Search

Theft prevention in Spain

Search this Thread

Old Sep 5th, 2019, 01:59 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Theft prevention in Spain

My wife and I will be traveling to Barcelona. I usually use a money belt to conceal valuables such as credit cards. Does anyone have a suggestion on what works best for a lady to conceal items such as credit cards?
Old Sep 5th, 2019, 03:20 PM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
a money belt
Old Sep 5th, 2019, 04:28 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
What suze said. I wear it with the pouch at the back. And I never access it in public....
Old Sep 5th, 2019, 07:09 PM
kja

I'm a woman and I always use an under-clothes passport pouch for those things. Some call that a money belt, though some purists would say a money belt is slightly different. (There are belts that literally have a slit into which one can put money. IMO, that is not a solution that works for most purposes). Many under-clothes passport pouches sit around the waist, and when I use one of those, I put the pouch in the back. I prefer ones that are like a shoulder holster, which I clip to my bra for extra security. There are also some that hang on a band around one's neck -- but I don't like those because someone could, in theory, reach and cut the cord (not to mention that I don't like the sensation). In addition, one get get small pocket-like things that are just large enough for a credit card or two that one can clip to a bra, and there are lightweight pocketed vests to be worn under one's clothes.

The keys are (a) no access from outside your clothing and (b) never ever access it in public. EVER.
Old Sep 6th, 2019, 07:08 AM

Received 8 Likes on 1 Post
https://www.scottevest.com/womens-be...clothing.shtml
Old Sep 6th, 2019, 07:14 AM

She needs two methods... One that she can access during the day, such as a small cross body bag or purse. Then the second that is something under her clothes to "conceal valuables" (per your request) and is only accessed in private (like a money belt, neck pouch, sewn-in hidden pockets, security bra, etc.).
Old Sep 6th, 2019, 04:54 PM
kja

Originally Posted by suze
She needs two methods... One that she can access during the day, such as a small cross body bag or purse. Then the second that is something under her clothes to "conceal valuables" (per your request) and is only accessed in private (like a money belt, neck pouch, sewn-in hidden pockets, security bra, etc.).
There is that!
Old Sep 8th, 2019, 01:14 PM

Most of Europe, pickpocketing is big. To be safe I keep my debit card in my hotel safe. Funny, the only place I had something stolen (knock on wood) was Barcelona. Still a great country.
Old Sep 9th, 2019, 01:00 PM

It seems like it would be obvious, but I've read way too often on various travel forums about people (seems mostly women) accessing their money belt in a public place! Or wondering about how they are going to dig it out when they need to make a purchase.

That is not the idea behind using one -lol it's to keep things secure on your person, especially when you're moving around (on a train, don't have a hotel safe, etc.).
Old Sep 9th, 2019, 07:55 PM

A moneybelt is underwear.
Old Sep 9th, 2019, 08:20 PM
kja

Originally Posted by Traveler_Nick
A moneybelt is underwear.
Not always!
https://www.bing.com/images/search?v...vt=0&eim=1,2,6
Old Sep 13th, 2019, 07:44 AM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
I don't wear a money belt. I have a Kipling cross-body purse that has a sewn-in leash to clip to a wallet and both a flap and a zipper to open before the wallet. I also have a leather backpack with a zipper to the interior that can only be reached if I take the backpack off. Whether I take the purse or the backpack on a trip just depends on my mood and how many places I would be visiting where the backpack might not be allowed. Both have worked well for years.

When I sit in a restaurant, I place a chair leg through the strap of the purse or backpack so that it can't be grabbed/removed.
Old Dec 28th, 2019, 05:00 PM

The OP has probably travelled by now but I think this is always matter of concern. I am a solo female traveler who was robbed in Barcelona airport about ten years ago and it was an awful experience. I lost passport, credit cards, cash travel docs, phone etc and it took me five days to replace them. Since then I wear a sleeveless vest with many zippered pockets and carry everything in the pockets and don’t carry a purse. It may be easier because I don’t usually travel during summer months. If I am going somewhere fancy in the evening I wear a small crossbody bag with only one credit card and nothing else. I don’t know if this is the best solution but I feel relatively safe.
Old Jan 1st, 2020, 08:06 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I always have a separate pouch with 20-50 Euros to use during the day. I don't want to dig out my hidden valuables every time I buy something and if I do get pick pocketed, the amount stolen isn't going to ruin my trip.
Old Jan 6th, 2020, 08:49 PM

Thanks for the tips! I just have to look for a discreet bag for the camera and gadgets.