Search

places to stop and stretch.

Search this Thread

Old Nov 19th, 2013, 01:26 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
places to stop and stretch.

Hello,
I'll be moving from Trenton, NJ, to Houston, Texas next month. I know I am not a fan of driving for long periods of times. Since driving alone I plan on making it a roadtrip for 1. I plan on visiting a battlefield in Virginia, as well as New Orleans. Being that this is a 26+ hour drive. I am assuming 3 days minimum and do not mind spending a 4th on the road. Question is; any other places anybody can recommend to stop, visit, and stretch my legs? Any help or ideas is appreciated.
Thank you,
Luis
Old Nov 19th, 2013, 06:38 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Welcome to Fodors. You will get more replies if you post this on the United States board.
Old Nov 19th, 2013, 11:31 PM

I can only offer suggestions for Day One.

The New Market Battlefield in New Market, VA is 4-1/2 hours from Trenton. the Battle of New Market is interesting in that it was a battle where VMI cadets fought the Union. The battlefield itself is not very large but one thing they have done with it is place markers where each unit stood. The museum there is worth visiting.

After visiting New Market, it is about 90 minutes to Lexington, VA and I suggest stopping here or Roanoke(about 2-1/2 hours from New Market) for the night. If you stop in Lexington for the night, the best hamburger I have had in my life can be found at The Southern Inn (37 S. Main St.) and their desserts are amazing as well.

If you stop in Roanoke, Shakers is a good place to eat for a "Southern" feel.
Old Nov 19th, 2013, 11:34 PM

Forgot to say that Lexington, VA is home to Washington & Lee University and Virginia Military Institute.

At Washington & Lee, you can see Robert E. Lee's grave.

VMI has a museum which includes an extensive section on Stonewall Jackson. They even have his horse, Little Sorrel mounted and on display. nearby is the George C. Marshall Library and is a also great little museum.
Old Nov 22nd, 2013, 03:13 PM

Received 17 Likes on 4 Posts
Next stop after Virginia is Chickamauga battlefield near Chattanooga TN.
Old Nov 26th, 2013, 05:05 AM

The new market Battlefield in new market is very interesting, There are more next places you can stay,Lexington is good one.You can try Roanoke as well