Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Travel Topics > Travel Tips & Trip Ideas
Reload this Page >

Tourists are choosing destinations for having more covid restrictions?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 11th, 2022, 09:25 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The logic appears to be that you're less likely to get infected in places where they maintain restrictions and have good enforcement.

That's in contrast to the often-expressed opinion on some travel forums that they don't want to go if they have to wear masks or be vaccinated.

A majority of travelers (54%) say that in 2022, they will pick a destination known for strong COVID-19 safety protocols, according to the latest Expedia Travel Outlook. Slightly fewer (48%) are choosing a destination with low COVID-19 case counts.

But how do you do this? To avoid COVID on your next vacation, you have to study the maps, review the destination's COVID policies, and pick the safest accommodations.
Read in USA TODAY: https://apple.news/AzoOFj7ETSqOWBi3yPVjjHQ

A lot of the people quoted in the article are in the travel industry.

You can find places that are less likely to leave you infected. Jack Plaxe, a senior consultant with Guidepost Solutions, a global security consulting and investigative firm, has a checklist of sites he reviews before making travel plans. He refers to this as gathering 'pre-departure intelligence.'"

They include the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention's Traveler's Health page, which lists 244 international destinations, each with an associated COVID-19 health score. "There is also a color-coded map that shows the COVID-19 risk by country," he says.

Plaxe also checks the State Department's website, which has a page with COVID-19 information, including country-specific requirements for entry, testing, and isolation periods. And if cases are trending upward, Plaxe advises his clients to reconsider the need to travel.

Also, check vaccination rates. The higher the rate, the less likely you'll have a new strain of COVID causing a runaway infection. I visited the United Arab Emirates, one of the most vaccinated countries on the planet, at the peak of the omicron surge. The vaccine and testing requirements were rigid, but I felt safe.
I don't know, the CDC and State Dept were discouraging travel to most or all European countries last year and there were times when they were faring much better than the US.

They had a much slower vaccination rollout but some places like Italy really drove their numbers down by the summer.

Not that I had plans any time soon for Brazil, Russia or many Easter European countries but their handling of the pandemic certainly inspires less confidence.

Old Feb 11th, 2022, 09:40 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
But vaccinations don't work, right, so how can they have driven any numbers down? Same thing with masks; we are told they don;t work either. Now, tell me where I can go and none of the morons spouting this BS live and I'll consider it.
Old Feb 11th, 2022, 09:40 AM

This is how I chose my vacation destination last fall. I did stay in the US for fear of getting stuck somewhere too far from home. I went to DC and Baltimore. Both cities had strong COVID protocols that were being enforced. Both of my lodging choices also had strong protocols. Both cities have many things to do outside. I also went during off season but I usually do that anyway. While some places had limited hours, I was able to fill 7 days with a lot of activities.
Old Feb 11th, 2022, 10:17 AM
Original Poster

UK, Denmark and Switzerland are said to be dropping all restrictions soon.

I think Switzerland had some kind of vaccine passport or pass for a few months.

They see low hospitalizations and deaths due to high vaccine percentage, including boosters.

But now there's a study of VA records showing that even mild cases of covid increases risk of strokes and heart failures for at least a year after the infection. Doesn't matter if you're old or young, smoker or nonsmoker.

Old Feb 11th, 2022, 11:54 AM

We went to Hawaii last summer and a big part of the decision to go was their strong COVID protocols. We skipped a wedding in Las Vegas because that city doesn't seem to take COVID seriously.
Old Feb 11th, 2022, 12:01 PM

I will certainly choose based on Covid numbers and protocols in place. I want to take a cruise, but many lines are eliminating masks and allowing unvaccinated children. I won’t be going on those ships. I also am concerned about ports of call. I think we are easing restrictions and mandates too soon. Another two to four weeks and I would feel safer. The numbers just are not low enough yet.

Last edited by Sassafrass; Feb 11th, 2022 at 12:02 PM. Reason: Spelling
Old Feb 11th, 2022, 12:21 PM

Originally Posted by Sassafrass
I will certainly choose based on Covid numbers and protocols in place. I want to take a cruise, but many lines are eliminating masks and allowing unvaccinated children. I won’t be going on those ships. I also am concerned about ports of call. I think we are easing restrictions and mandates too soon. Another two to four weeks and I would feel safer. The numbers just are not low enough yet.
Interesting point. I was going to say that I would not let Covid related issues affect my decision, but then you brought up cruises, which have always felt like an infection waiting to happen, even in the best of times. I've been on cruises and I know they are taking all kinds of precautions, but, no, I can't go there yet.

Old Feb 11th, 2022, 01:26 PM

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
I’m not flexing my Passport just yet either, but I would definitely make my choices based on a place’s Covid response and capacity to deal with hospitalisations.

