Search

making coffee in the room

Search this Thread

Old Apr 2nd, 2010, 12:27 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
making coffee in the room

I'm going to Portugal this year. Like most of the rest of Europe, the smaller hotels (generally) don't have coffee makers in the rooms, and I don't really want to spend 15 euros at breakfast each day just to get my coffee. So I've decided to sacrifice some valuable packing space to bring along my own. My initial idea is to bring along a small hot pot (Rival makes one that weighs very little), and a Melitta cone. But I am aware that there are also travel coffee makers, and even little immersion units. I would appreciate some suggestions from those of you who own either of these gadgets, or even if you have a better idea!
Old Apr 2nd, 2010, 01:04 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
If you're staying in a Portuguese hotel you will almost certainly have breakfast, including coffee, included in your room rate. (I can't think of a place in Portugal where it wasn't.)

I have, on occasion, taken along an immersion unit, but none of these gadgets will do you much good without a cup, and instant coffee. I'd rather buy a cup of real coffee in a cafe and watch the passing scene if I didn't like the breakfast brew.
Old Apr 3rd, 2010, 05:27 AM

In many ways I agree with thursdaysd.. get a cup of Joe and people watch. But there have been times when I just wasn't ready to go out yet or breakfast wasn't ready due to time changes i.e. Asia and Austrailia.in those cases I have used an immersion heater, 2 cups and a small coffee filtered type enclosed spoon (hard to describe). Heat water in one cup pour over 2nd as water drips through the spoon contraption. However there is always instant or Folgers singles.
Old Apr 3rd, 2010, 06:55 AM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
I would go with a cup, immersion coil & instant coffee packets (Starbucks or Medaglia D'oro are both pretty good).

To me even a small pot, filters, Melita cone, and regular coffee seems too much suitcase space to be worth it.

Also, can you drink your coffee black? I need milk/cream which adds another kink to the plan.
Old Apr 3rd, 2010, 04:54 PM
Original Poster

Suze,
I know it seems silly, but I was actually contemplating taking a stash of mini-moos. Unfortunately I need milk/half-n-half. I am right now beta testing a Coffee-mate, but it's vile and I don't know if that is a solution I could stand. Similarly those General Foods International coffees have that nasty dried milk/oily creamy flavor, so you can see why I'm seriously considering the mini-moos. It's a lot of trouble for a cuppa, but doing without that early coffee is always the hardest part of my traveling life. Especially European travel, when my brain is still sound asleep when it's time to get up and go.
Old Apr 4th, 2010, 06:44 AM

Hey if you're gonna to do it, you might as well do it right

Have you tried the "Medaglia D'oro" instant? It's an Italian brand & really pretty good. That and either some regular powdered milk or your mini-moos would be OK. I can't stand those mixes.
Old Apr 4th, 2010, 01:09 PM

If you are going for an immersion device do make sure it is suitable for Europe - ie 240 volts.
Bring just ebough for your first morning then buy your coffee and creamer once you get to Portugal. You will probably be able to buy a individual portions of liquid creamer, like you get in cafés from a supermarket.
Old Apr 4th, 2010, 06:38 PM

Yes most immersion coils purchased in the US will not work in Europe. Like curling irons, they are not very sophisticated devices and don't usually come in dual voltages. First look at.a travel store like Magellan to see if they sell something you can use in Europe. Or simply go to a local store in Portugal on day one and buy onenthere.

UHT milk is very common in Europe. You can probably pocket a couple of milks on your flight and then buy more there. There are some very good instant coffees now so that is a better option than growing coffee.
Old Apr 4th, 2010, 07:20 PM

Sorry ... Instant is a better option than brewing. I'd love to see someone grow coffee for a vacation.
Old Apr 5th, 2010, 06:28 AM

