Search

Grand tour of Europe help

Search this Thread

Old Apr 21st, 2006, 06:56 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Grand tour of Europe help

We are planning our honeymoon for September 10,2006 and would like to hit a few countries along the way. France, Switzerland and Italy and maybe one more. Does anyone have some advice how to do this all in 2 weeks. Is there a way to do this so it's not so expensive.

Thanks
Old Apr 24th, 2006, 04:34 PM

Rent a car and staying in B&Bs or other small hotels is a great way to see Europe on a budget. Rick Steves is an excellent resource. France is a pretty large country, but you could do a portion of it, such as Provence or Cote d'Azur or Alsace-Lorraine. Italy is also a larger country, but you could visit the northern part along with Switzerland. You might want to consider a Mediterranean cruise or a European river cruise - it is an affordable way to see many of the "must-sees" in Europe on a reasonable budget; your meals and accommodations are included, you can step off the ship and see the sights, etc. Some of the river cruises also include shore excursions and wonderful tour guides in each port. After a cruise, you have get a feel for Europe and give you a starting point for your next trip to Europe.

Best Regards,
Julia
Old Jun 15th, 2006, 12:47 PM

As a newlywed who did all this last September, my advice is to stick to 1 country, maybe 2, and stay in your first destination for up to a week to catch up on your rest. I didn't know it, but I was exhausted after the wedding and all the festivities (5 days straight). We planned a 3-week tour of Spain and Portugal, meaning we'd be on the road every other day. I was wiped by the end and wished we had spent at least 4-5 days in Barcelona (where we landed).

As for doing it inexpensively, look into renting an apartment. It's a bit more than a hotel, but you'll save by being able to eat breakfast and another meal a day there. Switzerland is apparently very expensive, France not so much, and I don't know about Italy.
Old Aug 23rd, 2006, 10:55 PM

Hi.

Be sure to book all of your flights from the states - this is a big $$$ saver. I would get a good travel agent to help. I do think at least 3 days where you start out would be relaxing, then no more than 2 counties I think. I'd opt for Switzerland & Italy-they're my favorite European countries.

The rooms on the river cruise boats are, or used to be, really, really, really tiny. I had to leave the bathroom door open to sit on the toilet. I was alone in a cabin for two. It's been awhile so perhaps that has changed.

Have fun.
Old Oct 16th, 2006, 05:43 PM

Hi.. I've traveled to Europe quite a bit (about every other year since I was 2)... The biggest mistake I see people do is try to see too much in a compressed period of time (ie: 2 weeks). really choose one region and really explore it. the last thing you want to do is spend a lot of time traveling.

Renting a car is great and I love driving over there. I can suggest that you check out easyjet.com (they have a car rental section) or another one I have used a couple times is kemwel.com

going via train is nice as well but you really miss the real culture of the region by missing all the lovely villages and are really locked into the city you stay in... trust me there is so much beauty in the countryside that is breathtaking. but if you go by train, try to do over night sleeper cars that way you dont waste much time traveling. I have done some continental flights as well via easyjet... they were fine... kinda like southwest style but airports can be hassles to get in and out of but for long distances it can be a time saver.

as for possible locations. Most of my experience has been with France (mom is from there). The south is varied and beautiful. You could easily travel the whole Mediterranean coast and even hit Italy if you want as well as Monaco (not really too much to see there actually).

In the fall the wine country is beautiful. I love the romantic feel of the Beaujolais region and tasting wines is so much fun. Be sure to hit Beaune. You could also head east and visit Strasbourg and there is another city close to that the name escapes me but has pretty canals... very romantic. Heidleberg is pretty as well but I prefer the southern Bavarian region. Alternatively you could head north (avoid Lille - not much there) and hit Belgium (hit Bruges) and even head up to the Netherlands.

On the other side... one of the prettiest cities IMO was Prague but I went there in '95 and have been told it is not as old world feelingish as it was... but still nice.. then you have Budapest that is a nice jaunt... Although eastern europe is more developed than back then you might find it easier to get around via train than driving but maybe someone who knows that region better would disagree.

Either way... my best advice is not to do too much at once... you can always head back... and hey, it's your honeymoon - relax and have fun
Old Oct 30th, 2006, 07:28 AM

I agree that if you try to do too much in Europe too fast you really lose out on the best parts....the culture/people etc. Try to pick a couple spots and really explore them - you'll be glad you did. plus, after a wedding, you'll want a little relaxation, not a whirlwind through europe (trust me, just went to greece on my honeymoon last month)