Desperately need luggage advice!!

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 30th, 2013, 08:30 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

In August we are travelling to Europe from Australia for the first time. We will be in Europe & UK for 11 weeks and will be travelling on lots of planes, trains and automobiles. I really need to know how large my check in suitcase can be without me getting penalised money-wise or it not being allowed on the transport. I just want to know what the maximum size dimensions are for check in luggage with Singapore Air, Vueling Air and if there are any that apply to trains in Europe! I don't want to have to pay huge excess baggage fees or have my luggage not allowed on the plane/train! I can't seem to get a definite answer from websites and need to know before we leave. Please help if you can!!
Old Jun 30th, 2013, 09:05 PM

Received 26 Likes on 4 Posts
There may be few, if any, size restrictions on checked luggage or bags on trains. But checked luggage has weight limits, how much depends on the airline and these can be found on the airline websites.

More to the point, why not plan to take a minimum amount of stuff with you rather than worrying about the maximum limit. As little as possible is always the best policy.
Old Jun 30th, 2013, 09:11 PM

I should add that it's possible, if you pack wisely and are prepared to rinse things out regularly, to get by with very little, these things being relative. At times I travel 4-6 months at a time with a smaller than maximum sized carry-on weighing about 13 kg. And I still sometimes don't wear everything I have. Start with a list and start subtracting. If you run short you can always pick up items along the way. It's more fun that way anyway.
Old Jun 30th, 2013, 09:25 PM

As MP states, be prepared. You can usually find small packets of Woolite, or something similar to take with you.

As for trains, you will have to haul your suitcase(s) up the steps and put them in an overhead rack. I've learned the hard way that the smaller and lighter, the better.

Depending on how many "we" is, you had better get autos that will fit your luggage out of sight. There are tourist thieves everywhere, even in Australia.

Make sure you have enough money in your bank to take care of the occasional ATM (cash machine) withdrawels.

This is just a start for all the things you should learn before your trip.
Old Jul 1st, 2013, 05:52 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'm another fan of packing light. I, too, travel months at a time with a carry-on size bag - although I check that one and carry on a bag that fits under the seat in front of me with electronics, pharma and a change of underwear.

For my packing list see: http://mytimetotravel.wordpress.com/...take-part-one/ and two following posts.
Old Jul 1st, 2013, 07:25 AM

Singapore Airlines:
http://www.singaporeair.com/jsp/cms/...-allowance.jsp

Vueling Airlines:
http://www.vueling.com/en/vueling-se...r-trip/luggage

Absolutely stay under 20kg and you still have to be able to lift it up and down stairs quickly so you may want to limit yourself to closer to 15kg.

A small roller bag (20-22", standard carryon) and a backpack/messenger/small duffle bag make a good combination. The duffle can go at your feet on flights or you can check the roller bag. You can put most of your stuff in the roller and the stuff you need to keep with you in the duffle bag. Stack them when you're walking a distance if you want. It's often much easier to handle two small bags (only one with wheels) than it is to handle a single larger bag.

Even if you're gone for 11 weeks you probably only need about 4-7 days worth of clothes. Simply wash out your inners as you go and wash the outers as needed. Lightweight fabrics dry quickly and most clothes don't need to be washed after every wearing. When I travel somewhere hot I often rinse the waistband of my pants (aka trousers) at night as that's the part up against my skin that gets sweaty. The legs don't really get dirty so no need to wash and wait for those to dry.
Old Jul 1st, 2013, 08:47 AM

Some interesting responses if not all relevant.

First, it is not clear if your intent is to travel with carry-on ONLY Pidge. You write, "I really need to know how large my check in suitcase can be", that does not indicate whether you also intend to check in a bag/suitcase or not.

Carry-on varies by airline. So while it is possible to find an answer for a specific airline, to know you will meet the requirement of any airline you might choose to use now or on another trip, you have go go by the lowest denominator.

There are 3 factors you have to consider with carry-on. Weight, size and contents. There is no point in meeting one or two and not the third. The commonest weight allowance is 7kg. The lowest is 5kg. Size also varies by airline with a total for L+W+H of 45 in. being the most common probably. Contents again varies by airline and by country you are boarding in. For example, a regular size bottle of shampoo is quite likely to not meet carry-on restrictions on liquids.

Read here:
http://www.farecompare.com/about/wor...age-fee-chart/
And here:
http://www.aircanada.com/en/travelin....html#-liquids
For examples.

So there is no one size fits all answer. It varies by airline and by country of embarkation.

MmePerdu, your 13kg. will not pass most airlines carry-on weight restrictions. Size is therefore irrelevant.

Rasta and thursday ignored the question and changed the topic. Iowa seems to have thought checked bag limits was the question.

Pesonally, I think carry-on is going the way of the Dodo if for no other reason than the contents restrictions that are starting to make it almost impossible to go carry-on only.

But even beyond that, how many travellers can limit themselves to 5 or even 7kg.? I happen to be a very light traveller who can meet the weight limit of most airlines. My total carried dry weight (what you are wearing is not counted and dry weight means no food or water included. So 'dry weight' is what you step on to the plane carrying.) of 5.06kg. That is for 3 season travel for any length of time.

But the reality is that even though I can meet weight and size restrictions pretty much every single time, contents is always going to mean I have to check my bag. Within those 5 kg. there is always going to be a swiss army knife for example. I never leave home without it. It will never meet carry-on restrictions for contents.
Old Jul 1st, 2013, 09:36 AM

"MmePerdu, your 13kg. will not pass most airlines carry-on weight restrictions. Size is therefore irrelevant." Improvisor

My point was the size of the bag, not to carry on or not. I check the bag.

I think it's pretty clear Pidge plans to check the bag, "my check in suitcase" would seem to indicate that. No need to assume we don't know what we're talking about. One-upmanship is tiresome.
Old Jul 1st, 2013, 10:14 AM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
>>Some interesting responses if not all relevant.<<

improviser: is there a reason you have to denigrate others. You jumped into Fodors with both barrels blasting. Many of your posts follow the same pattern, snide and long. Which is why some assume you are a certain 'old' member who was banned.

Pidge51: because of all your modes of transport you need to pack a compact as possible. Not necessarily carry on only, but maybe a 24" checked bag and a carry on of some sort. The eleven weeks may seem daunting - but don't think of 11 weeks. Think of packing for 5 days, or 7 days, 10 days max. Re-cycle outfits, do laundry now and then, pack mix/match layers, wash undies in the bathroom basin. No matter how much you take even in the largest/heaviest suitcase imaginable you'd still have to do some laundry.along the way.

You will be MUCH happier if you aren't burdened by tons of stuff.
Old Jul 1st, 2013, 10:15 AM

That should say >>as compact as possible<<
Old Jul 1st, 2013, 10:20 AM

Drat - meant to add . . . I use a single carry on sized roll aboard whether for 3 days, 3 weeks, or 3 months. I so me times do check it (rarely though) . But even when I do check my bag I don't take a larger one.
Old Jul 1st, 2013, 10:59 AM

As janisj says, more weeks almost never means more stuff. Doing laundry at a laundromat in various countries is an event for me. When I know I'll need to do more than hand washing soon I keep an eye out for a coin laundry as I go along. One of the nicest couple of hours in Dijon was spent at a laundry right around the corner from the main market. People chat in laundries and tourists aren't excluded from the fun. And someone always helps with the "how to" part. I've never had a bad experience doing my laundry in Europe, quite the contrary.
Old Jul 1st, 2013, 12:59 PM

<<<Iowa seems to have thought checked bag limits was the question.>>>

Well, yes:
<<<I really need to know how large my check in suitcase can be without me getting penalised money-wise or it not being allowed on the transport.>>>

I've never heard of someone worrying about if the size of their carryon would prevent them from being allowed on the plane/train, just that it might be taken away and checked.

<<<your 13kg. will not pass most airlines carry-on weight restrictions. Size is therefore irrelevant.>>>

Many/most airlines do not weigh carryons. If you can lift it and it fits in the bin or sizer then fine. I've never seen carryons weighed for trains and have only seen it for planes when I was on a small plane in Africa.

<<<Pesonally, I think carry-on is going the way of the Dodo if for no other reason than the contents restrictions that are starting to make it almost impossible to go carry-on only.>>>

I would disagree with you. I can almost always go carryon only without issues and only run into headaches from the liquids restriction. I have extremely long hair and refuse to buy conditioner while I'm traveling. If I had normal length hair or would be gone long enough to need to buy conditioner (or would just suck it up and buy it anyway) then it wouldn't be an issue. I'm a "I might need that" sort of packer so if I can do it then just about everyone probably can too if they chose to.
Old Jul 1st, 2013, 01:20 PM

improviser has been on a negative binge since he/she joined last month.

Maybe this is the anti-colduphere.
Old Jul 1st, 2013, 03:50 PM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
<Some interesting responses if not all relevant.>

This is a travel forum for EXCHANGE of information. It is not anyone's place to judge other people here. Your way is not the only way. Why the negativity on every single reply?
Old Jul 1st, 2013, 04:36 PM
Original Poster

So many responses and all very helpful in one way or another. Thank you very much MmePerdu, Rastaguytoday, Thursdaysd, Iowa_Redhead, janisj - your comments and advice are all very useful, especially MmePerdu, Iowa & janisj. You've helped me to feel considerably more positive and capable of doing this, even with the 'small' check in suitcase my husband is insisting will be more than large enough. First time travel is a daunting thing for those of us in our early 50s and I sincerely appreciate the advice and assistance from those who've got loads more experience! I'm going to pack as light as possible - 5-7 days as suggested and just get used to the same mix&match clothes day after day. I'm not on this trip to be a fashion icon after all! We had already thought about the washing thing, but thanks for confirming this aspect. I like your idea MmePerdu of taking as little as possible and if I need more 'collect' it on the way! The main thing that is worrying me with packing little is the unknown of the weather across the the countries (France, Switzerland, UK, Italy, Spain) over the 3 months - but thermals don't weigh much and add warmth easily. (Improviser, I'm sorry but you did misinterpret my question - I did want to know about check in luggage ie large-ish suitcases; but thank you for your willingness to try to be helpful anyway.) Thanks again one and all!
Old Jul 1st, 2013, 04:56 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
You can check historic weather statistics at weatherunderground.com. The trick is layers, although I would not expect you to need thermals in October! What is useful is a lightweight folding umbrella - I never travel without one, and also use it as a sunshade.
Old Jul 1st, 2013, 04:57 PM

"...taking as little as possible and if I need more 'collect' it on the way!" Pidge51

Pidge, when I look in my closet I'm always reminded of my travels. My favorite souvenirs are things I use when I get home, mostly clothes and small kitchen gadgets. So the wider world really permeates my everyday life. I recommend it.
Old Jul 1st, 2013, 05:37 PM

>> . . . and just get used to the same mix&match clothes day after day. I<<

Don't even worry too much about that. If you select things that mix/match/layer you can end up w. umpteen different 'distinct' outfits from a small number of garments. I teach a packing class and while it is partly for 'dramatic effect' - i get 30+ (sometimes 40+) outfits out of my demo wardrobe . . . and it all fits in a 21inch roll aboard.

say 4 'bottoms' (slacks and/or skirts) including what you are wearing on the flight. 2 or 3 pairs of shoes (again including airplane wear) and as many tops/blouses/vests/cardigans/pullovers/scarves as you can squeeze in. if the tops are all or mostly 'layerable' you end up w/ tons of outfits so you don't get tired of the same old/same old day after day.
Old Jul 1st, 2013, 05:57 PM

Mea culpa. I have seen so many posts on travel forums asking about CARRY-ON bags, I misread this one as yet another. I apologize for my mistake. It was my response that was irrelevant, not others.

I am not an ex-fodors poster. I have never posted on this forum before the last few weeks. I have posted on many other travel forums however. The format and questions are all much the same.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -