Search

Strangest Travel Wish

Search this Thread

Old Aug 12th, 2006, 09:11 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Strangest Travel Wish

I thought I'd throw out a different question for everyone:

What is the one really strange thing you wish to do on vacation that you have not yet done?

As an example, mine is to go to Worchester Cathedral and pay my respects to King John. I've had a strange obsession with him for years now (since I saw Lion in Winter as a kid) and just want to stand by his tomb and "commune". Weird? Definitely!
Old Aug 13th, 2006, 11:15 AM

Not really a wish, but I actually did a strange thing on a vacation some years ago. I took a two-week solo trip to the Canadian Rockies parks in Alberta. I went in late May, since all the books said this would be an ideal time with nice weather but without the tourist throngs of summer.

It didn't work out that way. Spring arrived late that year, so I had elephant-gray sky, rain and drizzle, potentially-spectacular glacial lakes filled with slushy gray snow, towering mountains shrouded in fog, and a generally miserable time. It's the sort of scenario that even the most devoted solo travel enthusiast secretly fears and dreads. Places like that aren't exactly full of indoor activities for solo travelers, although the Canadians I met were invariably friendly.

Anyway, I happened to have brought along a book of Stephen Jay Gould's essays on paleontology. I got to a chapter on the Burgess Shale and its weird fossils from the "Cambrian Explosion" 500 million years ago, and realized that it was in Yoho National Park, not that far from where I was staying. So one cold, soggy morning I decided to visit the Burgess Shale.

I drove through what would have been a spectacularly beautiful place on a sunny day, although in the rain and gloom it was just dull. And there it was-- an utterly nondescript cliff with a sign by it. I took out my umbrella, got out of the car, and walked up to the sign. There I stood in light rain reading a sign describing the Burgess Shale and the weird fossils. Then I drove back.
Old Aug 13th, 2006, 12:47 PM
Original Poster

JB - you have me laughing out loud on that. I can actually envision that scene in my mind.

Although you've already done it, it does fit the parameters of my question, as no travel companion would likely have been willing to go with you to see the cliff on the whim of a book (and non-fiction at that!)
Old Aug 13th, 2006, 04:59 PM

Toed-- Actually, I think that trip would have been better all around with a companion. In situations like that where bad weather makes it impossible to have the trip I planned, it's a lot easier to have a reasonably good time with a friend than just facing it all alone. This was the only trip where I was having enough of an unpleasant time to inquire about going home early. The cost of the airfare would have made that impractical absent a genuine emergency.

I had no idea that the Burgess Shale was actually a nondescript cliff. I thought perhaps there might be some sort of exhibit of the fossils, or something like that.
Old Aug 21st, 2006, 05:50 PM

I went to the Landing Beaches in Normandy a few summers ago. My father was there on June 6, 1944. (Long before I was born.) The dream part was to stand among the 9,387 crosses in the American cemetery, remove my hat, stand at attention and salute.
Old Aug 22nd, 2006, 03:34 PM
Original Poster

JB - I think when a vacation goes "bad" we all would prefer a companion. It's just easier to be alone when you're happy, but when you're depressed or disillusioned, you really need someone to share it with.

CubFan - what a nice story! Isn't it interesting how that one place sort of brings it all home...
Old Aug 22nd, 2006, 05:19 PM

Thanks, Toedtoes! So, are going to complete your dream? There is something so amazing about standing somewhere (The Coliseum, Normandy, King John's tomb) and saying &quot;It happened <b>here!&quot;</b>
Old Aug 22nd, 2006, 07:48 PM
Original Poster

I will complete my dream, but not for a few years yet. I am working my way through Canada now and have a couple more years there before I move on to other places. England will be the next country - right now 2010 is my goal year.

