Sharing Hotel Room with Friends' Children

Apr 29th, 2019, 11:17 AM
Original Poster

Sharing Hotel Room with Friends' Children

If my friend asks me if her two teenage children can share a room with me on a joint vacation, and she is sharing a room with her husband, should she contribute money to the room? If so, how much?
Apr 29th, 2019, 12:16 PM

Well, if there will be three people in your room each person should pay 1/3 meaning you’d be responsible for 1/3 and your friend would pay 2/3’s for her teenage children. A teenage takes up as much room and uses as much of the room’s amenities as an adult.

The alternative is you get a single room for yourself and your friend gets a double room for her teenagers or she lets them sleep in her room with her husband.

I don’t know how old you are but as an adult I wouldn’t want to share a room with two teenagers unless there was absolutely no other alternative.
Apr 30th, 2019, 12:26 AM
kja

Your call -- this is your vacation and these are your friends! But do consider what RoamsAround said -- and also, BEFORE you agree:
  • Confirm that your lodging allows three people in the room;
  • Reach a clear and explicit agreement about payments with your adult companions;
  • Reach a clear and explicit agreement about the "rules" for those teenagers, including not only the parents' understanding of the rules, but also the teenagers' understanding. Examples: what if they try to leave after they are supposed to be in for the night? what if they don't come back before they are supposed to? are they allowed to drink or smoke or access any and all websites? ...
  • Make sure you know what YOU are to do if they don't comply with said rules.
  • Make sure you are comfortable doing whatever you are supposed to do if they don't comply.
  • Consider how you will feel, and how you will feel about your friends, if you are not happy with how things turn out. I've known people whose friendships have been deepened and enriched by experiences of the sort you are contemplating; I've also known of long-term friendships that have ended as a result.
Good luck!
Apr 30th, 2019, 02:15 AM

Personally, rather than go through a litany of rules, possible unpleasant situations, and money issues, I'd just say no, I want my own room.
Apr 30th, 2019, 04:52 AM

I'm with StCirq.....I would just want my own room. No way would I share it with two teenagers.
Apr 30th, 2019, 05:28 AM

Since the parents are using you as an unpaid babysitter, they should pay 100%.

But, I, too, am with StCirq: No way in h*** would I do this.

Some relevant questions: How old are these "teenagers"? A big difference between 13 and 19. How long have you known them? How obedient and well-behaved are they? How are you going to negotiate things like "lights out" and noise levels?

IF the hotel has triples it probably has a quad as well. The teens should sleep with their parents, or the parents should split up into two doubles - one parent, one kid. But I don't see why the kids can't have their own double.

Have you traveled with these friends before? Travel is hard on relationships, you may be better off going solo.
Apr 30th, 2019, 11:42 AM

Well in your shoes, I would just say no. Why in the world would you want to share a room on your vacation with not-even-your-own two teenagers?

If you need to do this to be able to afford the room and/or you actually want to do this... then each of the 3 of you pay 1/3 assuming this is a legitimate "triple" and there are 3 twin beds in the room. Or someone's sharing a bed?
May 1st, 2019, 10:29 PM

My best guess—really, my only guess—is that you’re either trying to score a free/cheap room or your friend’s been bemoaning the fact that the hotel won’t let the kids stay alone in a room, and they’re too cheap to rent a suite.

Either way, I think you may need to rethink going on this trip. I don’t mind sharing with people—I stay in hostels all the time— but I can’t imagine agreeing to share a room with teens, not even if they were my nieces and nephews—when their parents aren’t willing to share their own room with them. Because forget the idea of negotiating rules. You don’t want to put yourself in the position of being “in charge” of those kids. That’s not a vacation for you.

alternatively, suggest renting a house together. It’d make more sense, possibly, then the hotel in this case.
May 2nd, 2019, 03:46 PM

Why don’t they share the room with their kids? Or get two rooms. They should pay no less than 2/3 of the room. I’d get my own room.
May 5th, 2019, 07:02 PM

Do you have a teen with you who is a friend of these teens? Are you their Godmother or so close that you are like their adopted aunt or something like that? Unless I offered to pay for the entire room, I would never have asked even someone that close to my kids to have them in the room. that is actually a responsibility.
May 5th, 2019, 08:44 PM

Originally Posted by Sassafrass View Post
Do you have a teen with you who is a friend of these teens? Are you their Godmother or so close that you are like their adopted aunt or something like that? Unless I offered to pay for the entire room, I would never have asked even someone that close to my kids to have them in the room. that is actually a responsibility.

I'm pretty sure the OP ain't coming back . . . Probably one and done
May 6th, 2019, 04:53 AM

I wonder if the OP was even for real. This is their one and only post and no return visit.
May 6th, 2019, 06:04 AM

I also wonder if the poster was real.
May 6th, 2019, 08:45 AM

Too bad. I was really looking forward to hearing how this turned out!
May 11th, 2019, 12:55 PM

Would the hotel not query this arrangement based on child protection issues?
May 12th, 2019, 02:26 PM

Originally Posted by nonconformist2 View Post
Would the hotel not query this arrangement based on child protection issues?
What do you mean?
May 12th, 2019, 05:08 PM

Originally Posted by jmoyogi View Post

What do you mean?

I had the same thought.

If a group with 3 adults and 2 teenagers showed up and asked for 2 rooms the desk clerk would have no idea if the adult staying with the teens was their parent or the adult friend. Quite frankly, I doubt the desk clerk would even question the adults or, for that matter, even care.
May 12th, 2019, 05:23 PM

Easier question ever. No way,
May 14th, 2019, 10:35 AM

Originally Posted by jmoyogi View Post

What do you mean?
That the hotel might have concerns about a child sharing a room with an unrelated adult.
May 14th, 2019, 11:25 AM

Originally Posted by nonconformist2 View Post
That the hotel might have concerns about a child sharing a room with an unrelated adult.
They won’t know and if they did they would not care.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy -

FODOR'S VIDEO