Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Travel Topics > Travel Tips & Trip Ideas
Reload this Page >

How do you track your travel ideas and goals?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 25th, 2023, 10:21 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey guys - my friends and I have been making plans to visit a few cities in the USA. We've created a handful of whatsapp groups to keep track of restaurants to visit, tourist sites to see, etc, but are looking for a tool to be a bit more organized. I've looked at a few tools like TripAdvisor (not bad, but it's less designed to compile ideas and moreso designed to save and eventually buy tours), Wanderlist (half-assed at best), and TripIt (also not bad, but moreso for creating solid itineraries than any kind of idea storage).

What do you guys use? Are there any niche apps out there that could store location-specific notes on restaurants and sites and tours and hyperlinks and all that fun stuff?
Old Jul 25th, 2023, 10:45 AM

Received 83 Likes on 5 Posts
I'm old school. I keep copious notes on my computer - I make a Word document for each town/village I plan to visit with details on sights, hiking trails, restaurant suggestions, links, etc. I sometimes load my phone with resturants and attractions, separated by city, so I can pull them up and find the maps and hours as needed, etc.

We also make an Excel calendar for our travel dates, then plug in the relevant plane/train/bus info, accommodation details, cancellation dates, etc.

And then - horrors - I print out the consolidated notes and calendar and carry them in a thin plastic file - and dispose of the notes as they're used.

It's not flash, but it's served us well for more years than I care to count.
Old Jul 25th, 2023, 11:14 AM

I have tried more than a few travel apps but have found all sadly lacking. for our travels over many years now I just use spreadsheets, in my case Apple Numbers, but MS Excel does the same thing.

It is way easy to create a template for storing itineraries, ideas, notes hyperlinks to websites, costs etc . save in the cloud and use on any device you want . I much prefer spreadsheets to Pages or Word documents as it is much easier to manipulate and re arrange the data into whatever order or format I want. This method has worked well for all our trips whether they be weekends away or year long RTW trips.
Old Jul 25th, 2023, 04:10 PM

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
I do the same as Melnq8. Always have a few folders going in my Trips File. Ideas by destination in a Word doc, Itinerary on an excel spreadsheet- all printed out & taken with me.

Copy of the Itinerary emailed to those who need to know.

The difference is, I’m not needing to share ideas with other participants in the trip because I travel solo. I guess some form of interactive format might work if you need to keep track of others’ ideas & comments as you’re working on the Itinerary planning.

Last edited by Bokhara2; Jul 25th, 2023 at 04:12 PM.
Old Jul 28th, 2023, 08:36 AM
Original Poster

Makes sense. What about them is lacking? Which ones have you tried?
Old Jul 28th, 2023, 08:38 AM
Original Poster

Originally Posted by crellston
I have tried more than a few travel apps but have found all sadly lacking. for our travels over many years now I just use spreadsheets, in my case Apple Numbers, but MS Excel does the same thing.

It is way easy to create a template for storing itineraries, ideas, notes hyperlinks to websites, costs etc . save in the cloud and use on any device you want . I much prefer spreadsheets to Pages or Word documents as it is much easier to manipulate and re arrange the data into whatever order or format I want. This method has worked well for all our trips whether they be weekends away or year long RTW trips.
Interesting - what about them is lacking? What apps have you tried?
Old Jul 28th, 2023, 01:13 PM

Now this reads like someone trying to design an App.

I have used TripIt to just keep track of my flights, hotels and major sites. Also use Yahoo Calendar.

And like other old-schoolers I make a spreadsheet and if sharing is needed just use Google Sheets?

We use What's App just for chatting as a group.

For restaurant suggestions I am just as likely to use Yelp or ask the hotel receptionist. As often as not if I collect restaurants in advance I wind up not going. If I do have a list of suggestions I can just include them in the spreadsheet.

Last edited by mlgb; Jul 28th, 2023 at 01:17 PM.
Old Jul 30th, 2023, 09:22 PM

Originally Posted by mlgb
Now this reads like someone trying to design an App.

