Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Travel Topics > Travel Tips & Trip Ideas
Reload this Page >

Solo student to Italy in May--Tips and Suggestions???

Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 30th, 2007, 08:39 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi everyone. I am currently studying/working in Paris and would like to bum around a little more before I leave to go back home. I know I really really want to go to Italy after school gets out, but I have no clue where to start (esp. since I can't buy train tickets yet!). The only thing I really want to see is the Cinqueterre; other than that, I'm really open. Does anyone have any tips/advice for a young student going to Italy?
Also, I have an April vacation where I'd like to go somewhere: everyone raves about Brugges. What do you guys think? Could I combine with other cities? Is it odd if you don't speak Flemish? (I do speak French.)
Budget would be, er, low, but I don't really like hostels. Did it in London--OK, but I prefer a hotel.
Also, is Rome as teeming with pickpockets as many people say?
OK, I'll stop now!
Old Jan 1st, 2008, 12:31 PM
Original Poster

Just hoping someone will p/u on this ...
Old Jan 1st, 2008, 12:36 PM
Original Poster

Oop, I just realized I never said how much time I had. Actually, for Italy it's quite open. I'm saving euros now for this trip! I'm thinking that the # of things I want to see will determine how long I take.

List of possibilities:
Cinqueterre
Venice
Florence
Rome
Naples

Old Jan 1st, 2008, 02:34 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
If I were still a student (long time ago, lol) I'd be more inclined to go to Amsterdam than Bruges, although Bruges would be cheaper.

Yes, pickpockets are active in Rome. Wear a money belt.

Have you read a guidebook on Italy? Maybe Lonely Planet or Lets Go? Venice is lovely, but VERY expensive.
Old Jan 12th, 2008, 09:13 PM

Hi Sheepie, although this is a great Board it does not get a lot of activity. You might want to post on the Europe Board also. Do give as much info as possible and may I suggest that you say what you can budget for lodging as everyone has a different idea when it comes to a low budget. I think you will find you will receive a lot of responses if you post on the Europe Board.
Old Jan 19th, 2008, 10:14 PM

Out of your list of places in Italy, I've only been to Florence - but I think that Florence would be a lot of fun, whether you're traveling solo or with someone else. It's a great city for walking and most of the attractions are not very far apart.

The one drawback is that it will be crowded in May. I was in Florence in May 2006 and to beat the crowds, I would get up early and practically had the attractions all to myself. Then I napped during the middle part of the day when everything was crowded.
Old Jan 20th, 2008, 09:21 AM

You should be able to do all of those if you have a couple of weeks. You can just buy your train tickets as you go along. You'll surely be connecting with other students as you go, and won't be alone for long.

A word to the wise, travel smart. You've been studying and working in Paris so it's likely that you have already learned this.

The book I used for my first trip to Italy was Rick Steeves Italy through the Back Door. He's got excellent budget tips for each of those places. Look at Hotel Marin in Venice for affordable rooms.