Travel while pregnant - Countries with good healthcare

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 2nd, 2010, 10:21 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'll be about 20 weeks pregnant when we go on the trip this October. I'd like to go out of U.S since it will be a while before we would do international travel once the baby is here. I'd like to travel to a country where health care is accessible for visitors. If there are any issues we'd be eligible for free (reduce cost) health care. I might look into travel health insurance if there are options like that.
I would love some ideas on safe countries to travel to. We're focusing on Europe (minus France, Italy, England) since its only 7 - 10 hours away.....
It would be great to hear from people that have traveled while pregnant. Any tips and ideas would be great as well.
I've done searches for previous posts but most people from U.S were either doing a domestic trip or going to the Caribbean.

Thanks!
Old Sep 2nd, 2010, 10:31 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
If you're thinking of traveling to Europe you'd get better answers on the Europe board. However, you MUST check whether your US medical insurance covers you when abroad. If not, you need medical insurance. You also need medical evacuation insurance. Some countries won't charge you for emergency care, but that's not always the case - sometimes it depends on the doctor or hospital involved. There was a long thread on medical insurance on the Asia board recently - also applicable to Europe.
Old Sep 3rd, 2010, 06:49 PM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
I also suggest posting on the Europe forum. Not too many people read this 'travel tips' branch.
Absolutely you will need extra travel health insurance, you can't count on your home insurance being accepted in foreign countries or that you'd get free or reduced cost care.
Old Sep 3rd, 2010, 07:20 PM

"you can't count on your home insurance being accepted in foreign countries" - a more likely problem is that US insurance won't cover you abroad. Usually you have to pay upfront and then submit claims forms when you get home. (Remember - costs are MUCH lower in other countries.) In Switzerland the hospital called my insurance company in the US to verify my coverage, and didn't require me to pay when I left.
Old Sep 4th, 2010, 07:54 AM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
I thought that's what I was saying, thursdaysd. That your home insurance will likely not work abroad, and you need to be ready to pony up the cash for treatment (even if you get reimbursed later on).
Old Sep 4th, 2010, 08:19 AM

Sorry suze - I thought you were saying that it wouldn't cover you at all - which is certainly true in some cases - including, unfortunately, Medicare.
Old Sep 15th, 2010, 09:08 PM

I did a domestic trip (flying Sydney to Melbourne) while pregnant (I'd just entered third trimester). I found it helpful to rest up during the day and put my feet up in the afternoons, so we never ventured too far from the hotel (except for one day when we spent a lot of time in the car). To be honest I was actually pretty uncomfortable at times, but that was me and hopefully you won't have the same experience.

Just about anywhere in Europe (esp. western Europe) has good health care. You need to make sure that your health care / travel insurance will cover you while abroad if pregnant. Ditto flying - some airlines like a letter from your doctor to say you are OK to fly. Check with your airline what the limits are - after a certain number of weeks the airlines won't take you.

Lavandula
Old Sep 16th, 2010, 05:26 AM

The UK won't ask you to pay at the time for any emergency care but they will give you a bill at the end of it. Or at least they are supposed to, but don't always bother. Anyway, you really should get travel insurance wherever you are headed.