Search

Favorite Credit card

Search this Thread

Old Sep 2nd, 2021, 08:02 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Favorite Credit card

Hello!
I was trying to research online about the best credit cards for travelers. Things to consider are: extra protection or insurance with rental cars and great reward points for airfare and hotels. I know it’s personal on what you may like or want in a credit card and most of these specialized cards have higher fees. For instance, American Express has the platinum card with annual if of $750+! I’m sure that card isn’t for me bc I’m not an avid world traveler. What is a good card for someone just starting out with a travel ( rewards) credit card and someone who wants to start living a life with a lot more recreation and travel?
Old Sep 3rd, 2021, 03:59 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I used to have two cards with my basic requirements for travel: First no "foreign transaction fee," a 3% ripoff found with most cards. Second: No annual fee (does not include cards with no first year fee). Third: Cash back.

Last year, while no one was traveling, one of the cards snuck in the foreign transaction fee. So I am left with just one, the Capital One Quicksilver card.
Old Sep 3rd, 2021, 05:58 AM

Favorite Credit Card

My favorite credit card is Venture One credit card from Capitol One. It has no foreign transaction fees and zero annual fee. You earn 1.25 miles for every $1 spent and it's easy to use the rewards. I like the emails that it sends to notify you of credits from businesses or when they see unusual purchases. I'm starting to use the Capitol Savings when I do on-line shopping and they can show you if there is a discount code to use towards your purchase or receive up to 10% credit from purchases for certain businesses. I have not had any problems when we have travel to Europe or United States. Here is the link to review
https://capital.one/3jglfgN
Old Sep 3rd, 2021, 07:22 AM

I use my local credit union's credit card. There is a 1% conversion fee, which means that I just come out even when it comes to foreign travel; I get 1% money back on my transactions. Its ATM card also charges a 1% conversion fee, but otherwise I get the average daily rate unless the foreign bank charges a fee, as is the case in Spain. Part of my choice is based on the fact that I choose to support a local business over a big national bank, and their phone service is excellent. My back-up card was Chase, which charged no conversion fee, but I used it so little that they cancelled my account.

Our credit union account is kept to a minimum. We add travel money just before departure time, so that we can withdraw money from ATM's and in our absence have the credit union automatically withdraw the total amount owed on the credit card bill.

Last edited by Michael; Sep 3rd, 2021 at 07:27 AM.
Old Sep 3rd, 2021, 07:43 AM

I like the Capital One Quicksilver also (1.5 % cash back and no foreign transaction fee). I especially like their customer service.

For car rentals I use an American Express card which allows me to purchase their premium car rental insurance ( flat rate for the entire rental period for theft and damage). I think most of their cards allow you sign up for that, event the no annual fee ones.

When I travel I always bring a second credit card, in case the first one doesn't work. Often that is the credit union Visa card which has no annual fee but isn't my card of choice.

I have one debit card for ATM use but honestly since you can pay for nearly everything with a credit card these days, rarely use it. I will reduce the amount in the account that it's linked to before travel, but be aware of the risks of debit card use on your card. Some banks cover you if you report it lost or stolen within two days ($50 liability). I no longer use the debit card for purchases (the one time I used it at a local grocery store, to get some cash back, it was hacked). I reported it right away and had no liability.

Last edited by mlgb; Sep 3rd, 2021 at 07:53 AM.
Old Sep 3rd, 2021, 09:50 AM
Original Poster

Well thanks everyone! I learned a lot. I didn’t even remember about the fact that there are foreign transaction fees and that’s a big deal! I’m looking at The Chase Sapphire Card bc i already have a chase card with great rating so I could easily and quickly get this new card. It says if I spend $4,000 in next 3 months on travel, I get 100,000 pts. Problem is, I already paid most of my upcoming VRBO fees upfront so I can’t charge more in lodging. And, I sure hope I don’t spend $4,000 more during my upcoming vacation to South Carolina but it could happen since rental cars are outrageous and dining out is also. The chase visa has a $95 fee - maybe I’ll just try this for a year and I’ll see how it goes.
Thanks again for all of you and your advice.
Old Sep 5th, 2021, 10:56 AM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
The only time I've paid an annual fee was for Hawaiian Air just because I liked their credit card (the physical graphics) so much. Hardly a good reason.

Yes the foreign transaction fee is a huge deal, but depending how much you travel and how you use it. I'm a cash (mostly) only person when I travel so not the big deal it would be to most.

I have just one credit card from my bank that I've had forever. My use is so small and the card is decent so I haven't shopped it out yet myself.
Old Sep 5th, 2021, 04:29 PM

To the OP, there is not any reason to pony up $95 for a credit card.

This the one that two of us like, no annual fee and $200 back if you spend $500 in 3 months (for new cardholders). You can apply online and find out right away if you qualify. So far I have found their customer service the best of any credit card company.

