Honeymoon - not for the beach lovers

Old May 18th, 2021, 06:11 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My husband and I got married this past August, and we have delayed our honeymoon for our first anniversary! He doesn't love lounging on the beach, but loves adventure and staying active. I could lay on the beach all day but I also love adventure. We are trying to find a place / location that has both a beach if we want but more importantly somewhere that has lots of other things to do and see. Since the all-inclusive beach resort honeymoon idea is out - what are other options of places, locations, resorts, or ideas?
Old May 18th, 2021, 06:20 AM
Original Poster

My husband ad I got married this past August and delayed our honeymoon until our first anniversary. My husband doesn't love to lounge on the beach all day, but loves adventure and keeping active. I could definitely lounge all day on the beach, but I also love keeping and going on adventures. What is a good location / place / resort that has lots of things to do at or outside the resort, could have the beach, and has a sense of luxury as well? All places, locations, resorts, ideas are welcome!
Old May 18th, 2021, 02:27 PM

Your question is just too big for anyone to answer specifically You can find that pretty much anywhere in the world!

Then just structure your time to your differing interests. You don't say your home location so some of these will be closer than others. But you can look at: Hawaii, Caribbean islands (there's 7000 of them -haha), the Baja and both coast of Mexico, all of the islands and coasts of Central and South America, the Mediterranean, Greek islands, French Polynesia, islands of Southeast Asia (25,000 of those!). How about the Seychelles (east Africa)?

I'm a little bit kidding around but you see the point. If you can narrow down the part of the world at least? Maybe investigate where you can get nonstop plane flights of a reasonable distance to, from your home airport? How many days are you planning? A week or two? Or more?? That matters somewhat for how far it makes sense to travel.

feliz luna de miel!

Old May 18th, 2021, 02:33 PM

What countries are you interested in? You can find what you seek in most places.

Just because there is a beautiful beach doesn't mean you have to veg out on it every day

Hawaii would fit this request perfectly and be a super romantic honeymoon... Kauai, Maui, Oahu would all be wonderful.

When is the trip (as far as month of year to think about the weather in various locations)?

How long, how many days total (to think about how far it makes sense to fly)?

And where are you located (if you are east coast USA Greek islands would be closer & Hawaii for west coast USA for instance).

FELIZ LUNA DE MIEL (happy honeymoon)
Old May 18th, 2021, 07:49 PM
Forum Moderator

Welcome to Fodorspaigewilliams6467. We have merged your two threads into one..
Old May 18th, 2021, 08:01 PM

I encourage you to post in the other forums here at Fodor's... like the Caribbean or Mexico and Central America or Europe branches. Hardly anyone reads this "travel tips" forum as you see by the replies you have received.
suze

Old May 19th, 2021, 12:28 PM

Check out Costa Rica. Beaches... rainforests... volcanoes... wildlife... and all of it just a quick flight from the US. Lots of great resorts and/or vacation rentals. For luxury and adventure, check out Tulemar or Nayara Springs.
Old May 19th, 2021, 02:26 PM

Received 8 Likes on 1 Post
Since this is a 1 year anniversary and the got married in August, I'd advise against Costa Rica. Unless you like rain & brutal heat and humidity. Which also probably eliminates nearly any place on the Mexican coasts as well.
Old May 21st, 2021, 11:56 AM

Originally Posted by paigewilliams6467 View Post
My husband and I got married this past August, and we have delayed our honeymoon for our first anniversary! He doesn't love lounging on the beach, but loves adventure and staying active. I could lay on the beach all day but I also love adventure. We are trying to find a place / location that has both a beach if we want but more importantly somewhere that has lots of other things to do and see. Since the all-inclusive beach resort honeymoon idea is out - what are other options of places, locations, resorts, or ideas?
Of course it is an impossibly huge question, but for me the perfect 'adventure near a beach vacation' is Jamaica. Hiking, waterfalls, float trips. We went on a guided hike with the South Trelawny Environmental Agency in' Cockpit Country' a kind of wild unmapped area. The hike had us walking partially in the middle of a river going through a cave. It was spectacular. Also float trips, Reach Falls (stunning hike up a river which combined rock hopping with swimming upstream). Winnifred Beach is a great locals beach and Blue Lagoon is beautiful, We got a taxi to Winnifred Beach and paid someone else to give us a boat ride back Boston Bay is the original home of jerk. Frenchman's Cove is rightfully a great beach with a freshwater river running into it, the best of both worlds.
Old May 21st, 2021, 05:19 PM

Well I'm fond of Negril, for Jamaica. They can stay at Tensing Pen. That's pretty darn honeymoon worthy.
https://www.tensingpen.com/

But August is tough anywhere in this part of the world. You really do need to check the weather (forecast and historical for your dates).

This post reads strangely because it was edited by staff.