Beware of getaroom.com

Old Dec 21st, 2019, 11:10 AM
Original Poster

Beware of getaroom.com

I just booked 1 night through what I thought was the hotels website. It came up as guest reservations with a price. At the end of the booking you see that it is getaroom.com and that they added 50% in service charges. I called them immediately to cancel but they said I would be charged the full amount
Old Dec 21st, 2019, 05:22 PM

Credit card protest.
Old Dec 22nd, 2019, 05:09 PM

Yes, contact your credit card company.
Old Dec 23rd, 2019, 07:50 AM

The website doesn’t even look like a hotel website so not sure how it was mistaken for one. It offers lots of different hotels just like hotels.com or booking.com and you pick the hotel you want.

50% in service charges? Their website doesn’t mention adding service charges, did they say what it was for? Is it a booking fee or a service charge? Some info is missing from the explanation.
Old Dec 24th, 2019, 06:18 AM

Hmmm. Sometimes a search for a certain website, in this case a certain hotel will result in 3rd party booking sites. I wonder if this happened here.

Usually the taxes are extra but 50% is to my experience unheard of. Its more like 20% ish. Our upcoming stay in Dubai had around 22% added from various taxes.

Before you pay the final price including taxes is displayed.

Are you saying what you paid includes a 50% service charge??

I just did a mock reservation for a hotel in New Delhi. The tax was just under 20% and at the bottom it is noted you can cancel up to 24 hrs. before day of arrival, its fully refundable and that your cc is charged in full at the time of booking.

So did you see after booking that they added what amounted to 50% in taxes which was more that the displayed charges?

OTOH their reviews are pretty shoddy and it seems many made the mistake you did by thinking you were booking with the hotel directly instead of a 3rd party website. Thats an easy mistake to make.

I always book directly through the hotel itself and am sure I'm on their website. It has been my experience that you will pay no more and sometimes less too. I once saw a cheaper rate for a Manhattan hotel thru Expedia I think, called the hotel and had them verify this and they gave me that rate.

Good luck!

Last edited by jacketwatch; Dec 24th, 2019 at 06:48 AM.