Old Feb 11th, 2022, 01:36 PM

Received 83 Likes on 5 Posts
I think Switzerland had some kind of vaccine passport or pass for a few months.

They still do, as does most of Europe at the moment.

And the use of this COVID certificate - and mandatory mask use indoors and on public transport - made us feel very comfortable during our month long stay in Switzerland last fall.

This same COVID certificate, of which ours has expired, is our only stumbling block with our upcoming planned trip to Portugal next month. We can't seem to obtain one, and Portugal requires it for hotels and restaurants, etc. Well the government does, what businesses are actually doing is another thing altogether, but not knowing who will and will not accept our CDC cards is throwing a major spanner in the works. I really hope we don't have to cancel for a third time.
Old Feb 11th, 2022, 03:10 PM
Forum Moderator

Moved to the Travel Tips forum
Old Feb 11th, 2022, 07:32 PM

I have now been on quite a few cruises and always find comments about the health dangers interesting. I don’t really like hot tubs with people I don’t know and sometimes I pass on buffets that look crowded, but in general I do not think twice about it.
I taught elementary, middle school, then high school. Talk about an unhealthy environment. Many, if not most, classrooms today have poor ventilation, no windows or none that open and, in my case, anywhere from 90 to 125 kids per day, 20 to 30 at a time, in a totally enclosed space, sitting close, sharing supplies and materials. Unless teachers take it upon themselves to do it or to get kids to do it, tables and desks are rarely cleaned. I used to spray tables and sometimes chairs as soon as one class left and give incoming students paper towels. They had to clean and dry before they could sit. It helped. If you send your child to school, Ships seem pristine by comparison.

Nail salons and gyms seem positively nasty by comparison. Even churches, with everybody singing, joining hands, etc., seems pretty iffy. We conveniently overlook a lot of very germ ridden places.
Old Feb 13th, 2022, 11:41 AM

I just went on two cruises out of Los Angeles, to the Mexican Riviera. The first was only for 5 days on NCL Bliss, a HUGE ship but with only 900 passengers there was plenty of space and I had a balcony cabin. NCL did the testing at the pier, so no one could cheat, and you had to provide proof of vaccination. Once on board, I felt pretty safe. I only ate in the buffet and handwashing was enforced. Virtually no children on board (nor on Princess). When I got home, I booked a 7-day on a Majestic Princess a slightly smaller but more crowded-feeling ship. That one felt less safe to me. Passenger loads were higher (1300 or a bit under 40% of maximum capacity). Still required proof of vaccination, but tests were not administered at the port, instead up to 48 hours ahead (proctored only or at a pharmacy). Less enforcement of handwashing, many more passengers in the interior spaces with no masks. (Crew do wear theirs). I ate dinner in the MDRs but managed to get a private table with good spacing on most nights. Plenty of opportunities for spread on that ship, it does not surprise me that two of the big outbreaks at the start of the pandemic were on Princess vessels. I am not likely to cruise on Princess or Carnival branded ships in the near future as they continue to drop measures and increase loads (it's obvious that a lot of people don't want to wear masks).

I figure two more days of isolation and then I'm probably safe to go out. But we have the Stooperbowl in town and LA will likely have a surge and be less safe than on board a cruise ship.

I also went to Alaska and Hawaii last year based on their strongish protocols and lowish rates at the time. Of course they also had surges both before and after my visit, but my timing was around the surges. How did I manage to do that? I dunno, some of us can read the statistics put out by the state health agencies. I also don't hang out in bars or crowded theaters. Most of my activities are outdoors. In Hawaii I rented a vehicle or walked and used private transfers from the airport. In Alaska I was on a small (8 person) group tour, all of us fully-vaxed.

And yeah, I won't go inside a gym yet, either.

Last edited by mlgb; Feb 13th, 2022 at 11:55 AM.
Old Feb 14th, 2022, 08:17 AM

A further comment, I felt that the LOCALS in Mexico were far more likely to wear masks including outdoors and mostly on public transportation. I could see a few unmasked through windows on the local bus in PV but maybe they were gringos. I only went inside an OXXO in Cabo to buy a drink for about a minute, no other shopping. I ate in two restaurants (Cabo and PV) but was able to sit an open patio or near the breezeway at the front door.

All employees wore masks. In the restaurants you would not see any customer wearing a mask.
At this point, since Mexico is only a short flight from home, I would feel relatively safe traveling there, especially if I could "lie" my way into a fourth jab and would research private hospitals and COVID rates.

After another day, I will assume I have survived a 7-day cruise without picking up the Omi and may burn one of the free tests that came in the mail when I was away.

I am still more nervous about going to a grocery store here at home.

Last edited by mlgb; Feb 14th, 2022 at 08:22 AM.