Transferring in Incheon Int. during COVID-19 restrictions

Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 2nd, 2020, 06:59 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey everyone, this is a bit of an odd one.

Introduction: I have secured a position with a company in Mongolia. As some of you may or may not know, Mongolia has had closed borders for several months now due to COVID-19. I've been waiting for the chance to get a flight into Mongolia, and the opportunity has finally arrived this month. My employer has managed to secure me a seat on a special flight with Mongolia Airlines, the only airline doing international flights into Mongolia - reserved for nationals and people on business only.

My situation: I am in the UK, and the flight into Mongolia departs from Incheon International in Seoul. So, I must fly to this airport first.

My issue: South Korea has a mandatory 2 week quarantine period upon entering the country. As I understand, as soon as you are through immigration and you have your luggage, you are whisked off to a government quarantine facility for 2 weeks at your expense. Now, if I could get a ticket from the UK --> Seoul --> Ulan Bator (Mongolia), this would be no problem as I wouldn't need to enter South Korea, I would simply transfer via Incheon International. However, since I cannot use Mongolia Airlines to get to Seoul from the UK, I can't do this. I have no choice but to take a different airline to Seoul, then depart and collect my luggage, and then check-in at the airport with Mongolia Airlines. My concern is that as soon as I collect my luggage I'll be whisked off for a 2 week quarantine, no allowances made, just do it, and I'll miss my flight to Mongolia.

Does anyone know a possible solution? If I arrived in Seoul, would South Korean immigration listen to what I have to say and allow me to just re-enter the airport, or would they force me into their quarantine facility?

I'm aware Incheon has a transfer desk, but I cannot collect my luggage without first going through immigration and entering the country.

Thanks.

Last edited by radioshaman; Nov 2nd, 2020 at 07:02 AM.
Old Nov 2nd, 2020, 01:16 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
I suggest you ask over on FlyerTalk. They seem to know everything about anything related to airlines, travel, hotels, covid-19 entry requirements, transit procedures, etc. Many FT members are UK based and there are quite a few in Korea too, so they will probably have specific advice re your situation.

Old Nov 3rd, 2020, 12:31 AM
Original Poster

I'll do that, thanks very much :3
Old Nov 3rd, 2020, 08:56 AM

This website has information regarding transit rules in Seoul.It seems that you need to be through checked both for flight and luggage. Are you sure that your arrival airline into Seoul has no baggage interline agreement with Mongolian Airlines?

https://www.gov.uk/foreign-travel-ad...y-requirements

The above link does say there are some exceptions to the rules for business & other purposes but you would need to confirm that with the Korean Embassy in the UK.

Old Nov 3rd, 2020, 09:38 AM

Received 26 Likes on 4 Posts
JAL/Japan Airlines has a recent codeshare agreement with Mongolian so you might be able to work a 1 ticket itinerary from the UK with baggage checked through to Ulan Bator with them. I suggest you call JAL to see what might be arranged (assuming you haven't already bought your UK-Seoul ticket).

Old Nov 4th, 2020, 01:24 AM
Original Poster

Thank you, I'll do that
Old Nov 4th, 2020, 01:27 AM
Original Poster

Thank you