Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Travel Topics > Travel Tips & Trip Ideas
Reload this Page >

Should I rent a MC for Rome to Florence side trip?? Please advise.

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 2nd, 2005, 02:39 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Message: Any thoughts on renting a motorcycle -Rome to Florence and back? Never having been, I picture a great ride in the country/last week in April.
Do I really need an international license or will my US one be OK? I plan on a train to Venice.
How can I get tickets for an audience with the Pope?
Can someone offer names of 50 Euro (or so) rooms, convents, or B&B close to the Vatican, town of Florence and Venice?
It appears lots of women are going solo, I'm hoping I won't feel out of place. Thank you.

Old Apr 9th, 2005, 04:55 AM

I would suggest that you post this on the Europe board,you'll get some responses there.It sounds like a fun trip!
Old Apr 9th, 2005, 04:32 PM

I just read an article in the May issue of Bon Appetite about renting Vespas etc in Florence and in Rome. See if you can get the magazine, might be helpful.
An audience with the Pope?
And I agree with messagediva, try posting this on the Europe forums..good luck!
Old Apr 9th, 2005, 04:33 PM

I cannot understand why first time posters on this forum, always have their names Un-registered after posting here.
This forum will hardly be a success if people who use a screen name for one question..why bother answering?
Old Apr 10th, 2005, 03:50 AM
Original Poster

Thank you Massagediva and Scarlett. I will post the same message at Europe site. I appreciate your responses. Linda
Old Apr 11th, 2005, 12:57 PM

Scarlett - How do you check who is registered?
Old Apr 11th, 2005, 02:12 PM

If you click on a posters name, a list will come up on the left, showing you every single thread they have ever posted on.
I cannot imagine how many thousand posts there are of mine
If someone un-registers , their name will not come up, Fodors will tell you to look somewhere else.
This usually always means that a poster registers under one name, posts, un-registers then posts under another name ( if they are using one computer, Fodors knows this by their ISP #).
I am not saying that makthpn did this. Only that this forum (Solo Traveler) has many of these postings ( leading me and some others to think that someone wants to keep threads going by using multiple screen names)
It is really not important unless you want to have confidence in the poster giving good/valid advice..
Scarlett
Old Apr 11th, 2005, 03:33 PM

However, Scarlett is only partially right. If you click on a posters name <i>most</i> of the posts that person has made will show up. For some reason threads on this solo traveler board do not show up. I emailed Fodors editors about this a week or so ago, but they haven't responded.

Click on makthpn. The post she made on Europe will show up and this one won't.
Old Apr 11th, 2005, 05:30 PM

Better example:
Go to <b>Solo Traveler Needs Help</b> and click on Sara's *the OP* name..she has not posted anywhere - she is not registered anymore.
Click on makthpn and you see she has posted somewhere else, recently.
There are a lot of these postings on this particular forum, but it is not unusual, people do it all the time, for various reasons.
I am just noticing that there are quite few here, and if they are valid, why do they ask a question and never return?
A quirk of mine I guess, I think when someone posts a question, and people go to the trouble of answering, it is nice for them to come back and acknowledge it ~
Old Apr 11th, 2005, 05:58 PM

Scarlett, Click on your name. Your posts on this thread don't show up.
Old Apr 11th, 2005, 07:43 PM

But my other posts do show up. Because I am still registered.
If I were un-registered, you would get that notice to look elsewhere, or whatever it says.
As long as a poster is registered, their name comes up when clicked on. Not according to where they post but because they are registered.
Old Apr 11th, 2005, 10:04 PM

Scarlett - Thanks for the information. That is how I usually check other posts by the same person. The posts in solo travel do not show up for anyone. However, it does not change the fact that these folks have only posted once in the solo travel board and they are nowhere to be found.

Frankly, I have been suspicious too for a while that some folks might be faking it but I kept quiet since I have no hard proof. This board’s atmosphere does not seem as genuine as other boards. I have also sensed some marketing going on in this board which I have not seen in other boards at all. I am not surprised that some of the solo travelers in the other boards do not bother to post here.
Old Apr 12th, 2005, 07:34 AM

I love the &quot;atmosphere&quot; on this Board if you mean Fodors Travel Talk! I just have no patience for sneaky people who post on certain Forums , like Solo Traveler, in a dishonest way.
I really don't see why Fodors needs a Forum just for people who are traveling solo..It separates us and a lot of good questions and information are not easily shared. You will notice that makthpn got more answers once she posted on the Europe forums.
It is supposed to be about Travel, not how many are traveling!
But of course, that is just MHO
Old Apr 12th, 2005, 07:57 AM

I am referring to the Fodor's travel talk as a forum and the solo travel as a board. I am not sure what the correct way is to refer to them.

To be specific, I like the &quot;atmosphere&quot; of all Fodor's travel talk and I enjoy it except solo travel. I think the atmosphere of solo travel talk is not as genuine as others.

I also think solo travel talk is not suitable for planning a trip. One can get a lot more information from other boards.
Old Apr 12th, 2005, 01:47 PM

lol, I have it the other way around..but I do know what you mean and agree.
There is a new thread, click on the name. If they un-registered their name, should we bother to spend time answering?
See ya over at Europe forums
Old Apr 13th, 2005, 05:56 PM
Original Poster

I have received a few responses on the Europe site and apologize if as a firstime participant I did not do things according to protocol Any more help on place to stay would help.
Old Apr 13th, 2005, 06:23 PM

Linda, You did just fine. It's someone else who's confused. Don't worry about it. Glad you're getting good tips.
Old Apr 13th, 2005, 06:31 PM

By the way, for Florence, check out www.hotelmedici.it/inglese/default.asp
Old Apr 13th, 2005, 10:17 PM

Makthpn – The latest discussion was a general one about solo travel board and not about you. I am not sure what prompted you to apologize. Please look at how the discussion re-started and continued.

I am relatively new to Fodor’s travel talk site myself. This is a travel talk site for free discussion and we need to stay within the protocol Fodor’s has published. You do not need to apologize to anyone. Actually, I think no one needs to apologize to anyone for politely expressing their views.

Anyway, I do not want to be involved in this discussion anymore since it is developing to personal attacks and misunderstandings. I don’t care for that.

Old Apr 14th, 2005, 07:04 AM

I agree, I don't know what the apology is for but you didn't need to apologise. I don't see anyone being confused either.
The European board has so many more people posting and reading it, that you will no doubt get tons of great advice, as you already are.
Good luck on your trip!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -