Non touristy beach vacation for children within easy reach of Portland OR

Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 27th, 2010, 08:57 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Does anyone have any suggestions for a non-touristy each vacation spot that would be suitable for small children (almost 5 and 7 yrs)? We live in Portland OR so ideally it would be something that is fairly easy to fly to from there. I'd like to go around Christmas/New Year/early January. My best beach vacation ever was a thatched-palm roof hut in Sri Lanka that was 15ft from the edge of a pristine natural 'swimming pool' created by a coral reef. It was very local, very friendly and the water was safe. I'd love to be able to create the same kind of experience with my boys this winter but preferably without having to fly for 20 hours. Any suggestions?
Old Oct 28th, 2010, 10:08 AM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Oahu Hawaii
Maui Hawaii
Zijuatenejo Mexico
Puerto Vallarta Mexico
Cabo San Lucas Mexico

Are all easy flights, under 6 hours, available from Portland. None of them are as rustic or remote as what you are describing in Sri Lanka, but I don't think you're going to find that without flying a greater distance.
Old Oct 28th, 2010, 10:14 AM

For less touristy than those I've already mentioned how about somewhere like Akumal or Tulum Mexico? Or Big Island or Kauai for Hawaii?
Old Oct 28th, 2010, 03:38 PM

Pam~~ I see you are new to these forums. So first off...
WELCOME.

Second, hardly anyone reads this "Travel Tips" branch for whatever reason. You might want to repost your question on the specificl desination forums (which are MUCH busier) like Mexico & Central America, US for Hawaii, etc. Just go to the blue letters "change forum" and go from there.
Old Dec 8th, 2010, 12:15 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
West Coast of Mexico makes the most sense. Alaska Air flies that way.

Puerto Vallarta is really nice but we have been put off by restaurant workers (and everyone else) trying to sell us timeshares there.

Ixtapa/Zihuatinejo seems less touristy. It's popular with Mexicans. We visited in early December, just before the Mexican tourist rush and it was ideal. You could probably rent a decent place there close to the beach.

We liked Acupulco too but, again, it's probably more touristy than you want. The cliff divers are a unique attraction.

San Diego has great beaches and isn't too touristy outside of summer. It's not really warm outside of Summer though so I would want to go further South for the nice weather.

Another option is to take a Mexican Riviera cruise out of San Diego. After the recent "Spam Voyage", I'll bet they are practically giving away tickets. Cruises are kind of touristy.