Unless you fly one airline exclusively, or fly a lot for business and can use your personal card for miles accumulation, I don't really like the air miles cards much anymore, especially since I usually fly carryon only. I kept two airline cards which I converted to their no annual fee version (after the free first year trial). I still have a big bucket of Delta miles and use them as much as possible, but sometimes there is another flight which works out better (or includes a free checked bag).

https://www.capitalone.com/credit-cards/quicksilver/

Last edited by mlgb; Sep 5th, 2021 at 04:32 PM.
Old Sep 6th, 2021, 10:44 AM
Original Poster

I will def check out this Capital One Quicksilver card since the reviews are so positive. Good question about why I would want to pay a fee to have a credit card. Since I would probably get the 100,000 points after 3 months, I will for sure get my money back plus get more cash back or freebies bc Later on in the year I’m going on a River cruise and boy oh boy, is that expensive and I’ll use the card for that. No matter what, I’m going to write down all the pros/cons for each card! I’m not even against trying the Capital One one for a year then the Chase.
Old Sep 8th, 2021, 09:43 AM

Credit card for Travel

I have found Capital One to have the WORSE customer service of any credit card I have used..But yes, no transaction fees.
Old Sep 8th, 2021, 01:03 PM

I have only needed customer service once on my CapOne card, but it was timely and effective.
They made an unpleasant incident (fraud) much more tolerable.

My reasons for using this card, like others have said, are no foreign transaction fees and ca$h back.
I gave us chasing air miles long ago.
Old Sep 9th, 2021, 05:24 AM

Originally Posted by 29FEB
I have only needed customer service once on my CapOne card, but it was timely and effective.
They made an unpleasant incident (fraud) much more tolerable.

My reasons for using this card, like others have said, are no foreign transaction fees and ca$h back.
I gave us chasing air miles long ago.
29FEB: Lucky you..I had an entirely different experience.
Old Sep 9th, 2021, 05:13 PM

Received 8 Likes on 1 Post
I quit using my Cap One business card because they make me confirm everything with a text. Which I can't receive on my US Magic Jack number. And they won't text to a Mexican cell. So pure Chase United for me. One card charges foreign fees, the other does not.
Old Dec 28th, 2021, 03:07 PM

Originally Posted by AJPeabody
I used to have two cards with my basic requirements for travel: First no "foreign transaction fee," a 3% ripoff found with most cards. Second: No annual fee (does not include cards with no first year fee). Third: Cash back.

Last year, while no one was traveling, one of the cards snuck in the foreign transaction fee. So I am left with just one, the Capital One Quicksilver card.
Sounds like good criteria. I'm curious how you found out the one card added a foreign transaction fee. Did they actually notify you of this?
Old Dec 28th, 2021, 03:36 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by Grotter
Sounds like good criteria. I'm curious how you found out the one card added a foreign transaction fee. Did they actually notify you of this?
In the terms and conditions -- every credit card has to spell it all out.
Old Dec 28th, 2021, 07:22 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Grotter

Yes, in small buried print.
Old Dec 28th, 2021, 09:52 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by AJPeabody
Yes, in small buried print.
That's for sure. If I hadn't sat down one morning and read the boiler plate text on my statement I would have never thought my Nordstroms platinum visa has no currency exchange fees. Who'd a thunk it?? So it is now my primary card when traveling out of the country . . . no conversion charges AND earning Nordstrom notes
Old Dec 29th, 2021, 08:41 AM

baldone, I have a frequent gas station "declined" problem with my Synchrony Mastercard (2% cash back) when traveling a 100+ miles from home (eg San Diego).

The CapOne Quicksilver (1.5%) seems to work better at US gas statons when traveling. Both Mastercard. Sometimes I still have to go inside and sign, though.

I have fraud alerts coming to my email now. Not sure if that will help.

Old Dec 29th, 2021, 07:22 PM

Received 8 Likes on 1 Post
Mlgb, it's not the fraud alerts, but rather when I tried to pay my bill or check my balance/purchases, etc, through their mobile app, they insist on making me confirm with a 6 digit code sent via text, which I can't receive with my Magic Jack voip number. It was a semi-recent (upgrade? Lol) within the last year or so. I can access my account on my laptop and then they give me the choice of a text or a phone call. The phone call works, but I don't often have my laptop at the ready. My Chase app works fine, however in Mexico. So as soon as I migrate all my automated billing to Chase, and use whatever Cap One points I have left, I'll cancel it. Once, as a dummy, I asked if I could be exempted from the text confirmation thing. Haha.
Old Dec 30th, 2021, 09:28 AM

I don't think I've seen that but can't remember what card I used in Mexico in 2020. I had a Google Fi SIM there so would have been able to access texts. My issue here in the US is that I forget that some gas stations will always refuse the Synchrony card. I will try the card a second time and then it gets locked when I try to check in at a hotel!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -