Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Travel Topics > Air Travel
Reload this Page >

Less than 2 weeks left and passport renewal still processing

May 14th, 2019, 09:15 AM
Original Poster

I submitted my US passport for renewal around the 25th of last month, about a month before my upcoming trip to France. Considered getting expedited, but then had a couple post office employees assure me that renewals were coming back much quicker than the 4-6 week timeline. Also saw online that many people have gotten them back surprisingly quick around this time last year. I know I was still taking a risk by not expediting from the start, but if it doesn't work out, lesson learned.

I just called in to the passport center yesterday morning since I'm within 14 days of travel and my passport status still shows "processing". All they said is that my passport is still being worked on. I asked if there was any way I could speed it up, and they took my credit card info to put in a request to expedite it with fast return shipping for around $76. Still no sign they've charged my card for that yet.

Anyone else had experience with a situation like this? Hopefully I'll still have the option to get a renewal processed in person at one of the nearest(still a 3-4 hour drive) passport centers to me, in either Buffalo or Philadelphia, even though I don't have my old passport since I already sent it in with the application.

Any help appreciated!
May 15th, 2019, 06:26 AM
J62

I'd watch this daily, and also give yourselves time to go to plan B (drive to passport center) if you need to, and not on the last day. If it shows up as a charge in the next day or so I'd have increased confidence it's ok.

What we don't know is whether the turn around time has slowed due to the busier summer travel season and how many other thousands of people are doing the same thing as you.

It's a good reminder to us to take care of these things well in advance and not leave it till the last month.
May 15th, 2019, 10:49 AM

Our renewed passports arrived two and a half weeks after I mailed them.This was in late Dec, early Jan, during govt shutdown which did not affect passports.