Problems with global entry processing

Old Jan 10th, 2020, 10:46 AM
Original Poster

Problems with global entry processing

I applied for global entry back in July. I applied for my daughter on the same day. She has already received her card. Mine is still saying waiting for conditional approval.

Is this normal or should I assume there is a problem with my application?

And who in the world do you contact to find out? I called our local office who were less than helpful.
Old Jan 10th, 2020, 02:48 PM

Wish I could help you but I have heard that wait times are long lately.
We got ours in very quick order. That was two years ago and we interviewed at the TSA office at ORD.
Now things are different.
Have you tried calling back and speaking to a supervisor and/or inquiring via email?
Good luck.
Larry
Old Jan 10th, 2020, 06:29 PM

I applied for my renewal two months ago - still pending review. Due to staffing shortages at TSA (political budget fights) and an increase in renewals, they are taking a long time to process these. My existing global entry expires in March, but they have a grace period due to the delays and have even extended that to a year. But if you haven't already been approved before, I think you are out of luck, sadly.

Of course, TSA processed my renewal fee immediately. ;-)

https://www.usatoday.com/story/trave...ck/2094610001/
Old Jan 15th, 2020, 06:52 AM

A friend we saw yesterday said she applied for GE in March, just has her interview two days ago.
Old Jan 17th, 2020, 01:54 PM

About six months after I applied for GE, I got a notice that I had been approved with my GE number. No interview required. Has that happened to anyone else?
Old Jan 18th, 2020, 01:50 AM

Originally Posted by artsnletters View Post
About six months after I applied for GE, I got a notice that I had been approved with my GE number. No interview required. Has that happened to anyone else?
Not at all. Everyone I know who got the GE cards had to get an interview and get fingerprinted.
Old Jan 18th, 2020, 09:54 AM

I've not heard of anyone else getting GE without at least a cursory interview. By any chance, did you already have Sentri or Nexus?
Old Jan 18th, 2020, 01:30 PM

I guess I'm special. I don't have Sentri or Nexus. Maybe because I had to be fingerprinted for my current job (in government), so my fingerprints are on file? But that was 9 years ago.
Old Jan 19th, 2020, 07:09 AM
dcd

We applied for the first time last May, finally got the conditional approval in November, and just had the "interview" this week (at an out of town airport where the waiting time was much less than my hometown of St Louis). Waaaaaay too long to wait.

How did your daughter get a GE w/o an interview?!
Old Jan 19th, 2020, 11:56 AM

It was me myself who got GE without an interview. I didn't do anything special. I just applied online in the usual way and was awaiting the notice to schedule an interview, when I got an email saying I'd been approved, and the card showed up soon thereafter. I'm not a frequent flyer (once or at most twice a year). I did sometimes get TSA Pre-check before I got GE, just at random times, including both domestic and international flights. My fingerprints are on file with the authorities from getting fingerprinted for my job 9 years ago; perhaps that had something to do with it? Or there's some whitelist that I'm on for some reason? Mysterious.
Old Jan 20th, 2020, 07:42 AM

I'm curious, if you didn't interview but got an approval and the card, does the card have your picture? When I interviewed a few years ago, they took my picture for my card. I assumed it was like my driver's license and why at least you have to be seen to get your picture. Things could be different now so I'm not sure.
Old Jan 20th, 2020, 08:01 AM

Originally Posted by sassy27 View Post
I'm curious, if you didn't interview but got an approval and the card, does the card have your picture? When I interviewed a few years ago, they took my picture for my card. I assumed it was like my driver's license and why at least you have to be seen to get your picture. Things could be different now so I'm not sure.
^^^ Ditto. How did they have your photo?
Old Jan 20th, 2020, 10:47 AM

It's my passport photo.
Old Jan 20th, 2020, 10:48 AM

I also had a brand new passport (renewal), and perhaps that mattered too.
Old Jan 20th, 2020, 11:03 AM

Originally Posted by artsnletters View Post
It's my passport photo.
How odd - maybe things have changed but my first GE enrollment was not long after renewing my passport and I still had to have a new photo taken. (My GE renewal took less than 2 weeks . . . )