Search

Best Waterproof Camera?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 3rd, 2011, 05:54 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Best Waterproof Camera?

I have a nice Canon camera (not just a point and shoot) that takes amazing pictures, but I don't want to risk getting it scratched or dirty (or stolen) on our upcoming trips to Mexico and Jamaica. Some of the new waterproof cameras have pretty high megapixels and will do the trick while snorkeling and hanging by the pool, and I won't have to worry about ruining my nice camera. I'd like to keep the price under $300, and have been looking at Fuji XP20, Olympus - TG610, or Olympus - TG810 (a little pricey). I really really wanted the Panasonic Lumix DMC-TS2V, but it's just way to far out of our budget right now. I can't decide on which one of the first I mentioned to get because they all have some pretty negative reviews (not waterproof and they die - pretty much the whole point?), so I don't know which to commit to. Does anyone have any experience or suggestions? Any other brands I should look into? Thanks!!
Old Sep 4th, 2011, 03:09 AM

Nikon my fav best I have had I am not a pro but my wife is

www.southernartgallery.com She won a Pentax water risistant

beautiful cheap takes great pictures might take a look at those

amazon.com good reviews free shipping usually.
Old Sep 4th, 2011, 03:14 AM

Panasonics good also if you want more whistles and bells
but pricier have a look at the LUMINEX seires...
Old Sep 4th, 2011, 03:17 AM

Pentax Optio WG-1 Adventure Series 14 MP Waterproof Digital Camera with 5x Wide-Angle Optical Zoom from $200...

add another $150 or so for panasonics
Old Sep 5th, 2011, 06:21 PM

I recently purchased the Olympus Tough 8010 (one model older than the TG810) and am pleased with it. I got it for just under $300 CAD because they're pushing the TG810.

I know a number of people who also have Olympus Tough cameras (different models depending on year bought) and all are happy with them as well. The main issue with the Olympuses is that they are slower to start up and saving pictures. But for me the ruggedness, waterproofness and the cold resistance was more important (I do a lot of winter sports).

If you can find a store with some 8010s still in stock, it may be what you're looking for.
Old Sep 12th, 2011, 01:52 PM

I have been looking for one and the choices narrowed down to two. I fianlly decided on the Canon D10 which is waterproof to 33 feet. My secodn choice was Panasonic TS3. Both are around the $300 mark street price.

I have doen soem homework and have read lots of reviews. So far, my decision has not disappoint.
Old Jun 3rd, 2013, 01:23 AM

I just received my DSC-TX20 (Black) yesterday and I've tested it and compared it to the previous DSC-TX10 that I had for one year and I gave it to my brother in law. I've been very happy with the DSC-TX10 and I like the new DSC-TX20 a lot. There is no significant changes, the main ones are that the shooter speed is increased to 4 sec (from 2 sec) for night shooting and the new one has video recording in 60i in 1080 AVCHD. Also the panorama option has been boosted since the DSC-TX10's entry, offering solid panoramas of up to 360 degrees. Sony also increased focusing speed. I think these are basically all the differences. Waterproofing and the design hasn't change at all. I red a lot of comments about the waterproofing on the TX10 - both good and bed. I am scuba diver and I've been doing underwater photography for several years now. This camera is not designed for that, it's rated only for 5 meters (16 foot) which I tested in our community pool and it works just fine. Of course you will need to read the instructions and make sure that the seals are properly closed. The camera is great for any pool and for a lot of fun with the kids. Bottom line - it's awesome camera. For it's class I think it's the best on the market for now. If you are looking for very good pictures from a small camera - that's the one.
Old Jun 5th, 2013, 03:11 AM

I also love this one
http://topbestwaterproofcamera.com/p...ra-review.html
Its camera strap has a tought caribeener clip which I used to clip to the loops on my life jacket when in the zodiacs.
Its photos were generally good quality tho I found it struggled with white on white. Its sea colours were great. Its videos were good too. I liked videoing the zodiac trips. It stayed clipped to me the whole time - I would just hold it up to video or photo.

In my bag I always had several chamoix clothes in ziplocks to wipe down the camera and spare ziplocks to put the damp clothe in afterwards.
I used both Iphone 4 on both voyages as my 3rd backup - in one of these
which hung round my neck.
Old Oct 7th, 2013, 12:55 PM

i like cannon, i have been using it for many years.