becoming a more seasoned solo traveller

Old Apr 24th, 2005, 09:29 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
becoming a more seasoned solo traveller

I've enjoyed doing London and NY, short trips to Vegas, cruises, and train travel thru the US all on my own.

I'd like to tackle other cities in Europe on my own (say before a tour or a cruise) but I'm a lot less comfortable doing this.

So, I'd love to hear from this group--how did you/do you prepare for your trips.

Thanks, Faith
Old Apr 24th, 2005, 06:13 PM

I decide where I want to go then find as many tours as I can that go there. I read all their itineries and figure out which one goes to the places I want to see. Then I book. Then I type out that itinery into an outline form and spend the weeks/months before reading the guide books and filling in the itinery so I really know what it is Im going to see. I also read any fiction, historical fiction or non f that I can about the country. I find Im a bit smarter when I do this for the trip plus my own knowledge has blossomed over the years! AND.....it helps to pass those months waiting for the trip!!
Old Apr 25th, 2005, 04:10 AM

I am not nearly so organized as Leanna! Tours are not my thing so I pick my spot first, book my air (open jaw almost always) so the dates are locked in. Then I reseach hotels, trains, etc. I make these reservations well in advance because I generally know where I want to stay within a city.

Then I will spend time brushing up on my language skills, reserving major museums, etc.

I do not enjoy having things planned to the minute. My pleasure in travel in seeing where my day might take me and going along for the ride. If I plan specific visits, I do so in the morning and then after lunch I wander.

Old Apr 25th, 2005, 06:36 PM

Oh Kfusto, Im not sure if Im organized or anal!!!! You way sounds quite lovely!!! The thing...is we're a goin and a doin!! No matter what the style the goin and the doin is what matters....I think!!!
Old Apr 25th, 2005, 06:42 PM
Original Poster

Thx Leanna and Kfusto for your feedback to my post...

I find that I really enjoyed doing my own 'bus tours' when I go to NY so I did that when I went to London for the first time and it worked out well.

Faith
Old Apr 26th, 2005, 11:56 AM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Quite honestly, I just pick a city, buy a plane ticket, research to find a good neighborhood & make a hotel reservation. That's the only planning I do. OK maybe I read a guidebook on the long plane ride over!

I found Paris, Venice, and Amsterdam easy solo cities.
Old Apr 26th, 2005, 12:00 PM

I *LOVE* my method of traveling. Forgot to mention above, those cities were on different trips. I like to stay at least 5 days in each place. My "itinerary" consists of just kicking around the city. I usually manage to go to 1-2 tourist attractions, but am much more fascinated sitting drinking wine in sidewalk cafes, shopping in the grocery store, going to the post office, and the like. I start walking in ever increasing circles near my hotel, and branch out from there.
Old Apr 26th, 2005, 03:18 PM

I'm pretty much in the Suze camp. I read about what there is to see and do but I don't have any kind of schedule planned. I really love trying to figure out what it's like to live in a place.
Old Apr 26th, 2005, 08:26 PM
Original Poster

Love reading everybodys thought process when planning/not planning/just doing a trip.
Old Apr 27th, 2005, 04:15 PM
Ag3046

I like to read the itineraries of quality tours to get an idea of what about a place is interesting. I look for unusual or esoteric tours that might go to places others overlook. Then I read to see if this is somewhere that is comfortable for me to do on my own, and it usually is. I really don't like doing tours unless it is highly impractical to do so.

I find Paris is a wonderful city on your own. I look for a nice hotel in the Latin quarter or 6th arr. and spend my days poking about. Maybe have one museum, park, or shop as a destination, and then just enjoy cruising about. I find that if I have one activity planned, I make better use of my time. For Paris, it helps to get one of those small Metro maps to identify the stops you need.
For my daily travels,

Old Apr 28th, 2005, 02:32 PM

I have one or two friends that I cherish as travel companions, but also enjoy going solo. Typically I do something like this:
1. Start with the mental list I keep of places I want to go before I can't go any longer, what time I will have available, do a little research about what places are like at that time (weather, high season, etc.). Usually this involves several searches and maybe a post or two on this board.
2. Check airfares and if something reasonable is available then check accommodation options. When the buffalo screams sufficiently loudly (from my pinching those nickels during this research) I pull the trigger and book the flights, then hotels. For major trips I often set up an Excel spreadsheet to compare various options. (efficient or anal? - you decide!)
3. Purchase travel insurance (usually through www.insuremytrip.com)
4. Pore over guidebooks at the library or local bookstore that lets customers peruse books without buying. Take notes, and usually buy one or two guidebooks that seem useful and not too bulky.
5. Look at the itineraries posted online by commercial tour groups for the destination to get an idea of how to schedule, maybe even use one of them (rarely).
6. Start counting down the days!
Old May 6th, 2005, 10:33 AM

These are not pre-planning tips but things that make me more comfortable or that are entertaining while traveling solo:
1) email my sister on my hotmail account so she can write back. great way to share your trip, especially if you have a wave of loneliness
2) check out local grocery stores, post office, fabric shops, department stores, green grocers, churches, no one will notice you are alone
3) read the local newspaper, entertainment guides, trashy tabloids, even if you don't read the language
4) watch TV or see a movie, again especially good if you don't speak the language
5) always have a paperback novel to read