Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

BEWARE OF US AIRWAYS-THEY SUCK- BEWARE BEFORE BUYING TICKETS

Jan 13th, 2001, 01:07 AM
Danielle

I will try to make this as short as possible. My experience with US Airways for the 2nd time has been horrible. I experienced on 2 seperate occasions, rude employees (Philly crew really was horrible), refusal to store my 1 legal size carry-on because I was last boarding, and there was no room, not seating me, my husband and children together even though tickets were purchased months in advance, damaging the bag and destroying the contents of the carry-on that they insisted on storing in cargo, and damaging the luggage of another bag to the point that I had to put it on my back to get my possessions home. I will NEVER fly with them again despite the few dollars I might save....It's not worth having to go replace all the items that they damaged.

Jan 13th, 2001, 08:13 AM
xxxx

Not only will US Airways be happy not to have your business again, but the people seated around will be probably feel the same way. Lose the it's all their fault attitude. Things happen. Too generic a statement-"the Philly crew was horrible." Why? If you were last boarding, did you really expect to be seated together as a family-and not have your carry-on bag sent to cargo when you saw the plane was filled. Your being late might have allowed a 'stand-by' passenger a long-awaited trip home, or to visit a friend, because they were able to get a seat on the plane. You make it sound like US Airways targeted you because of your tardiness - somehow your venting comes across as childish. Did you ask a fligt attendant if you were able to switch seats with someone so your family could sit together. Sure, your trip wasn't what you expected it to be, which is unfortunate, but faulting the airline entirely is also wrong. You got home safely, right??

Jan 13th, 2001, 08:56 AM
Don

Danielle, I suspect perhaps you're an infrequent traveler. This kind of thing happens all of the time on ALL airlines. In this country, we have sacrificed service for cheapness. Period. Sorry you weren't pleased but I could share similar stories on just about every carrier out there.

Jan 14th, 2001, 08:36 AM
Danielle

Ok XXXX since you don't have enough thought to give yourself a fake name and email address....I will respond to your idiotic statement. I purchased my tickets 3 months in advance and when they assiged the seats (which is performed at the time of purchase)they sat 2 adults and 2 children in all different seats at the time of purchase. One would assume that because you are purchasing the tickets for a family that the airline would at least try to seat all the people together or inform the purchaser that it isn't available. And I was the first person at the ticket desk to get the boarding passes. They stated that we had assigned seats and that they couldn't change the seating arrangement. And for your information I was there 1 hour prior to boarding. And as for as my carry-ons, I purchased 1 ticket, sit in one seat, and deserve to store my one legal size carry-on just like the first person that boards the plane. I was last boarding because of my seat number, not because I was late. Apparently you are that person that feels above all others and takes 5 carry-ons and doesn't give care about others. That's why you are so defensive. And as far as the "Philly Crew" that is how they identified themselves on the speaker, so that's how I am referring to them in my message. Could you be one of them? Prehaps I should have gotten all their names and mocked them individually. My message was to help others avoid the time I had. And to the person that commented about my infrequent travels, I would like to say that I have traveled to 22 cities through out the US in the last 4 years, via various airlines. I generally travel with Delta, Continential and Southwest and have NEVER had to have my bags repaired, they have never lost or damaged any of my property and I have always been able to store carry-ons. If I had trouble finding a place, I was assisted in doing so. So, no I don't travel weekly but I do have enough to go on, to compare airlines.

Jan 14th, 2001, 08:44 AM
noaxe2grind

I think Danielle's postings more than adequately speak for themselves.

Jan 14th, 2001, 11:10 AM
phillycrew

Next time we'll pass out pencl and paper for you to jot down our names since we're so rude.

Jan 14th, 2001, 12:29 PM
mockingbird

Hey "phillycrew" -
Have you no pity for this poor, helpless and perpetually victimized woman??!! If "Queen for a Day" were still on TV, I'm certain she would win the washer-dryer. However, as it is, maybe we could try to get her a slot on "Survivor"... (just a thought)

Jan 14th, 2001, 01:51 PM
Noaxw

Danielle,

You,as an experienced flyer, you should know to specify your seating requirements. I have never had an airline randomly assign my seats unless I instruct them to do so. We just booked a flight last night and discussed our seating requests, on each leg of the trip, with the reservationist.

