

After that, it varies too much! I do however keep a checklist in my day planner, adding items to a master list as I think of them starting a few weeks out from my trip. Once they're IN the suitcase, they get a checkmark- never before!
Old Aug 27th, 2015, 07:49 PM

And with all the packing lists, don't forget the "get out of town" list- all the financial/domestic/home maintenance stuff to be done whilst you're away.
Old Aug 30th, 2015, 02:01 PM

I have a master list on my computer and customize it before each trip. I have columns for each category: documents,toiletries and remedies, necessities and nice to have, outdoor gear, electronics. I too use the spare bedroom to spread stuff out and make piles of ‘definitely’ and ‘maybe’ . Once it is in the definitely pile, or the suitcase, I cross it off the list. I also create a short list of things to pack at the last minute: my iPad, the favourite top that is in the laundry, something I need to purchase before we leave, etc.

My system works pretty well for me but I do hate all those decisions. Clothing is the worst, especially when it is a longer trip with various climates and types of activities and destinations. When in doubt, I choose what I wear most at home.

I’m not a big fan of the “if I forget it, I can buy it when I get there” approach. Once in China I spent a morning in a large, unfamiliar city where few spoke English, trying to find a remedy for diarrhea. Another time in a mountain resort town in Slovakia I searched every shop for a comb, and finally had to settle on the best alternative I could find: a clothes brush.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -