International COVID vaccine certificates

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 19th, 2021, 09:39 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Does anyone know what progress is being made for an internationally recognised COVID vaccine certificate?

There seems to be an intent to distinguish between those who are vaccinated and those who aren't (e.g. for access to planes, trains, bars, restaurants, museums, shops, galleries). But demonstrating vaccination status seems to be fraught. There are hundreds of countries in the world and in some countries such as my own, the plan seems to be to have different systems to show vaccination status in each state/territory within the country. How is the unfortunate service person in any place in the world able to determine vaccination status when there may be hundreds (maybe thousands) of different ways of demonstrating whether a person's COVID vaccination is complete and up to date?

Is the expectation that travellers will need to apply for the correct certificate for every country (or state) that they visit?

The hurdles are so mind boggling that it's easy to imagine that vaccine certificates will not last long before we just ignore who has/hasn't been vaccinated (which will, of course, result in more sick people). Authorities have had nearly two years to get to grips with this, and the fact that - I think - they haven't, points to the challenges involved. Or am I wrong and there is something about to be launched that I haven't heard about? I would love it if there was.
Old Sep 20th, 2021, 05:47 AM

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts
As of October 1st, we need one for Brussels but not Flanders but no one has heard how. So many hurdles. I find TA has some good info on various countries but since the EU has said each country can make the choice it is all over the place and don't expect it to change.
Old Sep 20th, 2021, 10:11 AM

Received 83 Likes on 5 Posts
I haven't heard of any progress on an internationally recognized COVID certificate, but I wish they (whoever they is) would pull their heads out.

We leave for Switzerland in a week and I've been trying to get the Swiss COVID Certificate to no avail. Until Oct 10, we can use our US issued CDC cards to gain entry into restaurants and indoor venues, but as we'll be there through late Oct, not sure what happens then. I shall keep my ear to the ground and hopefully we can get one at some point. Two cantons have returned my messages to them advising they aren't issuing them for tourists...yet.

But if and when we get one, they're also good in the EU and (I believe) also the UK, which is good news indeed.
Old Sep 22nd, 2021, 01:39 PM
Original Poster

Mel, if people from the USA are struggling to get the correct permits for travel, I imagine it will be even more difficult for people from far smaller and less well known places. It would be great if you could let us know how you go, once you return home and have time. I hope you have a wonderful holiday.

The prospect of having to obtain COVID vaccine certificates for, say, Singapore and Dubai (just to get there) and whatever countries we may visit in Europe is daunting.

I hope an organisation like WHO is working on an integrated system. Or, better still, that certificates become unnecessary except perhaps for entry to a country or region.
Old Sep 30th, 2021, 07:58 PM

Hi! We're looking to visit US in the next few months and I heard there have been tighter restrictions in place. Anyone here who can share their experience or some updates? I got the Sinovac vaccine so I'm really quite worried as there have been nothing else in PH aside from the issued vaccination card.
Old Oct 1st, 2021, 05:39 PM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
{We're looking to visit US|

Where in the US? States have different rules, regulations, restrictions, requirements.
Old Oct 1st, 2021, 09:46 PM

Received 83 Likes on 5 Posts
dreamon - we're currently in Switzerland - we obtained our COVID certificates the day we arrived by popping into a pharmacy in the Zurich airport and asking for one. They took our CDC vaccination cards and passports and were able to provide a certificate for 30 francs each.

It's been money well spent as we've needed to show the certificate at least once day since we've been here to eat indoors, etc. I'm told it's also compatible with the EU COVID certificate which we'll need in December when we travel to Italy and Austria. In Austria, the certificate is only good 270 days past your second vaccination - we'll meet the guidelines...just...but we're hoping to get our third jab in November.

Not exactly an international certificate, but a step in the right direction.
Old Oct 2nd, 2021, 01:22 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the update, Mel, really interesting. Trust the Swiss to be well organised. I hope you're having a wonderful time.

There has been recent news here in Australia that, if I've read it correctly, we'll need a different vaccination certificate specifically for travel leaving Australia as well as a certificate for each Australian state we visit. Presumably, we'd also need a certificate/s for local travel within our chosen destination/s. I have yet to hear any news about how certificates in Australia will work for overseas visitors. Leadership from our federal government is largely absent.

The subject of third jabs is a whole different ethical debate on it's own.

Still in tight lockdown here in Melbourne but vaccination rates are rising now that we have some supply and some good on the ground organisation. There are some problems arising from the anti-vax movement (stirred on by mischievous trouble makers), which I find incredibly disappointing. So much for the 'clever country'. I'm really hoping that my son can visit from NSW for Christmas - looking promising.