Search

Check your expiration dates

Search this Thread

Old Aug 6th, 2010, 10:09 AM
Original Poster

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Check your expiration dates

I've updated my Leaving Home list (at http://mytimetotravel.wordpress.com/...ing-home-list/ ) to recommend checking your credit and ATM cards to make sure they won't expire while you're traveling. My Credit Union ATM card expires the month after I leave on my RTW, and they're sending me a new one, but Capital One flatly refused to send me a new Visa card to replace the one that expires in January - they claim their system sends new cards automatically and they can't override! (I wound up getting a new Capital One MasterCard.)
Old Aug 6th, 2010, 01:34 PM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
funny, when i read your title, i immediately thought about sunscreen lotion! i know that sounds lame, but people doing tropical destinations, check your expiration dates!
Old Aug 6th, 2010, 05:20 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Good points from both of you! As another expiration date to check, remember to check your passport expiration date well ahead of time. Many countries require/want you to have at least 6 months left on your passport before it expires.
Old Aug 6th, 2010, 05:28 PM
Original Poster

And Suze's post reminds me that you should also check over the counter medicines - I've been carrying the same Imodium tablets around for a while. And batteries - I get my watch battery changed before I leave on a long trip, but I also carry spare batteries for my (tiny) alarm clock and flashlight.
Old Aug 6th, 2010, 05:47 PM

certainly not as important as passport or charge card, but i started traveling with 2 watches. it's easy enough to toss in an extra. Twice on trips to Mexico something went wrong with mine (battery died, strap broke) and it was a big hassle. now easily solved by having a spare along. i don't take a travel clock so i really need that watch!
Old Aug 7th, 2010, 03:09 PM

Thursdaysd, good call on checking the OTC medicines. If you're reaching for the Imodium you definitely want it to work and not be old enough to be only partially effective! Now that I think about it, I likely have had the same pills in a little travel kit for a few years now through all kinds of temperature changes. I think it's a good time to update that before my trip next week...

Other expiration dates to check include your insurance (house, auto, medical, etc), car tags, property taxes and drivers license. Think of those annual or semi-annual bills that are harder to set up automatic payments for. You have to be present for a drivers license but could renew ahead of time, and the other infrequent bills can be paid in advance or a friend can mail payment when the time gets closer.

If someone is gone for a few months at a time it might be a good idea to have someone you trust back home open any mail that might look like it needs attention.
Old Aug 7th, 2010, 03:51 PM
Original Poster

I have my mail forwarded to friends. but virtually all my bills are now on autopay - including all my insurance except flood insurance. I'm sending my lawn maintenance people a bunch of post-dated checks. My current problem is my car registration - it expires in the middle of my next trip, and the DMV won't change the date even though they'd get paid earlier! Fortunately a good friend is going to take care of it for me.
Old Aug 7th, 2010, 06:03 PM

Do be cautious with post-dated checks. The bank does not have to honor that date and all of the checks could be cashed immediately. As long as you trust you lawn care people to cash the checks as dated (especially if you've had this arrangement in the past) then it's usually worth the risk.

Sorry, I'm an accountant and a bit OCD about that kind of thing.
Old Aug 8th, 2010, 10:19 AM

I was checking on some strong pain reliever pills that I had been carting all around with me on all kinds of trips in case of emergency. When I opened them up, they were gone. They had been stolen in one of the hotels I was staying at. I have no idea where. Good thing I wasn't counting on them.
Old Aug 8th, 2010, 02:54 PM

Shooie~ I put that type of prescription in the room safe, locked up along w/ my money, passport, etc.