Notices

Vacation versus Travel?

Old May 8th, 2020, 03:25 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vacation versus Travel?

Thread on sharing info about travel made me think there is a difference between travel and vacation, starting with what you call it. Certainly some overlap, but I think of vacation as a relaxing break from regular routine - like a cruise, AI, cabin on a lake. Limited stress and work in both planning and while there. Travel is often not relaxing - there are always logistics and uncertainties to be addressed and location is often out of usual comfort zone. I think this might explain why some people go to the same cottage every year for 2 weeks in July - they may just need a break more than others. Plus may be more uncomfortable with unknown than others. For us, we enjoy both.
Old May 8th, 2020, 06:45 AM

Received 14 Likes on 3 Posts
Welcome to Fodors Timothy! Can you tell us more about where you live and where you plan to travel for your next vacation? Are you working from home or working in an essential field?
Old May 10th, 2020, 07:29 AM

Because I work full-time, my traveling is all for "vacation" in these years of my life. I don't go to the same cabin and have never been to an all inclusive resort (not interested) but I do choose to vacation at beach destinations. I love Puerto Vallarta Mexico, Waikiki/Honolulu Hawaii, Negril Jamaica, are my favorites. Has nothing to do with being "uncomfortable with the unknown"... rather it is easier to get the R&R I seek in a place I know. I don't go "sight seeing" I just live in the beautiful, sunny, beachy place with palm trees and gorgeous sunsets for a few weeks.

I agree about "travel" not being relaxing. I have loved my (5) trips to Europe and as amazing as they were, they were definitely "work" not "vacation".

Good question! Thanks for posting!! Welcome to Fodor's!!!
Old May 12th, 2020, 05:43 AM
mms

We enjoy both, going to a remote cabin as well as going to cities/etc but for me. Going to a cabin can definitely require more work than say a European vacation. We have family that lives in the Alaskan bush, so when we go up there, it can be a lot of work just to get there. If we meet our family there, it means we fly to AK, then take a charter flight, which those are only 1 or 2 times a day and have to be scheduled about 6 months in advance, and weather delays are extremely common, and then we take a float plane, which again these do not operate like a regular commercial flight. And then we hike for 5 hours to get to the cabin. Or we fly to AK and our family picks us up and then we go to their house (they live on an airstrip) and we get in their bush plane and go. Again, weather can be very fickle, so you don't know if you will be weathered in. Last fall when we went, getting in was fine, but on the day we left our family flew us to the nearest village and we took the charter flight back. They went back to get the second load, but ended up getting weathered in in just an hour. So this can be a huge factor in flying back home, if you don't get out and miss your flight. No cell service, to call either. So while it is definitely not most peoples version of going to a cabin, it does come with some stress. Plus, you do not leave the cabin doors without a gun and a dog. I am used to that now, but the first trip up there, the first few days, that took a bit to get used to.

European trips/ etc can be super relaxing if you want. It just depends on what you want to do and where you want to go. If you stay put in one area, it is super easy, and if you go where there is not a language barrier, it is even more relaxing, IME.
Old May 13th, 2020, 03:12 PM

Europe travel is "harder" for me because of how long the plane trip is from Seattle, how significant the time change is, and the greater expense. I wouldn't go all that way and just stay in one place, so that adds planning for a couple cities or regions, extra time and expense of travel by train between places. Foreign language is never a "barrier" for me. My other style vacation isn't in the outback, rather a resort destination in Hawaii or Mexico, WAY easier than going to Europe.
Old May 14th, 2020, 05:11 AM
mms

suze--As you know, we also fly out of Seattle. The flight does not bother me at all, but I am able to sleep on the plane and we will pay more money to go nonstop if at all possible. We have gone to Europe and stayed in one place and taken day trips, but that is not our norm. We like to be on the go, so usually are staying in at least two different areas. I don't find it difficult, but I know some people do. Same for the language barrier, but obviously if you go to a place where they speak the same language as you, it is easier because you don't need to "think" in two languages, that is all I was saying. Yes, our vacation styles differ a lot, and that is a good thing. We all need to do what interests us, and not what we are told to do. That way we are al getting the vacation that we want
Old May 29th, 2020, 03:33 PM

Personally, I don't really make a distinction between the two. Planning a vacation can be just as stressful for me, but going on vacations or traveling as has been defined here has been equally satisfying and memorable.
Old Jun 9th, 2020, 11:25 PM

this is interesting. i have almost always been "travelling" on a budget, and usually describe my trips to be more adventurous than relaxing. Always a great experience with plenty of takeaways.

but recently, as i grew older and earn more, i started to yearn for a "vacation" that is less tiring and adventurous. I dont mind going for the adventures once in a while but nowadays i realise i am more willing to spend money and time to go away to a secluded island and just do nothing.