Travel Insurance for Zika Virus?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 2nd, 2016, 09:22 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We have a family vacation planned for this coming July, to the Outer Banks of North Carolina. We just found out that my son's wife is expecting, which was great news. However, the Zika Virus has been reported in NC, so my son and daughter-in-law are bowing out, which is very disappointing, though completely understandable.

We are trying to decide what to do - go ahead without my son and his wife, try to switch to a smaller rental house (going from 12 people to 9), or try to re-schedule the entire trip somewhere else so that everyone can still go (probably my preferred action at this time). We signed a lease for a rental house in November, and have already paid 50% of the $6,000 lease. We purchased cancellation insurance, and of course, nothing as specific as cancellation for this type of reason is mentioned in the coverage. What is mentioned that could be related, and is covered, is "a family member's covered sickness or injury that occurs a) before the departure date: b) requires medical treatment at the time of cancellation; and c) as certified by a Physician, results in medical restrictions so disabling as to cause your trip to be cancelled." Not exactly what we're dealing with here. It also states that benefits are not payable resulting from normal pregnancy.

My daughter-in-law is going to ask her doctor for a note cautioning her about the dangers of Zika and recommending that she does not go, but I don't know if that will suffice.

We have not yet approached the insurance company. If anyone can offer advice on the best way to proceed, I'd love to hear it. Do you think there is any chance that the insurance coverage would honor a cancellation under these circumstances?
Old Apr 2nd, 2016, 09:36 AM

Have you considered approaching the rental agency, or whoever you rented the house from?

If they can get another renter--and that's likely, this far out--maybe they'd be willing to give you a refund under the circumstances.

Airlines have been allowing pregnant people to cancel trips to Zika zones without penalty; I realize a VRBO (if that's what it is) is different, but I'd still give it a go.
Old Apr 2nd, 2016, 09:53 AM

Is North Carolina a Zika zone though? As I understand it, the reported cases have been travel related. I don't know that the virus has been identified yet in NC's indigenous mosquitos. Unless and until it is, the insurance company and landlord may not be sympathetic. Couldn't hurt to find out though. Of course if I'm wrong and NC is a hotspot then you obviously have a stronger argument.
Old Apr 2nd, 2016, 01:40 PM

Looks like you're right, indyhiker: http://www.kare11.com/mb/news/local/...in-nc/72530515
Old Apr 3rd, 2016, 06:25 AM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
>>We are trying to decide what to do - go ahead without my son and his wife,<<

There have been no travel related case in the Entire US - not just NC - not a single one.

There is no reason to cancel, you OR her..

http://www.cdc.gov/zika/geo/index.html

Per that site >><blue>US States

Travel-associated Zika virus disease cases reported: 312
Locally acquired vector-borne cases reported: </blue><B><red>0</B></red><<

Just maybe did you think 'travel related' means they got it just traveling? . . . it means they got it traveling internationally to a region where the virus exists.

>>My daughter-in-law is going to ask her doctor for a note cautioning her about the dangers of Zika and recommending that she does not go, but I don't know if that will suffice. <<

I doubt very much the doctor will give a note advising against traveling to a place where there is no danger of getting the virus. No more than traveling to Seattle or San Francisco or NYC or Minot ND.
Old Apr 3rd, 2016, 06:42 AM
Original Poster

Thanks to all for your input and suggestions, still considering what to do.
Old Apr 3rd, 2016, 11:20 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The fact there are as yet no cases in the US of people contracting the Zika virus from mosquito bites says nothing about what the situation will be in July. There are people in the US, including NC, who have contracted Zika, either elsewhere or through sexual transmission. Perhaps the disease will remain restricted to such people, and none of them will be bitten by an Aedes aegypti mosquito, perhaps not.

If I were pregnant I would certainly consider going somewhere else, but at this stage I would not expect an insurance pay out. Also, the range of the mosquito is considerable:
http://www.cdc.gov/zika/vector/index.html - but there is not a lot of point in going to the beach if you have to stay indoors all the time.
Old Apr 3rd, 2016, 12:32 PM

<No more than traveling to Seattle or San Francisco or NYC or Minot ND.>

Nonsense. Since no one knows when the Aedes aegypti mosquitoes in the US will start transmitting Zika, or if they ever will, it makes sense to avoid particularly mosquito-y areas if you're pregnant.

A vacation in the desert southwest would be appealing...
Old Apr 3rd, 2016, 12:46 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
Well -- there are mosquitos in all those places . . . including the desert during the monsoon season during the summer.
Old Apr 3rd, 2016, 01:11 PM

Not Aedes aegypti mosquitoes. Take a look at the maps I linked. The virus is only transmitted by that one species of mosquito.
Old Apr 3rd, 2016, 01:44 PM

Yep. If you live in Aedes aegypti territory, you make it your business to know these things.
Old Apr 7th, 2016, 05:06 AM
Original Poster

We spoke to the kids about this, and it turns out my DIL would not feel comfortable going to ANY beachy location along the East Coast, as the onset of summer could conceivably see these mosquitos much farther north than OBX. Her doctor agreed with this.

We'd already booked flights from San Diego for one daughter and her boyfriend, and my other daughter, her husband and 3 kids are also set to go - I don't want to disappoint the other kids, so there's no point trying to cancel and re-schedule somewhere else. We'll just go ahead with the plan, and hope that the Zika scare wanes enough that everyone can come ... realizing the chances are kind of slim.

Of course we are disappointed, as this would be our first vacation with the whole family together since our kids were little, and it took a lot of time, effort, tinkering with destinations and everyone's work schedules, etc. to put his together. In the end, none of us want to take any chances with the health of our unborn grandchild, no matter how small the chances might be that something bad could happen ... this is the most important aspect.

Thanks to all for your suggestions.
Old Apr 7th, 2016, 05:33 AM

Pity, but the potential downside is just too devastating.
Old Apr 7th, 2016, 08:29 AM

Sorry, phillyboy! I hope those who can still go will have a lovely vacation all the same.

<and hope that the Zika scare wanes enough that everyone can come>
I hope it will, too, but I think this summer will be a watchful one for all of us , as no one knows what the height of mosquito season in the US will bring.
Old Apr 7th, 2016, 11:42 AM

Thanks for the update. I hope your family has a good time notwithstanding the change to your plans and that in whatever number of months, you welcome a healthy baby into your family.