First time Mardi Gras 09 Tips

Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 3rd, 2008, 08:34 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

A friend and I are coming to NO for the first time for Mardi Gras in 09 arriving on a Monday and leaving on Thursday. Where is the best reasonable place to stay that is close to the parade route. Any other tips will be appreciated.
Old Dec 3rd, 2008, 10:19 AM
Original Poster

ttt
Old Dec 3rd, 2008, 10:00 PM

Mardi Gras in New Orleans was just way too wild for my taste and I'm in my 20's. The nudity, random people groping you, people smoking pot around you, we even saw several people urinating on side alleys. I live in Mobile (home of Mardi Gras) and it is a lot more laid back. The only suggestion I have for you is be aware of your surroundings at all times. Never let your guard down.
Old Dec 3rd, 2008, 10:06 PM

I will suggest the Astor Crowne Plaza. It was absolutely beautiful, great service and great prices. It's on the corner of Canal Street and Bourbon Street. It may be too late for you to book a hotel close to the action in New Orleans though for Mardi Gras 2009. Most rooms are booked a year in advance. Maybe you will get lucky this year with the way the economy is....there might not be as many people traveling from out of town.
Old Dec 4th, 2008, 03:42 PM

I have very fond memories of New Orleans. I can't remember the name of the hotel at the moment but stop by Ralph and Kacoo's for the best food- crayfish and oh!-don't miss the Cesar salad. It is calling me back. A hurricane at Pat O'Briens is a must as well. What a fabulous place. I didn't go during Mardi Gras but it is important to be careful at night. So limit the hurricane drinks!!
Old Dec 27th, 2008, 12:10 PM

Received 42 Likes on 2 Posts
I've been to NO for Mardi Gras twice. What I learned, was to bring shoes I didn't mind ruining and throwing away at the end. If it's still the same as 9 years ago, the streets were so dirty, you could be walking in trash as high as your low ankles. Granted, they hosed down the streets in the morning but by night time, they were dirty again.