I have had my share of airline woes. But unless I'm in a situation where the staff is very stressed due to many flights being delayed/cancelled because of weather, airport closings etc., I find the airline personnel generally respond in kind to the way you approach them.

Jan 14th, 2001, 04:51 PM
Bob

Airline delays are inevitable. So are stressed staffs. Don't fly US Airways again, Danielle. There are enough of us who will because we've had bad experiences on TWA, American or United. In short, you get over it and move on. And you don't whine.

ps - "suck" is tacky tacky tacky.

Jan 15th, 2001, 07:21 AM
freq flyer

Danielle,

If you are a frequent flyer and knew at the time of booking that your family was not seated together, it was incumbent on you to keep checking with the airline to see if seats become available( at least 2+2).

If you knew you would be boarding last and you were an experienced traveller you should have given your carry on to a member of your family that was boarding earlier. That would have guaranteed overhead bin space for your bag.

Perhaps if you didn't have such an attitude problem other passengers would have changed seats to accomodate you.

Next time, stay calm...pissing off airline employees never works.

Jan 15th, 2001, 07:39 AM
bobbaloo

Well, I have a completely different story about US Airways and how wonderful they are. Last Labor Day weekend my wife and I were to fly to Harrisburg, PA to meet up with friends that live in Hershey and then drive to the Finger Lakes of New York for a nice long weekend of wine touring. However, due to delays in NYC (due to of all things to the US Open tennis games), only one runway was allowed to be used there, so that the plane we were to use on this end was delayed. This made us late for our connection in Pittsburgh, and even though this was absolutely not the fault of US Airways, they paid for our hotel, bought us dinner and breakfast, and put us on the first plane out of Pittsburgh the next morning. I would say they went above and beyond what they were required to do.

Contrast this to a similar experience on Continental last year returning from NYC via Cleveland, when we missed our connection (and the last flight of the day) and had to spend the night there. Continental did not even OFFER to provide hotel. Would not even offer any discount coupons and sure did not offer meals or anything else. Their attitude was "oh you missed your flight and even though it was because we were late getting here too bad, you are on your own". Let me say that I am convinced that I will never fly that airline again.

Jan 15th, 2001, 08:25 AM
Rich

Sorry, but chalk up another vote for those of us who will NEVER, EVER fly US Airways!

I used to fly them (15yrs. ago) very frequently between CMH and LGA. They were NEVER on-time. Twice, I missed my shuttle to Connecticut, and was stuck in NYC overnight. The first time it happened, they gave me a hotel room, and a whopping $5 for breakfast (remember, this was in NYC). The second time it happened, the person at the ticket counter said, "Oh, it's you again!" This was before I had even said a word! She then went on to rudely tell me how she wasn't going to help me, even though it was their fault!

I also took them one Thanksgiving (a non-stop flight), and they lost my luggage for a day and a half. It was really great to go out to a nice restaurant and have no clean clothes to wear!

There was also the time that the flight attendants were too busy socializing with each other and ignoring the boarding passengers to secure the drink cart prior to take-off. As you can probably guess, once we were ascending, cans of soda and beer came flying out of the forward galley. One of the flight attendants said, "Well, there's your drink service!" It was truly a golden moment in the history of customer service... Guess US Airways must send their flight attendants to Aeroflot for training...

Needless to say, I switched to other carriers, and never had a problem between CMH and LGA.

So no matter how many times they change their name, they'll always be "Agony Airlines" in my heart! I can only hypothesize that those of you who actually like this pathetic excuse of an airline must be closet masochists....

Jan 15th, 2001, 08:37 AM
Rob

Rich, I resent the fact that you think everyone who likes USAirways (or any other carrier for that matter) must be stupid simply because YOU don't like them. This particular airline has been great on EVERY occasion I've had to fly them. I now have 274,000 Dividend Miles , so do the math...it's a lot of flights. I'm sorry they weren't good for you and/or Danielle, but I think most of the people on this board are smart enough to realize that there really is very little differentiation among the major US carriers.

By the way, Aeroflot is much improved over the past few years. I took a Boeing 777 from JFK to Moscow last month and it was quite pleasurable.