Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Travel Topics > Travel Tips & Trip Ideas
Reload this Page >

Travel Resolutions: Do You Have Any For 2015?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 6th, 2015, 05:30 AM
GLM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This came up in a blog post recently and it got me thinking. Do you any travel resolutions this year?

Here are mine:
-I want to travel more for work. Yes, I am one of those crazy people who likes business trips.
-Take a road trip. I am due for a good one. I would really like to do the California coast again with plenty of time to spare.
-Spend more time in France. I'm an addict. Sorry.
Old Jan 6th, 2015, 06:57 PM

To do two trips. One in June and one in December. The first one is already booked and partially paid. The second is too early, but I will save up enough money for it.
Old Jan 7th, 2015, 08:22 PM

For once, I'd like to take a trip that brings me home refreshed and renewed. We love all our vacations and find them inspiring and life-changing, but we often return from our trips feeling tired and wishing we had more time off before returning to the hustle and bustle of our normal lives. We do like to do a lot, which is partly a fault of our personalities. I wish our vacations felt like vacations.
Old Jan 8th, 2015, 11:43 AM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
My vacations ARE vacations. I come back completely resorted and relaxed. But that's because I'm currently spending time at a beach town in either Mexico or Hawaii. Not traipsing around Europe or Asia or wherever.
Old Jan 8th, 2015, 06:42 PM

I've discovered that, for me, the best way to avoid feeling exhausted when returning to work is to have a few extra days vacation between coming home and going back to work. That gives me time to unpack, do laundry, transfer photos to the computer, go through the post etc.
Old Jan 8th, 2015, 07:48 PM

Points taken. The question referred to "travel" resolutions, which I take to mean things you'd like to change about the way you travel or things you'd like to accomplish this year. I see "traveling" or "touring" as not always inclusive of "vacation". We recently had to travel out of the country to visit family, and it was anything but a vacation. So for me, a resolution would be to make more of our "traveling" a relaxing experience as well... anyegr, I agree, we do build in some days at the end of the trip to get back into the routine, but somehow it never feels like enough. I think one resolution would be to better pre-plan and anticipate what would make the return home easier. Most of our trips involve significant jet lag.
Old Jan 12th, 2015, 03:56 PM

Hitting new destinations, even when traveling to somewhere familiar. I've been to Vieques, but next month I'm pairing it with Culebra. I've been to Puerto Vallarta, but I'm pairing it with Mexico City in May. October brings repeat visits to Austria and Germany, yet new destinations within those countries. I'm excited for all that's not familiar in 2015 when it comes to travel!
Old Jan 15th, 2015, 12:10 AM

I will try something new this time.My top travel goals this year is to make it to more of my own backyard.Between my interstate travel,I will be focusing on making more friends in each place that I visit.
Old Jan 15th, 2015, 08:27 AM

We have two travel resolutions this year: to go to new destinations and try not to return to the ones we know and love; and, as josephrichie99 says, to check out day trips in our area more energetically. Did one over the holidays and had a great time!

Then, my personal travel resolution is not to procrastinate researching airfares and buying tickets. This task falls to me, and I hate it, and I tend to put it off, and that makes me anxious...must stop the cycle!
Old Jan 17th, 2015, 07:23 PM

My resolution is to have more travel parties with specific theme nights based on the location to be explored! Another travel resolution is to take my mother wherever she wants to go this year and to take my sons and nieces on a Disney cruise.
Old Jan 29th, 2015, 02:06 AM

Good question! My travel resolution this year is to take more trips with my two young sons (five and three). I am guilty of putting off travel because it seems like an awful lot of hassle to pack all the stuff my boys need, get on a plane or get in the car for a long drive, and entertain them for the time we are away. But I know how much they enjoy trips so I aim to travel to places close by for a few days, which are full of activities they will like. I want to make the most of the time when they are growing up.
Old Jan 29th, 2015, 04:07 AM

I'd like to travel more...actually just some.

$ costs make it prohibitive. When I travelled a lot in the 1990's I could go to Europe for $290 to $320 RT in the off season. Now it is $1000+ off season. Other costs all skyrocketed as well. Sadly my income has not kept up with inflation.
Old Jan 29th, 2015, 04:08 AM

For once, I'd like to take a trip that brings me home refreshed and renewed."

The only vacations that do that for us are lazy vacations to the beach. When we travelled for so-called vacations to Europe it was work. No relaxation for us either.