Search

Where to go???? Costa Rico or Puerto Rico

Search this Thread

Old Feb 22nd, 2004, 02:37 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Where to go???? Costa Rico or Puerto Rico

Hi,

We are planning a trip for one week at the end of July, beginning of August. We are trying to decide between Costa Rica or Puerto Rico. We are looking for luxury accomodations(5 diamond type), beautiful beaches w/blue water, nightlife, and historical/cultural sites. Whew, I know that's a lot but we want this trip to be a good one since it will be a while before we travel again. We have twins who will be entering Columbia in September and will have 4 years of tuition times 2.

Thanks so much for any adivce you can offer.

Paris
Old Feb 23rd, 2004, 09:20 PM
koa

I am a big CR fan, but judging from what your looking for PR is probably more what youre looking for. CR is the best for eco tourism types.
Old Feb 24th, 2004, 04:53 AM

Paris,

I have been to Puerto Rico three times and am leaving for Costa Rica in two weeks. I don't have any first hand CR experience yet, but have researched it extensively. I have not found any of the Puerto Rico hotels I've visited to live up to five diamond standards. I've stayed at the Ritz Carlton and the Wyndham El Conquistador. The Ritz was nice, but very generic. The beach location wasn't at all nice. The El Conquistador was a real disappointment. The grounds were not well kept and some of the accomodations we saw were really terrible. The out island the property owns was very nice, though. We did stay at a great hotel in San Juan called El Convento for one night. Really beautiful place, but downtown.

By comparison, it seems you can stay at some luxury properties in Costa Rica for a relatively good price. We're staying at the Four Seaons CR which is brand new. All the reviews have been good so far. It sounds like you'd be going in the rainy season but the Four Seasons is located in Guanacaste, which is the driest region. From all I've read and seen, another great CR property is Florblanca. It was completely booked for the times we were traveling, so not an option. From all I've read from the woderful people on this site, CR sounds like a once in a lifetime vacation experience. Also seems like a place your twins would enjoy - volcanoes, beaches, surfing, rainforest, etc. Good luck.

Old Feb 24th, 2004, 04:21 PM

I have been to Puerto Rico (would never go back) at the El Dorado and also to Costa Rica at Makanda in Manuel Antonio, Bosque del Cabo in the Osa and FlorBlanca. Definitely go to Costa Rica. The smaller, more personal luxury hotels, make Costa Rica a 5 star experience! There are many more of these luxury hotels that I did not get a chance to visit this trip. We have traveled all to many countries, but my husband said that this vacation that I arranged was the best trip he had ever been on.

If you wish any further info please email me.
Old Mar 2nd, 2004, 07:23 AM
Original Poster

Thank you for your replies. We have decided on CR! Irjones, thanks for your detailed information, it was very helpful as were all of the responses. Happy travels!