Search

Packing Lists

Search this Thread

Old Feb 19th, 2023, 06:09 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Packing Lists

I found a >25 year old packing list while getting ready for our recent trip to India. I created a "master list" when my kids were young to help me remember what we might need on family trips after I once forgot to pack my own underwear and socks for a trip to Disneyland (I had packed plenty for the kids!) It was fun to read through the list and see things no longer needed: maps, diapers, toys to play with in the car, pool toys, etc.

I revised the list adding items including cell phone chargers, our Kindles, more medications, and a walking stick.

It feels like it was just yesterday when I started that first list - how the time has flown by!
Old Feb 19th, 2023, 06:28 PM

My husband and I went on a ski trip with a bunch of friends and realized three hours into the drive that we left our bag of ski gear on the floor of our bedroom.

And two years ago, I forgot to pack underwear on a ski trip to Big Sky…40 some miles to Walmart or Target so….
Old Feb 19th, 2023, 06:31 PM

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
kureiff - do you have smartwool underpants? 😉
Old Feb 19th, 2023, 07:01 PM
Original Poster

I shudder remembering the Micky Mouse red bikini underwear I ended up buying at Disneyland!
Old Feb 19th, 2023, 07:30 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
When my daughter and I drove to Missouri from San Diego, we stopped for the first night in Tucson. That was when I realized I had left all my face stuff, cleanser, moisturizers, foundation, everything, hanging on the bathroom door at home. Urgent call to son who lives near me! He got it, took it to the UPS store and shipped it to his brother's house. Lists are useless if you don't check them! I paid him back for the cost of shipping (approx $50 - had to get there asap) plus ice cream for my granddaughters who "helped"!
Old Feb 19th, 2023, 08:45 PM

KT,
I just this morn got out our packing list, this time for an upcoming trip to Italy.
That list doubles as a To-do-before-Departure list as well. Those tasks sometimes involve others.
We've been helping our neighbours by feeding their fish (summer only) and fetching mail while they are away on travel. Recently they were in Mauritania plus the Canaries.
Today they left for Mexico.

One difference from our ancient lists is that we now instead pack socks which are extra-thick ('just like my husband!'--Mrs Z).

I am done. the list
Old Feb 19th, 2023, 10:24 PM

Received 46 Likes on 17 Posts
Originally Posted by KTtravel

It feels like it was just yesterday when I started that first list - how the time has flown by!
Oh, how sweet!

I send emails to myself and then resend when items have been "packed". I delete the packed items and keep resending until everything is safely packed or accounted for.

I had two trips back to back so the lists were mostly the same but slightly different = NYC and the Holy Land in January.
Added passport to one list and deleted the heavy winter gear.
Old Feb 20th, 2023, 01:40 AM

I've had to do packing for flights to stay in a campground in USVI so food went i to the suitcases, too. Did fine on those trips but when we flew to visit ds and dil I forgot to pack a box of her favorite hot dogs. Almost 20 uears later I'm not sure she has forgiven me. Fortunately her grandmother visited a few months later and took them.
Old Feb 20th, 2023, 05:33 AM

Received 83 Likes on 5 Posts
I'm very much a list maker, although we pretty much pack the same things on every trip, with slight varations for time of year. We also make a list of everything we pack, and then take the list in our carry on bag, just in case our bags don't make it. We pack for a week, regardless of how long the trip.

Many hours into the incredibly long trip from Colorado to the Maldives a few years ago, my spouse realized he'd forgotten to pack his wet suit. He hasn't made that mistake since.

The power of lists. And crossing off the lists!
Old Feb 20th, 2023, 06:15 AM

Received 22 Likes on 4 Posts
We also pack for a week regardless of the trip’s length.
Old Feb 20th, 2023, 11:13 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I rely on my packing list which has evolved considerably over the past few years. I remember when "medications" and the phone charger and an electronic toothbrush weren't involved as well as the password list. And then there are the many things that need to be checked and taken care of prior to departure.
Old Feb 20th, 2023, 11:50 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I just went through my packing list. I no longer take several items on there, but have added others.
Old Feb 20th, 2023, 03:00 PM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
I LOVE lists! but recently because my travel destinations are predictable (Hawaii or Mexico for a few weeks)... I just had my stuff hanging in a separate place in the guest room closet... above the suitcase that needs to get out and get some air!
Old Feb 20th, 2023, 04:42 PM

Received 22 Likes on 4 Posts
I do a quick packing list for each trip.