I have used TripIt to just keep track of my flights, hotels and major sites. Also use Yahoo Calendar.

And like other old-schoolers I make a spreadsheet and if sharing is needed just use Google Sheets?

We use What's App just for chatting as a group.

For restaurant suggestions I am just as likely to use Yelp or ask the hotel receptionist. As often as not if I collect restaurants in advance I wind up not going. If I do have a list of suggestions I can just include them in the spreadsheet.
I do also track my travel ideas like that. I also use google sheets for sharing and it works really well. As for the restaurants, I usually just ask locals, because they definitely know where you can eat the best food.
Old Aug 5th, 2023, 10:58 AM

Like so many others here, for a trip consisting of only my husband and me, I create an Excel workbook per trip.

But that's NOT how I begin the planning process. Instead, I start with a calendar that I create (using good "Insert Table") in Word. Then I create a folder on my drive with the general name and year of the trip, with subfolders for each stop along the way, to file away all the website links and pertinent travel ideas for each location.

When I must plan with others, I turn to Google Sheets. If you label the sheets as "Ideas of Things to Do in ___" and "Hotels We Should Consider" etc, it's pretty easy. I used to use TripIt but the various updates started driving me bonkers.

Good Luck.
AZ
Old Aug 5th, 2023, 12:55 PM

Received 22 Likes on 4 Posts
I keep all reservations on TripIt and have used it for many years.
Old Aug 5th, 2023, 02:15 PM

Received 46 Likes on 17 Posts
If it's just me, I just move emails with reservation info into a folder. It's there if I need it, which I rarely do.

If it's a trip with someone else, I make a simple spreadsheet, listing the days on the trip and hotel info, etc by day and general trip info on it too. I don't really move reservation numbers to it but access the emails in my folder if needed.
Old Aug 29th, 2023, 02:46 AM

I keep track of everything using memos and WhatsApp chats only. Pretty old school
Old Aug 31st, 2023, 05:19 PM

Received 22 Likes on 4 Posts
I have used TripIt for many years to organize our travels. When it was offered, I upgraded to TripItPro .
Old Aug 31st, 2023, 11:49 PM

Originally Posted by HappyTrvlr
I have used TripIt for many years to organize our travels. When it was offered, I upgraded to TripItPro .
I just checked out Tripit. It has quite simple and basic ui, liked it.
Old Sep 12th, 2023, 09:31 PM

I keep a travel wishlist where I prioritize destinations based on their feasibility and interest. I also maintain a travel journal to jot down ideas, things to do, sights to see, and experiences I want to have on my trips. Lastly, I collaborate with other travel enthusiasts to receive valuable recommendations and insights on travel destinations.
Old Sep 17th, 2023, 05:23 PM

Originally Posted by markbartel8007
Hey guys - my friends and I have been making plans to visit a few cities in the USA. We've created a handful of whatsapp groups to keep track of restaurants to visit, tourist sites to see, etc, but are looking for a tool to be a bit more organized. I've looked at a few tools like TripAdvisor (not bad, but it's less designed to compile ideas and moreso designed to save and eventually buy tours), Wanderlist (half-assed at best), and TripIt (also not bad, but moreso for creating solid itineraries than any kind of idea storage).

What do you guys use? Are there any niche apps out there that could store location-specific notes on restaurants and sites and tours and hyperlinks and all that fun stuff?
Google Docs has served as my go-to planning tool for the past decade. It works exceedingly well for my needs. While I considered trying Dropbox Paper, many of my traveling companions do not use Dropbox. As collaboration across all participants is essential for trip coordination, I ultimately decided to stick with Google Docs since I know it offers a centralized collaboration space accessible to everyone. Its long proven record of reliable service made Google Docs the logical choice over switching to an alternative that risked potentially leaving some group members out of the loop. For easily shared, real-time coordination of details among all trip planners, returning to our trusted standby of Google Docs remained the most practical option.
Old Oct 17th, 2023, 12:29 AM

Sounds like a fun trip planning challenge! Have you tried Google Keep for organizing ideas and links? 🌎🗺️