Birthdate wrong on passport...

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 12th, 2009, 12:18 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I got a new passport a few months back and only just noticed that my birthdate is off by a digit (the day - it says 17 and should be 07). US Passport Agency tells me that the passport will need to be reissued and I'll get a new number. Which, normally, would have been ok, but I've used that number in various places.

Just wanted to find out if anyone knows if there are any consequences of travelling with a passport with a wrong birthdate. Will anyone stop me from boarding a flight or re-entering the US because of it? If it can wait, I'm thinking I'll get it changed when it's up for renewal.

Thanks!
Old Aug 12th, 2009, 12:26 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
What sort of places? The only times I've used my passport number is for registering at hotels abroad, where it certainly won't matter that you get a new passport, and for visas, which wouldn't be valid in a new passport.
Old Aug 13th, 2009, 04:50 AM

I don't understand what difference it makes whether that number's been "used" or not either. You MIGHT get by with it, but if anyone happens to notice that it's wrong (like comparing it with another form of id such as DL, IDP, visa) I think you could be flagged and in for some potential real hassles.
Old Aug 16th, 2009, 02:56 PM

I've read that by the end of 2010 you'll need your birthdate to make air reservations. I wouldn't chance it, you never know when someone might want to check.

What you are asking us is if we think that the U.S. Passport office is wrong. What if we say they are, "don't worry, you'll be okay". What are you going to say if they detain you? "People on the internet thought I'd be fine?"
Old Aug 16th, 2009, 02:57 PM

BTW, you logged onto Fodor's just to ask this? You already know what you must do.