Need ideas

Old Jul 16th, 2013, 02:20 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Need ideas

Thinking of a trip, but can't think where. I love Africa - we've done some Botswana, Zimbabwe, Kenya, and s. Africa.Did Egypt & Galapagos. Briefly saw some of Australia/New Zealand. Out of all Africa the fav. All Excellent.

Love Animals & nature. Probably shooting for next September. Looking for ideas places and tour companies. Other must sees in Africa or other places? Thank you.
Old Jul 16th, 2013, 07:13 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
You'll do better if you re-post on the Africa forum.
Old Jul 17th, 2013, 05:55 AM

Again you suggest another board would be better. Why would the Africa board be better if someone is asking for Trip Ideas covering the entire world?

Solsenz, you need to provide some criteria to narrow down the field. Where will you depart from, what is your budget and for how many people? How much time do you have available? To ask, 'give me ideas of where to travel to in the world' is simply too broad.

For tour companies, how big a group are you comfortable with, what age group? Narrow it down.
Old Jul 17th, 2013, 06:31 AM

Received 79 Likes on 8 Posts
Love Animals & nature. Probably shooting for next September.

Been to Alaska? Denali Park in autumn (around the first week of September) is breathtaking, and still plenty of animals around. Include the Kenai Fjords (marine mammals) and you've got a fantastic travel experience. Top it off with a trip to the arctic (Barrow or Kotzebue) for a chance at seeing the northern lights, but for sure experience the unique cultures of the far north. Alaska in the autumn is magical. http://gardyloo.us/akmirrorlake800.jpg

Or, if back to Africa, have you seen the wildflowers along the Atlantic coast north of Cape Town? http://gardyloo.us/aug24b%20044s.JPG and http://gardyloo.us/aug24b%20066s.JPG Peaking around the first of September.
Old Jul 17th, 2013, 11:14 AM

Received 17 Likes on 1 Post
Africa is my favorite destination but brown bears during the salmon run in Alaska has to be a close second. I've only been in July (twice) but I'm going first week of Aug this year. The first 2 trips were at a remote fishing lodge. We were in the perfect place for photographing the bears fishing/catching salmon. Amazing. This year is roughing it in tents. Crossing my fingers on this one.

Photographing penguins, etc in the Falkland Islands was also a top trip but I don't know the best months to travel there. I know Dec & Jan are good.

And if you need a nudge for Africa, I don't see gorillas on your list (Rwanda). A must do.

Svalbard for polar bears.

I did a trip on this boat http://www.oceanlight2.bc.ca/html/schedule.html and it was a great experience in a beautiful place. I was lucky enough to see a Spirit Bear the first day.

Some photos from these trips www.pbase.com/cjw
Old Jul 17th, 2013, 12:45 PM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
<Why would the Africa board be better if someone is asking for Trip Ideas covering the entire world?>

Because very few people read this "Travel Tips" forum. Africa and all the other specific destination forums have a much larger readership/participation than this one on Fodor's.

That's why.
Old Jul 17th, 2013, 06:24 PM

India, India, India!
Old Jul 17th, 2013, 06:54 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
Actually I'd re-post on the Africa, Asia (which is a VERY active forum) and South America forums.

The experts on those regions don't generally hang around in "Travel Tips"