China train travel

Old Jun 11th, 2010, 10:06 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
China train travel

I'd love more suggestions on train travel in China; I am looking at 19 and 9-20 hour trips, soft sleeper, and wonder: is food served or should I pack it all? what about security, should we lock our suitcases, and are they kept in the car? Other ideas to blend, visit with,and pass the time?
Old Jun 12th, 2010, 08:53 AM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
You'll want to repost this over on the Asia forum, so more people with China experience will see your question.
Old Jun 12th, 2010, 07:42 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Besides reposting on the Asia board, spend some time at http://seat61.com/China.htm.

Soft sleeper is very comfortable, hard sleeper isn't too bad, boiling water is available. Train will probably have a restaurant car with edible food, but no English spoken. As with almost all train travel, you keep your luggage with you - pack light! Soft sleepers are lockable compartments, most for four people.

Forget blending, unless you look Chinese. What routes are you taking?
Old Jun 14th, 2010, 08:25 PM

We were on a tour when we rode the night train. We didn't eat on the train, as it was bedtime when we boarded. We shared a soft sleeper with another couple on our tour. I think they shipped our luggage ahead of us, but there was some room under the bunks and the door locked.

Hang on to your tickets, as you'll need them to exit the train station. A few people misplaced their tickets and had to buy another ticket.
Old Jun 15th, 2010, 10:35 AM

Beware of using the bathrooms.
Old Jun 15th, 2010, 01:08 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Nonsense. Take you own toilet paper and Purell or equivalent, which you should be doing anyway in China. I always use the squats in Asia - much better when sanitation may be an issue. The train will have both western and squat toilets. If you take a cup or second water bottle you can use the water from the boiler to wash your hands if you want.

But the OP seems to have abandoned us.
Old Jun 15th, 2010, 06:59 PM

Soft sleeper are definitely preferably to hard sleeper tickets. They are reasonably secure. You should bring your own food.

Traveling by train in China during daylight hours is one of the best ways to see the countryside where there are mountains, hills and small villages near the route.

Definitely bring toilet paper, soap, a small hand towel, perhaps hand wipes.
Old Jun 17th, 2010, 11:43 AM

I took the soft sleeper across the Taklimakan desert. Loos on the train were fine. Loos at stations were not fine! stalls with no doors over a ditch - and you had to pay for this inconvenience!

Luggage was checked as at an airport and did not see it again until destination reached.

We had hot water and green tea but took our own food.

Amazing way to see the country and an absolutely fabulous country at that.