Tipping tour guide

Jun 17th, 2019, 01:02 PM
Original Poster

Tipping tour guide

do you need to tip a tour guide if they own the business?
Jun 17th, 2019, 01:04 PM

Tipping customs are different all over the world. Without knowing where you are going and what type of tour it is - no one can answer that question.
Jun 19th, 2019, 09:21 AM

Since your question is “need to tip”” I think the answer you’re hoping for is “no.”
Jun 19th, 2019, 12:14 PM

No. If they own the business, they set the prices. Why would you pay more than they are asking?
Jun 19th, 2019, 02:31 PM

We’ve been using private tour guides on our trips for years. Almost all of them have been independent contractors that either we hired directly or were hired by the travel consultant who put together the itinerary for us.

In in all cases we always paid the requested fee and added a gratuity, the amount of which was based on the length of the tour and how good the guide was.

To us, it is no different than giving the taxi driver who takes you from the airport to your hotel a tip or tipping the person who cuts your hair.
Jun 19th, 2019, 03:06 PM

From another thread it seems the OP is on an extensive trip to South Africa -- if that is what she is asking about, then yes, one would absolutely tip game drive guides and drivers.

But maybe she is asking about someplace else.
Jun 22nd, 2019, 07:08 AM

Great answers on general tipping issues, but the actual question was 'do you need to tip a tour guide if they own the business?
Jun 22nd, 2019, 09:03 AM

You don’t “need” to tip anyone, especially if it It someone you are never going to see again.

Now, tipping a tour guide, is something many people will do if they enjoyed the tour and/or had a good rapport with the guide regardless whether or not the guide was an employee of the tour company or it’s owner. A tour guide will always appreciate a gratuity whether it is customary to give one or not. It is really up to you.
Jun 22nd, 2019, 09:59 AM

Originally Posted by crellston View Post
Great answers on general tipping issues, but the actual question was 'do you need to tip a tour guide if they own the business?
Even with that qualifier -- it depends on the local customs so we do need to know where the OP is traveling and wat sort of tour it is. If it is for the African trip/safari the answers could be different.
Jun 22nd, 2019, 08:04 PM
kja

Originally Posted by RoamsAround View Post
A tour guide will always appreciate a gratuity whether it is customary to give one or not.
That's certainly not true in Japan!
Jun 25th, 2019, 06:55 AM

On group tours, I have taken the guide aside and asked what is common practice. Who knows better and maybe the answer will be straightforward.
Jun 27th, 2019, 08:32 AM

"On group tours, I have taken the guide aside and asked what is common practice. Who knows better and maybe the answer will be straightforward.” The answer is hardly likely to be objective is it?
Jun 27th, 2019, 12:29 PM

It isn't unusual for tour companies to respond to inquiries about suggested tip amounts. Often you will find that in the contracts or if not, email them in advance. You can then "verify" the suggested amount as a standard. Tips are really your choice. My experience is that one doesn't tip company owners.

Last edited by Moderator3; Jun 27th, 2019 at 07:53 PM.
Jun 27th, 2019, 09:16 PM

I see the moderators post responding to mine #13 above has been removed! For the sake of clarity, I was responding to post #11.

The fact still remains that the original question was about tipping business owners. I really don’t think the location or country or tipping culture has any bearing on this. Owners set there own prices and presumably achieve the profit margins they are happy with. Why would anyone want to pay more?
Jun 27th, 2019, 10:09 PM

Its all rely on you. If your trip was awesome with your trip guide and you are impressed with him/her then go for it. No one can answer this question. All dependable on you.
Jun 28th, 2019, 06:32 AM

I think tipping should be a personal decision.
Jun 28th, 2019, 03:34 PM

Originally Posted by emogil View Post
do you need to tip a tour guide if they own the business?
+1 for Crellston.

The question was, “do you need to tip a tour guide IF THEY OWN THE BUSINESS? (Caps mine).

The answer is, No. Owners set their own prices. There is no requirement/need/compulsion to tip them over & above that.

Jun 28th, 2019, 04:42 PM

Originally Posted by Bokhara2 View Post

+1 for Crellston.

The question was, “do you need to tip a tour guide IF THEY OWN THE BUSINESS? (Caps mine).

The answer is, No. Owners set their own prices. There is no requirement/need/compulsion to tip them over & above that.

Not necessarily so! A few years ago we hired a private guide who was the owner of the company to take us on a week long tour of Normandy. We paid him his fee, his accommodations and food, all of which wasn’t inexpensive. At the end of the trip we thanked him and flew home without giving him a tip. A week after we returned he sent us an email telling us it was “customary” to give guides a 10% tip. When we ignored the email he followed that up with a phone call making a similar request. Evidently he didn’t think the fee he requested was enough.

Jun 28th, 2019, 06:31 PM
kja

Originally Posted by RoamsAround View Post
Evidently he didn’t think the fee he requested was enough.
That was his problem. IMO, no tip was appropriate in that situation.