Walking in LA- Need advice on sandals

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 15th, 2024, 08:30 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey guys! I'm gearing up for a trip to LA with my friends, and we're planning to explore the city on foot for the most part. I need your help finding the perfect sandals for all-day walking!
I've been eyeing Birkenstock sandals for a while now, but I'm torn between the classic Arizona style and Gizeh's design. Which one do you think would be best for long walks? I have heard so much about these sandals but never have actually used them. If any of you have experience with Birkenstocks, I'd love to hear your thoughts before I jump in. I have been wearing Keen sandals for a while now and they are really great but I thought maybe it's time to switch things up. Can anyone compare Birkenstocks to Keens in terms of comfort and durability? Also, if you have any other sandal recommendations that are comfortable and durable for city exploring, please share! I'm open to suggestions. FYI, my budget is somewhere around $100, let me know if you guys have any suggestions within that price range.
Old Mar 16th, 2024, 04:13 AM

I would never wear any brand of sandals for long walks, period. I'd wear good walking sneakers.
Old Mar 16th, 2024, 01:10 PM

Keens have good support.
Old Mar 16th, 2024, 07:28 PM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
My best suggestion is not to try out a new brand and new pair of sandals on a trip - could be a recipe for disaster! I'd stick with the Keen's you know work for you and a pair already 'broken in'.

I can't wear Birks myself. Some people love them but they aren't for me.

Welcome to Fodor's!
Old Mar 17th, 2024, 05:58 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have Birkenstocks and Keens. I would not use my Birkenstocks for a lot of walking. My Keens offer great support and are much better if you plan to do a lot of walking.
I have the Keen Venice H-2 which can even be used in the water. I also have the Keen Rose sandal which is a lot more attractive. Both are great.
I agree that you should break in any shoes you plan to wear on your trip.
Old Mar 17th, 2024, 11:05 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I wear Birks at home. I no longer take them on trips as I discovered the soles are too slick.

I would not wear sandals for a day of walking. For trips I take over the ankle boots, but at the very least you need sneakers with a good grip and foot support. Well broken in. I repeat, well broken in.
Old Mar 17th, 2024, 12:11 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
I do wear sandals for long walks -- Munros - attractive with very good arch support and snug vamp/ankle straps, good sole, and attractive enough to triple duty on trips. Walking, casual, and can be dressed up. For instance in London I typically walk 3-6 miles every day. I have probably 10 pair in different colors/combinations - similar to this one. https://footwearetc.com/products/wom...EaAinjEALw_wcB

But I also agree -- for serious walking you may wan well broken in sneakers.

Old Mar 18th, 2024, 10:49 AM

Everyone's feet are different. I can walk long distances in flip flops (even the basic Kadee II Crocs) but could probably not go half a mile in those Munros. Crocs are my sandals of choice for travel since they weigh next to nothing.

Last edited by mlgb; Mar 18th, 2024 at 11:40 AM.