Last year, I visited several places in Ontario Canada that were important in the career of my favorite musician (Cris Cuddy). It is an amazing feeling - even if it's not &quot;historical&quot; for anyone but one or two people.
Old Aug 27th, 2006, 03:09 PM

haha I stumbled on this thread thinking it was very different. well heres my answer to what I THOUGHT it was about: I wish I had peanut butter. Brazil has peanuts, but peanut butter is imported and costs $10 a jar. Every day I've been here (over three months) I've wanted peanut butter. Something I don't eat at home. Go figure!
To answer the actual question: I want to drive across West Texas to the Grand Canyon. The drive is part of the fun- it's so barren and empty. Most people call that a good excuse for a nap!
Old Aug 27th, 2006, 04:43 PM
Original Poster

Leexjd - sorry to have &quot;tricked&quot; you into reading this thread.

I can imagine that asking friends &quot;do you want to drive from West Texas to the Grand Canyon?&quot; could get a few prime responses.

Have you considered making your own peanut butter? I've heard it's fairly easy - but you need to refrigerate it so it doesn't separate. Is $10 for a small jar or a large jar? I just paid about $4 for a small jar here in California.
Old Sep 3rd, 2006, 11:21 AM

Cubfan, I've always wanted to do that, too. What a great debt we owe them.

I think that's one of the reasons I'm so hooked on London. All over are the blue &amp; white plaques that puts you right there in history.
Old Oct 22nd, 2006, 07:56 PM

I'm biting a few months late, but here goes. I've had a few strange travel wishes I've made come true:

I've touched, cold bronze snout to warm human nose, Il Porcelino in Florence. Did this under the cover of darkness.

Driven to Death Valley alone. Not my wisest decision, but I needed some alone time, and it freaked everyone out.

Played a long game of interactive shooting games in formal wear. Mainly, because I could.

Don't have any strange travel wish right now. And now that I'm reading my list, they're pretty normal (except for the first one). But since I dream of traveling, I'm sure the spirit will move me (in)appropriately.
Old Oct 23rd, 2006, 10:21 AM
Original Poster

I think the nose touching is sweet...

OK, and a bit weird.

My current travel wish is to go to the CN Tower and stand on the glass floor. It's an emotional thing as I am terribly afraid of heights. I am telling everyone with the disclaimer &quot;I can't promise I'm doing it, but I'm going to try&quot;. I pretend practice at my desk, reaching the foot out to where I imagine the floor is in my cubbie.
Old Oct 28th, 2006, 05:24 AM

I don't know how &quot;strange&quot; this is but my travel &quot;dream&quot; is to go to Papua New Guinea and the Brazilian Rainforest. I have a fascination with indigenous cultures and would love to go see the people of these regions.
Old Nov 6th, 2006, 04:27 PM

Skinny dip. With dolphins would be really cool but unlikely. So anywhere warm.

Old Nov 6th, 2006, 07:48 PM
Original Poster

Atravelynn - be careful with that wish. It's been said that dolphins can get rather amorous with people...
Old Nov 7th, 2006, 07:09 PM

I have swam with spotted dolphins twice, wearing a bathing suit and an extra T-shirt for sun protection and no problem.
But thanks for the warning! Yikes!

Hope you can commune with King John someday.
Old Nov 7th, 2006, 08:03 PM

Blame my mom for this one...a new strange travel wish.

Go to Antarctica, sit down, and hang out with penguins.

My mom is trying to get to Antarctica sometime this winter (for us, summer for them) and mentioned how it would be a great trip for me since I love penguins.

But mom...I love giraffes too! And I miss Il Porcellino...
Old Nov 8th, 2006, 01:08 PM

Toedtoes,
I just realized you also helped me out with my smileys. You are just full of helpful advice.
&gt;&lt;

mcnyc,
You can have your giraffes and your penguins (though not simultaneously) if you convince your mom to sit with the Jackass Penguins in Cape Town, South Africa. The giraffes are not far away.

Old Nov 11th, 2006, 08:15 PM

This really not a wish, but I lived on a boat for a short while in the Galapogos Islands. Got to see the most northerly peguins are, animals which had no fear of humans and the oldest tortoise on earth! It was a fabulous trip. Almost made it up to the level of my trip to India and Nepal. (I work for an airline so travel as much as I can....to everywhere!)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -