Search

Essentials

Search this Thread

Old Sep 7th, 2010, 05:29 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Essentials

In an effort to help newies and keep this branch active.

What are three things you never travel without or never leave the Hotel/Lodging without?

Ignore the obvious of spouse, money, passport, tickets and luggage.
Old Sep 7th, 2010, 08:04 PM

Paper and a pen. I keep a journal. When I leave the hotel I always carry a small notebook in case someone doesn't understand what I'm saying (this came in handy in Paris because my French is terrible) but I can spell a few words in French. Very helpful with numbers.
Old Sep 7th, 2010, 10:43 PM

1. camera + extra batteries (because it eats batteries)
2. paper and a pen
3. the key (or keycard or whatever) to the hotelroom
Old Sep 8th, 2010, 06:49 AM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
never leave home without:
small flashlight, earplugs, corkscrew/penknife

never leave hotel room without:
business card showing hotel address to find way back!
streetmap, pen, small notebook, camera
Old Sep 8th, 2010, 09:14 AM

Excellent idea about the business card suze.

I'll never forget the time my friend and I couldn't find our hotel room, no problem she thought she had a key. She found out how awkward just having a key was when she approached an older couple to ask in broken Spanish how to find the hotel. The woman was very pointedly pulling her husband away from my friend.
We laughed about what a middle aged temptrest she was the whole vacation.
Old Sep 8th, 2010, 09:36 AM

opps I didn't finish the thought... hotel's business card AND cash enough for taxi fare!!
Old Sep 8th, 2010, 11:52 AM

Never leave home without (items that have not been mentioned)

- spare pair of eyeglasses (even if an old prescription, they can save the day for a while, should current pair get broken and require an optician's visit, which may take some time to arrange),
- prescription medications.

And second the following suggestions:

- earplugs (for me, absolutely always, wherever and whenever I travel!!),
- small led flashlight (it can light the way to the 'john' at night, help to read a clock or watch during the night, and can be so helpful finding things that have fallen, or been misplaced, and even when reading menus in poorly-lighted restaurants, and etc.),
- notebook & pen (more for me, I love to keep notes on what, where, and when, etc.!!).
Old Sep 8th, 2010, 05:25 PM
Original Poster

Great.Keep them coming people.
Old Sep 9th, 2010, 06:46 AM

*absolutely* about the 2nd pair of glasses (or contacts). i can't believe some of my friends travel with only one pair, and they have REALLY bad eyes. at least I could see without my glasses, just couldn't read! i usually take 2 pair, plus prescription sunglasses.

I keep a 'kit' ready-to-go in my suitcase. In a mesh zippered cosmetic case I have: a few safety pins, bandaids, packets of neosporin, packets of Woolite, a small tube of Advil, a couple tabs of Imodium, extra watch, extra pen, and already mentioned corkscrew, small knife, notepad, earplugs, extra glasses. Maybe you do, maybe you don't need these things, but it doesn't take up much room/weight and IF you do, boy these come in handy.
Old Sep 9th, 2010, 10:21 AM

duct tape and hand wipes
Old Sep 9th, 2010, 10:38 AM

I have an internet email account (yahoo), to which I send various documents/links before each trip:

1) color photo of my passport photo page
2) detailed itinerary with addresses/phone/fax of where I'm staying
3) list of names/addresses of people I might want to send a postcard, along with their phone numbers (just in case anything happens to my PDA)
4) an email with a link to my company's web access so that I can get documents and/or work email, along with direct dials for certain people at work (who remembers that stuff?), if necessary when I'm away for a long trip
5) scan of travel insurance documents (if I took it for that trip) and contact information
6) list of credit card company international phone numbers in case I have problems while I'm away
7) phone number and address of US embassy +/ consulate for the country/countries I'm visiting

I also set up, in advance, an "address group" before leaving so that if I'm at an internet cafe, everyone gets the update. Heaven forbid you forget someone and they find out later that they were the only one you forgot!
Old Sep 9th, 2010, 10:54 AM

spcfa ..... great suggestion!! Can't believe I forgot to mention all that personal info stuff!! I take it in paper form though, and absolutely would not leave home without it. My lists contain all the "personal info stuff" needed should we get into any kind of medical situation, financial, and/or whatever situation. It really helped us out once during an out of the country stay, and I've never forgotten that!!

I also send trip itineraries to immediate family members that we wish to have know where we are, and how we can be contacted.
Old Sep 9th, 2010, 02:36 PM

My little travel alarm clock....I hate hotel wake-up calls.
Old Sep 9th, 2010, 03:03 PM
Original Poster

Thanks again. More please.
Old Sep 9th, 2010, 03:42 PM

If it's the kind of trip where I'm staying in one place the entire time & I have a small frig, I take a few kitchen items so I can make food & drinks easier. I pack one plastic dinner plate, some plastic silverware, one small sharp knife, little salt & pepper packets, a few napkins, stainless steel water bottle.
Old Sep 13th, 2010, 11:22 PM

I use Splenda and I can never find it in German restaurants so I carry the convenient tablet dispenser with me.

A small digital voice recorder. Sometimes I'm too lazy in the evening to type or write that day's travel log so I record a few sentences explaining what we did.

A small spray bottle of Febreeze to freshen up clothes or musty hotel rooms.
Old Sep 15th, 2010, 02:23 PM

If I'm changing climates, I always pack an outfit in my carry-on, in case the checked suitcase is delayed. So for a beach/hot weather destination that would include: flip flops, bathing suit, shorts, tank top.

For a long haul flight like going to Europe, I pack 1/2 outfit in my carry-on to freshen up at the airport upon arrival. For that: fresh top, fresh socks and undies. Really makes a difference especially coming off a red-eye.
Old Sep 15th, 2010, 04:56 PM
Original Poster

Thanks folks. Keep them coming.
Old Sep 15th, 2010, 08:56 PM

My MIL always carries spare underwear in her hand luggage just in case the bags are lost. If they get lost for a long time the airlines often hand out a free t-shirt and some toiletries (Lufthansa used to do this, anyway) but you are stuck with yucky underwear for the next few days until your bags get delivered.

Lavandula
Old Sep 16th, 2010, 07:05 PM

I always have tue following;

1.Panadol (you can never read what your taking in a foreign country)

2. Hand sanatizer (to kill all those germs from the hand rails etc)

3. A book (you never know when you will be stuck in a airport, train station or tourist attraction line)

Im loving this forum. Great ideas people!!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -