Rick Steeves Irreverant History

Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 18th, 2015, 01:59 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

For anyone interested in the inside machinations of the travel industry, this is a long video (1.5 hours) but very informative, and actually funny (imo) in a few spots.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IVftcdR53Y0

My favorite line from the show is, "I single-handedly ruined the Cinque Terre".
Old Dec 18th, 2015, 05:24 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Also several other places, lol.
Old Dec 18th, 2015, 06:18 AM
Original Poster

He doesn't deny it.

BTW one of these days I'll remember it's Steves and not Steeves.
Old Dec 18th, 2015, 06:20 AM

His "back doors" have long ceased to be back doors, if they ever were (well-known to Europeans, I suspect). But I suppose we should be glad he hasn't updated the list. That said, I do take a look at his guidebooks, and I have been on a few of his tours.
Old Dec 18th, 2015, 12:24 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
I don't think I'll watch the link. He has ruined a lot of places -- I don't think its funny myself.

True story: Many years ago in one of his first books about the UK he recommended a B&B on Hadrian's Wall. I had stayed there once before the Steves army ruined things. Understand -- this was a 2 bedroom B&B (3 actually but 2 of the rooms could only be booked together like for a faimly w/ kids - so really just a 2 unit B&B). It was on a working farm and you could walk out the back door and be ON the Wall in about 90 seconds. LOVED the place. Well -- dear old RS decided it would be a fine idea to publish this tiny B&B in his book. And all Hell broke out. The B&B was just a side business to help w/ the farm income . . . but the phone started ringing (this was in the early 90's and they didn't have a website) and it didn't stop. some days there would be 100+ phone calls. Went on for weeks. They simply couldn't cope. So they had no choice but to close the B&B and change phone numbers.
Old Dec 18th, 2015, 02:34 PM
Original Poster

> I don't think I'll watch the link. He has ruined a lot of places -- I don't think its funny myself.

janisj, that's pretty ridiculous imo. Steves' programs and books are no different than Globe Trekker, Hawaii Revealed and 10,000 others. In this age of TV and internet there are no secrets. Tips and advice from any source are instantly disseminated to the entire world, within seconds.

Steves has had more impact on travel destinations simply because his books and shows were more popular. But think about it: it would be impossible for any travel program or book to give any recommendations or secrets to just you, and not eight billion other people.
Old Dec 18th, 2015, 02:45 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
My point was -- Why on earth promote such a TINY business in a book published in the many thousands of copies. Makes no sense and seems really bad judgement IMO - just sayin'

I've met the man (twice) and I don't like him all that much. So no, I don't want to watch 90 minutes of him.
Old Dec 18th, 2015, 03:38 PM

"many thousands of copies" but "one of his first books about the UK"

Probably wasn't many thousands of copies then. I remember staying in a B&B in the Lake District that he recommended way back when that I wouldn't have found on my own. True, it had maybe six bedrooms, not two, but they seemed happy for the business.

If you do watch the video you'll that he started out super small, and probably had no idea the operation would get so big.