Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Travel Topics > Travel Tips & Trip Ideas
Reload this Page >

Romantic, private, non touristy destination sought!

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 10th, 2007, 07:52 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi There,

My long-term boyfriend and I are looking for a great vacation spot to travel to this April or May. For us, a great spot would include privacy, easy access to a beach (beach front would be ideal), opportunities for plenty of rest and relaxation, with some options for 2-3 excursions or daytrips. We'd like to spend at least 7 days traveling. While luxury is always nice, we would be more thrilled with something off the beaten path - a non touristy vibe is more important to us than having fresh towels and a mint on our pillow every single day!! We have a deep respect for other cultures and although we primarily want to spend time with just the two of us, when we interact with others, it would be nice if they were local folks or vacationers of a similar mindset. That being said, we are cost conscious as we are saving for our engagement and wedding in the not-so-distant future, so are willing to make some concessions as the most private locations do seem to be more expensive. We are open to the idea of an all-inclusive vacation because of the money issue, but are wary of the touristy-ness of many of the package deals that are so numerous online - it's a bit overwhelming!! I have read the boards and have read some great reviews about some of the larger resorts in terms of what we are looking for, but I do get nervous when I see how large they are. We do love children, but would prefer a place that caters more to couples (as opposed to the many resorts that offer 'kids stay free' and 'family friendly' etc.) We've been looking into the less touristy areas of Mexico and Costa Rica. We are not particularly drawn to the very big resort-type destinations. We'd actually love to do an eco-tourism type trip, but the ones I have researched seem so darn expensive. The reserach has been a bit overwhelming since there are so many Mexico and Costa Rica sites online. We are travelling from Atlanta, Ga and would prefer to not spend more than $3,000 for the entire trip, including airfare, etc. If anyone has any advice, it would be so very appreciated!! Thank you! ~Dawn
Old Apr 4th, 2007, 04:17 PM

The ecotourist's heaven has got to be Dominica. St Lucia also has a lot to offer - TiKaye Village sounds like it might suit your requirements.
Old Apr 7th, 2007, 05:31 PM

Costa Rica sounds like a good place for you. just stay in the smaller hotels/bungalows (you know, don't stay at the big resorts on the coast), and you'll avoid the 'touristy' aspect. you'll be able to do tours, etc, in groups or just the two of you - your call, really. CR is GREAT. check out the fodors forum on CR - lots of help there.
Old May 30th, 2007, 02:01 AM
VAZ

Hi.
All i can tell u is this:
a) Stay away from Egypt
b) Stay away from Albufeira in Portugal
c) Stay away from Spain - All of Spain
d) Have u considered Greece? The cyclades.. the entire island is off the beaten path.
Old Jan 7th, 2008, 10:41 AM

vieques, its a small island off puerto rico that is very quiet and there are wild horses!. we stayed at the inn on the blue horizon... very romantic.