Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Travel Topics > Travel Tips & Trip Ideas
Reload this Page >

Travel Guard wants more than a death certificate to settle claim.

Old May 30th, 2009, 01:15 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My father passed away Oct 9, 2008. I've sent 2 death certs to Travel Guard, but now they want his doctor to complete Section C of the claim. They say it's because they need to know if it was a pre-existing condition. My father had a heart condition, but none of us expected to hear a diagnosis of lung cancer 3 days before we were supposed to take our trip. Frankly, what difference would it make if we did know it was pre-existing; does that mean anyone w/a parent w/cancer can't buy trip insurance?
We went to the doctor's office on 9/30; his primary care doc didn't like the way his lungs sounded. W/in hours, he was admitted to the hospital where he passed away on 10/9. Once we left the doctor's office, his doc never saw him again. There were at least 5-6 docs that saw him in the hospital, all for something different. When I originally called TravelGuard for instructions, they said a death cert would be enough. Now they want more. I'm looking for any advice on how to approach them again so I don't have to bug his doctor. I can just hear his reaction, "Why do you need anything more than a death cert?" The amount we submitted was apprx $450. Thank you.
Old May 30th, 2009, 01:44 PM

It depends on when you took out the travel insurance policy and what the pre-existing condition provision is. If you don't take out the policy at the time you book the trip or a few weeks thereafter, most policies have a 6 month or 12 month pre-existing condition.

The Insurer will not pay for any loss or expense incurred as the result of an Injury, Sickness or other condition of an Insured,Traveling Companion, or Immediate Family
Member which, within the 180 day period immediately preceding
and including the Insured’s coverage effective date: first
manifested itself or had symptoms which would have prompted a
reasonable person to seek diagnosis, care or treatment; or for
which care or treatment was given or recommended by a
Physician; or required the taking of prescription drugs or
medicines, unless the condition for which the drugs or medicines are taken remains controlled without any change in the prescription drugs or medicines.

Seeing that you Dad did not take the policy out AFTER hearing he had cancer, he should be covered; but the Insurance Company needs verification of the timing. So, the quickest way to resolve this is to provide the additional information they asked for
Old May 30th, 2009, 02:09 PM

Ask Travel Guard to send you a copy of their written policy for documention of a death.
How did you buy your policy was it through another company? If so complain to them as well.
Old May 30th, 2009, 07:03 PM

Kimacnz - don't worry about "bugging" the doctor. He's been asked for things like this before and he knows he will be again. He will simply say "sure drop it off at the office and I'll sign it".

Sometimes I think we all tend to create a lot more worry and work for ourselves than to simply ask for help from someone. It will take no more than 5 minutes of the doctor's time to help you out versus days or months of your time trying to find a way around it.
Old May 30th, 2009, 07:54 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
"does that mean anyone w/a parent w/cancer can't buy trip insurance?" - as landlcochran said, not unless you buy it when you book the trip, unless you can find one that doesn't have a pre-existing condition clause.

None of us can say anything very useful without knowing the exact terms of your policy. But if all you need is a statement that he was first diagnosed on a certain date, I can't imagine why you think the doctor would have a problem doing that.
Old May 30th, 2009, 10:01 PM

It is just not unreasonable to provide the documentation they are requesting to process your claim. For the doctor to comply with a simple request should not be a "bother". It does make a difference whether the condition was pre-existing, as to whether or not you are covered, depending on the terms and conditions and date of purchase of your policy. If, as you say, it was not, then providing the requested documentation will verify that.

The person who answers the phone and gets you started processing your claim is not necessarily an authority, and answers the question you ask, as you describe the circumstances.

You're just going to have to do what is requested in order to have your claim approved for payment.
Old May 31st, 2009, 12:11 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
palmettoprincess" " . . . . If so complain to them as well." And why would you suggest that? As explained above - this is totally normal procedure for both the insurance company and the doctor. TravelGuard is doing nothing wrong. So far there is nothing to complain about.
Old Jun 1st, 2009, 02:40 AM
Original Poster

Thank you all for your advice. It has been very helpful. I appreciate the info on why they might require more info than a death cert. Thanks again.
Old Jun 11th, 2009, 05:34 AM

I'm sorry to hear about your loss. I hope the paperwork gets straightened out quickly.