Reload this Page >

French language schools in Aix

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 4th, 2007, 06:37 AM
kdcwood

I have read Kate's post on getting the most from a French language program, and I really appreciate the excellent advice.

I am very seriously considering attending a French immersion program in May/June of this year. I speak some French, but I need and want to make a major leap forward in my abilities. (My husband and I lead small group tours in the Luberon area of Provence, where we lived for six months a few years ago.)

I have spent a lot of time in Europe, but always with my husband. I am about 90% sure that I want to have this experience in Aix-en-Provence. Given our focus on Provence, I would like to base in that general area. I like the idea of being somewhat on my own in a city of this size, and I like Aix a lot. So it's familiar but would push me out of my comfort zone to be there.

My focus would be 100% on learning the language, as much as my brain can deal with it! I don't need or want sightseeing trips... this wouldn't be a combination vacation/language study program.

I'm 51 years old... a part-time college professor/consultant. I like being around young people, but I don't want to be in a group that would otherwise be all college students! I'm thinking that my planned timing (potentially beginning May 21) might help me avoid a time period that would be more focused on college students.

I would plan to stay with a local family, probably to do the half-board arrangement. I have already learned that spending two or three hours over a meal with people who don't speak English is a great way to improve my French speaking and understanding skills!

I looked at the programs that have been mentioned elsewhere in Villefranche and Millefeiulle (also a program based in St. Saturnin), but somehow the idea of doing my program in Aix feels right to me.

Does anyone have any recommendations of French language programs in Aix? I could go for two or three weeks... I would somehow balance the cost (a factor) with the intensity/progess I can make.

Merci!

Kathy

Old Jan 4th, 2007, 11:22 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hi Kathy:

Souffle (one of the quality associations for French language teaching) has a school in Aix, so you might want to check it out at http://www.is-aix.com

In terms of timing for your course, you should find out when the UK half-term holidays are as well as the French statutory holidays. UK half-term holidays are relevant because some senior high school students prepping for A level French exams will enroll in intensive courses in France (or tell their parents that that's the reason for spending time in France). I ended up taking Spanish lessons with 3 A level students in early April a few years ago. I expect that mid-late May won't be a problem, but it's still worth checking. You should also find out when the school is closed for French statutory holidays in May, since many schools do not offer refunds for course days that are cancelled due to holidays. There tend to 3-4 holidays in May in France as well as a holiday in early June: May 1 (labour day), May 8 (independence day), May 17 (Ascension - not everything closes so your school might be open), May 27 (Pentecost - ceased to be a statutory holiday in 2005, so your school might not be closed - but check anyway) and May 28 (Whit Munday - not sure if this is a stat holiday so your school might not be closed). The existence of these holidays also results in lots of vacationers, so airfare and train travel prices increase (a good idea to book your tickets earlier than usual if you would be travelling around these periods).

Except in schools like Millefeuille that focus almost exclusively on professionals, it will be difficult to avoid courses composed primarily of young adults. If your French is good enough (e.g. level B1 or higher according to the Council of Europe standards), you might consider taking a French for business course. I took such a course in Strasbourg and the students generally were older than average (late 20s to late 40s). Even if business French isn't your primary interest, you can still learn a lot from such a programme - and since one of the purposes for your programme is to facilitate the conduct of your tour business, the exposure to French business terms, information about the French economy and similar subjects would no doubt be useful to you.

Otherwise, the more intensive and expensive the course, the better - college students and gap year students who just want to hang out in France will tend to sign up for lighter course loads and cheaper courses. And, in any event, you want to pack as much coursework into your 2-3 week visit as possible. Of course, private lessons would be an option, but as I mentioned in my other post on how to get the most out of a language course, I think that, generally, the fees charged for private lessons at these schools aren't a good value. Small group courses, however, are worth paying more for.

I hope this helps.
Old Jan 6th, 2007, 04:51 PM
kdcwood

Hi Kate,

Thanks for all that great information... I really appreciate it.

Actually, the school I'm looking at most seriously is the IS school in Aix-- the one you mentioned. I'm looking at doing a three week course, which would involve 30 lessons a week, with smaller groups in the two afternoon lessons. I would also do the homestay with breakfast and dinner.

Your insights about the students I might encounter was interesting. I talked to an American-based company last week (A2Z Languages) who is an agent for IS in this country, and they said there tends to be an older mix of students in Aix, and the IS website lists a variety of companies that send people there. I have contacted a couple of people for info on their experience at the school, so we'll see. Your suggestion about taking a business-oriented course is interesting... I teach part-time in the College of Business at the university here and have the possibility even to do some business-related consulting in France, so that could be very relevant.

The IS School's website says that if there is a holiday during your program, the lessons will be made up during the week in the afternoon, so you don't lose lessons. There would be one holiday in the time period I'm considering.

Again, thanks so very very much for all the info you've posted here on Fodors!

Kathy

Old Jan 21st, 2007, 04:28 PM

The program I recommend isn't in Aix, but, if you would consider another town in the south of France, I highly recommend Institut de Francais a Villefranche-Sur-Mer. I guarantee you won't regret it. Eight and a half hours of immersion per day, wonderful blend of international, adult students and an outstanding teaching staff. Check out their website at www.institutdefrancais.com.
Old May 13th, 2007, 11:48 AM

I know of an 'immersion school' just outside Avignon which is very good.
www.ceran.com.
Old Jul 19th, 2007, 06:09 PM

motomoll: could you elaborate on your impressions of ceran?
merci bien!
letour
Old Aug 24th, 2007, 02:19 PM

I recently returned home after two months in France, including three weeks at the IS language school in Aix-en-Provence. Overall it was a very good experience, and I'm already planning to go back next summer.

I posted to my blog during the time I was in the school. If anyone is considering this school or would like to know more about a language school experience, you might be interested: http://www.slowtrav.com/blog/wood/archives/001646.html

Kathy