vacumn packing luggage

Old Aug 10th, 2005, 07:25 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
vacumn packing luggage

Has anyone used vacumn packing when they travel? I was thinking about packing diapers in it- does anybody know if it would work?
Old Aug 10th, 2005, 07:46 AM

When you open - it will poop up
Old Aug 10th, 2005, 11:01 AM

It will probably work, I'd say .. but:

Where will you get a vacuum for the return trip?

Aren't diapers sold at your destination?

Finally: anything that can be "compressed" with a vacuum can also be compressed by sitting on it then tying it up with twine. Bring a couple of yards with you and you'll find it good for tying up purchases, a makeshift clothsline, or even a fishing line. And I'll bet it will weigh less than your vacuum bags as well.
Old Aug 10th, 2005, 02:04 PM

I did use a kind of bag that you compress and zip up with a plastic clip. It did not involve the use of a vacuum which I would not have in my room each night. It worked very well and compressed the clothes so they took up much less room. But each night my travelling companions laughed at me as I squirmed around on top of the bag to squish out the air and clip it shut.

Old Aug 10th, 2005, 04:23 PM

Target sells compressible bags like the ones katharineclifton mentioned. They come in three sizes. I got one for my daughter, but she decided not to use it, so I don't know how efficient they are.
Old Aug 10th, 2005, 06:00 PM

One thing to be careful about: using space bags will allow you to put more in your suitcase, so you have to watch that you don't go over your airline's weight limit.
Old Aug 11th, 2005, 02:40 AM

Those bags sold in Target, etc that do not use vacuum cleaner hose work fine for easily compressible items - we use it for things like down jackets, knit stuff, towels when we send our son off to college because his car is too stuffed with computer, toys games and sports stuff, and other college "essentials" for what Mom thinks is a reasonable amount of clothing.

Only problem is that the ziplock thing on the top sometimes pops open if bag is overstuffed.

Not sure it would make sense for diapers, especially the flat gel-filled ones, since they are already fairly flat and non-fluffy to begin with.
Old Aug 11th, 2005, 08:24 AM

I think in this case the ones you use the vacuum cleaner to suck the air out would be better. Once open they would be used and gone. They would not have to be repacked as they would if you were using them for clothing.
Old Aug 11th, 2005, 05:14 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the advice- diapers are sold in Japan, but we are trying to cut costs. My husband and I are only bringing a backpack each since we will be using the train system alot and walking 10-20 minutes to the hostels, or traveling to friends' homes. Probably we will look into the zippy ones for our clothes too since they are reusable.
Old Aug 12th, 2005, 10:49 AM

You are only bringing a backpack each, and some of that space will be diapers? Good luck!
Old Aug 13th, 2005, 12:46 PM

I always have a large plastic garbage bag not only in the backpack, but in all of my luggage. Too often luggage is exposed to elements while being loaded/unloaded onto aircraft. I also use smaller bags for various item categories: pants, shirts, etc. Zip bags are nice, but plain clear plastic bags work too, or even non-clear ones, such as used by many grocery stores to pack customers' groceries.

Since cost cutting is important for your trip, why aren't you giving consideration to the mechanical, economical and even environment benefits of using cheap, strong jute twine? My earlier post was serious about the use of this cheap and multifunctional staple; I can't understand why people want to spend money on specialized accessories of limited use and dubious value.

Not matter what your decision, have a great trip.
Old Aug 17th, 2005, 01:24 PM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Use 1 or 2 gallon regular ziplock kitchen bags and sit on them to get the air out. Works great.
Old Aug 17th, 2005, 03:31 PM

You could use the thin nozzle from the vacuum cleaner to suck out even more air.
Old Aug 17th, 2005, 06:54 PM

I always use the big 2 gallon size ziplock bags. I put my clothes in the bag, zip it up all but about 1/4 inch, put a pillow over the top of the bag and push down, the air goes out. These bags work well because when they search your bag everything is in bags they can see it. Your suitcase is organized and you can pack more in less room. Also if your bag happens to get wet your items are safe. Good luck and have a fun trip!
Old Aug 18th, 2005, 08:23 AM

A couple of years ago Ziploc came out with some really big bags meant for wrapping large Christmas presents. They are about 2 feet square. I don't know if they are still available. I stocked up on them after Christmas when they were half price.
Old Aug 20th, 2005, 10:20 PM

I use zip lock bags also and they work wonderfully. Now if you are searched then you have to take the time to put things back in order. If you use the other method I am pretty sure the airport won't have a vaccum cleaner for you to use.
Old Aug 21st, 2005, 01:43 PM

Worked great when we first "moved" to Mexico. The MX customs guys were so impressed, they let us in without any duty.
M
Old Sep 11th, 2005, 09:34 AM

I use my Foodsaver Vacuum packer to pack quite often. Before that I used zip lock bags. I would - for instance - put underwear in a small one for say a 3 day stop in London, then 2 pair in for Leeds (this is all hypothetical). Then when I went to whatever stop, I would pull out bags for the stopover. Made packing a breeze. Now I use my foodsaver and vacuum pack my PH things so there is no leaking. I just seal things without vacuum packing if I want them to be water/dust free but not scrunched if it is clothing.
Old Feb 25th, 2006, 11:20 PM

All these suggestions are valid and l ahve used these zip lock/space saving bags on alot of my travels - but you have to be careful that you don't fit so much extra in that you are then travelling very heavy. Also the zip lock bags are available in a form where you role the air out anf then zip them. They become very hard and are a good base in soft sided suitcases. l boughtmine in the supermarket. Good Luck!