If you wait until after arrival and buy what you need, howo about a cheap electric kettle? They work so much better than the immersion coils, and since you wouldn't worried about the packing space, might be worth it. Instant coffee & shelf-stable milk & you're good to go!
Old Apr 6th, 2010, 05:48 AM

went to Senegal with my daughter last year and was will to try and do anything - but needed my coffee and had the same "no milk" issue so I brought along the general foods instant latte type coffee powders. My little tim was a huge hit at our daily breakfast of black coffee, bananas and bread. It's more than milk, but the flavor was very nice and a special treat. Made many friends by sharing.. that and the nutella
Old Apr 7th, 2010, 09:15 AM
Original Poster

I've done a bit more research and found I can buy a 0.5l electric travel kettle, dual voltage, at El Corte Ingles for 19 euros when I get there, and it will already have a euro plug on it. I think this is going to be the winning idea for making hot water (to drip through my cone filter), plus it comes with 2 mugs and 2 spoons that fit inside.
Old Apr 10th, 2010, 06:20 PM

We always take a small travel jug, bought from Aldi some years ago. It switches from 220 to 110 underneath, and is great. Sometimes we boil eggs in it for breakfst too.

For milk, we buy fresh, and use the old Aussie principle of the "Coolgardie Safe" - if no frig or ice is available, drape a wet towel over the container in the coolest spot you can find. Usually keeps several days.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coolgardie_safe
Old Apr 14th, 2010, 04:52 AM

I pack a little french press and my own coffee. Hot water is almost always available but American coffee is rare.
Old Apr 14th, 2010, 10:19 AM
Original Poster

I'm glad I posted. There are some really good ideas here. Thank you all! Now I'm starting to think of all the things I will be able to do with my travel kettle... Along with everything else that I love about travel, gadgets that are small, lightweight and multi-functional tickle me. Too bad there's not more action on the Travel Tips topics. It's a fun place for this newbie.
Old Apr 14th, 2010, 10:53 AM

kilikavc~ I'm curious what you mean by "hot water is almost always available". How do you get it if you don't have a hot pot and the hotel doesn't provide one in the room?

spcfa~ I also have done the boiled egg trick in a small 4-cup electric melita coffee maker.
Old Apr 14th, 2010, 01:35 PM

Taster's Choice has the individual packets of instant coffee that are very convenient. You don't have to take along a jar of instant coffee - with the indivisual packets/tubes you gain space as you use them.

Isn't there a powdered milk in individual packets - Creamer? I don't use it so am not sure about that.

I have the problem that I drink black coffee but not as strong as what they make in Europe so I always have to ask for a pot of hot water when I order coffee in the morning and it helps to make the coffee just right.
Old Apr 14th, 2010, 08:35 PM

I understand that you want your coffee first thing and don't want to go out for it--I get that. I'm the same. If I'm in a room without a little hot plate and fridge I will call room service and spring for whatever it costs 'cause I gotta have that coffee asap.

However, just F.Y.I there's a real coffee culture in Portugal and it's quite good and cheap there and cafés are everywhere. You can order una bica--an espresso shot sometimes with a dollop of milk for less than a dollar. There are a few different coffee and milk drinks--like lattés-- as well but I've forgotten what they call them. They are all good and at the very most the equivalent of $2.00.

Other than that I have a french press pot that I purchased at Target. It's a very thick plastic made by Bodum. I only take that when I'm going to be somewhere where I know the coffee is not very good and I will have a fridge and hot plate. Also, there are some instant coffees at whole foods that are surprisingly good.
Old Apr 15th, 2010, 03:22 AM
Original Poster

Hi JustineA - I will certainly enjoy the coffee culture in Portugal while I'm there, just not in my pajamas!

I saw a french press travel mug at Target the other day, also made by Bodum. That went into my thought process for solving this dilemma. Finally, though, I decided that the kettle and a drip cone would be more versatile, and no cleaning up. And then two people wrote in about boiling eggs in the kettle, which is just brilliant (I love hard-boiled eggs).

With the kettle, I can also do tea, instant noodles and instant oatmeal. I think I will spend the next few trips to the grocery store to see what else can be reconstituted with boiling/hot water. It's a whole new world for my budget travel side.
Old Apr 15th, 2010, 05:04 AM

I have a hot stick which is fine. Works great, fash, no mess and nothing to clean up. Takes less space in the suitcase also.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -