Expedia?

Old Apr 22nd, 2008, 05:37 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Expedia?

Has anyone purchased a trip through expedia, and how do they operate- do they send information to you via snail mail, or just make all your reservations for you and you just show up to the hotel/airport?
Old Apr 23rd, 2008, 06:51 AM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
I use Expedia to research, but then I go directly to the airline or hotels own website to make my reservations.

Hopefully someone else will chime in to better answer your question.

Old Apr 23rd, 2008, 08:05 AM
Original Poster

i tend to do the same thing, but i was just wondering about expedia (ie what happens when you book, etc)
Old Apr 23rd, 2008, 10:05 AM

Unless it's a paper ticket, everything is e-ticketed and sent to you by email. Same with Orbitz, Travelocity, etc. You then print out your e-ticket and itinerary, and bring it with you to the airport/hotel or whatever you've gotten.
Old Apr 23rd, 2008, 10:06 AM

Oh, and if it does need to be a paper ticket (like my trip to Scotland through Orbitz was), they mail it to you, usually overnighted and requiring a signature on receipt. The reason my tickets were paper was because it was one itinerary with two different airlines, one of which was not an american airline (BA).
Old May 8th, 2008, 10:44 AM

I'm going to Chicago with my Dad's girlfriend at the end of August, we booked the trip through Expedia. We searched other sites (Cheap Tickets, Hotels.com, Priceline, etc.) She was hesitant at first, especially about using her CC online to purchase anything. We got our flight and a 4* Boutique Hotel for 386.51pp, so we couldn't beat it. In order to ease her mind, once everything was booked though them I logged onto American Airlines website and verified our tickets through their site (I believe you can do that by using the itinerary number provided by expedia). I was also able to pick out our seats and printed a barcoded itinerary which will allow us to collect our boarding passes quicker. I gave it a few days with the Hotel because they are super busy at the moment, but I was able to verify that as well by booking a Chicago greeter (a free service) they call your hotel and verify that you are registered in order to book your tour with the guide. So far so good. Also, the trip online started out with two different Airlines for the flights in or out, the reason we paid more was to fly with the same airline. I think there are great deals to be had either way, but I was quoted by a travel agent for the same trip I booked through Expedia and it was going to be $600 plus per person.
Old May 17th, 2008, 08:41 PM

I just booked a trip for a friend and showed him the difference between booking through one of the big sites (like mine) and booking directly with the hotel.

DoubleTree Orlando, right across the street from Universal. For the week he is going $139 a night. On my website (A large national company) $109 a night.

The larger online companies like Expedia, Priceline, Orbitz and mine can offer better rates on most hotels due to their volume.

Now you might be able to call the Hotels and get the rate you get from one of the big online guys. But it is not likely.

Plus the Big online companies most of their hotels rooms are non-refundable. So you get a great rate, but do canclations.
Old May 18th, 2008, 09:55 AM

I booked through Expedia once and they sent me the paper tickets by mail. Everything else was confirmed online and via email.
Old May 18th, 2008, 01:57 PM

I have booked via Expedia several times and never had a problem.

They are not able to book electronic airline tickets (just paper tickets by snail mail), however everything else works by email.

However, do not be surprised to get the worst rooms in hotels booked via Expedia. Remember: you get what you pay - there is no free meal.
Old May 24th, 2008, 03:50 AM

I only booked a trip once through expedia - several years ago, and it was the only time I've actually seen cheaper prices that booking flights and hotel individually. But it was a pretty good experience. I had a problem with the hotel, and was able to call them, and they helped me get it straightened out.
Old May 31st, 2008, 01:40 AM

A letter writer in today's Sydney Morning Herald travel section mentions that she has found that Expedia's US site consistently gives more options and cheaper fares than its UK and Australian sites, even for the same flights.