Search

30th Birthday Trip Ideas!

Search this Thread

Old Apr 8th, 2015, 05:22 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
30th Birthday Trip Ideas!

Hey y'all, I need your advice!! My 30th birthday is looming & I want to take a trip with my husband to celebrate the occasion, but we don't know where to go...I have always joked that if he didn't take me to NYC for my 30th there might be a divorce in our future, but now as it gets closer, I'm not sure that's the right place to celebrate.... I'm not totally closed to the idea, just questioning it...I have also been toying with the idea of Fairbanks, AK to see the Northern Lights, but again, not totally sure that it's the best choice either...please give me any suggestions for unique, interesting places to travel in November that won't break the bank. I want this trip to be special & need your guidance in choosing the perfect spot! We have our passports, so your suggestions don't have to be limited to the US...thanks in advance for your help!!!
Old Apr 8th, 2015, 11:42 AM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
Well -- Fairbanks <i>might</i> break the bank - how much is your bank? And don't plan any trip just around seeing the Northern Lights. There must be other things you want to see/do in the area since the Northern lights might or might not be on display. And even if there is a show -- the weather conditions might mean you couldn't see them.

NYC is generally an expensive place to visit -- and November is an expensive month there.

Where are you flying from?

What is your budget / for how many days?

And what are your dates? (If around Thanksgiving you have to take higher airfares into account)
Old Apr 8th, 2015, 12:21 PM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Weather is lovely in the coastal resorts of Mexico in November. Very good value once you're on the ground there.
Old Apr 9th, 2015, 06:04 AM
Original Poster

@janisj I agree a/b the Lights, that's why I'm apprehensive to go to Fairbanks...not that the Lights are the only thing I would like to do there, but if we didn't see them I would be MORE than disappointed lol We will be flying from Little Rock, AR, I would say budget is $4,000 max...ideally I would like to stay from Nov. 6th -10th We have been to Mexico & most all of the Southeast & as far west as AZ...went to D.C. & loved it...just want to go somewhere new & preferably not a beach location I appreciate your help!!

@suze We went to Cancun not too long ago...we are really wanting somewhere we haven't been...but thanks for the suggestion!!
Old Apr 9th, 2015, 08:52 AM

OK. But do realize Mexico is a HUGE diverse amazing country. It's kinda sad to write off the entire country because you went to Cancun one time.
Old Apr 10th, 2015, 05:24 AM
Original Poster

@suze, I am aware how large & diverse Mexico is, however it's still a no...but again, thanks.
Old Apr 10th, 2015, 08:06 AM

San Francisco (since you mention NYC but it wasn't quite right).
Old Apr 10th, 2015, 10:43 AM
Original Poster

@suze, I have actually been thinking a/b San Fran...have you been there...any pointers or must see places you would recommend??
Old Apr 17th, 2015, 11:19 AM

Go to NYC !! SF is full of mid-westerners who think they're now hip because they've spent a little time in Bhagdad by the Bay. In fact, avoid CA altogether !!
Old Apr 17th, 2015, 01:06 PM

Hi - Yes I've been to San Francisco a few times (I only live in Seattle & have friends in that area).

I really don't have any special comments though, any guidebook can get you started.

Depends on how long you have. I mostly just kick around the central part of the city, and do the typical tourist stuff (ride a cable car, see Fisherman's Wharf, go thru Chinatown, shopping, eating, etc.). My hotel was near Union Square (The Andrews) which worked nicely.
http://www.andrewshotel.com/
Old Apr 22nd, 2015, 03:01 PM

You should definitely check out Southeast Asia, there is so much to explore and the price is unbeatable.

Some areas are quite western so you can choose how 3rd world you want to go explore. We would recommend the bike tours that are in Vietnam, they are beautiful and super fun.

We wrote a huge blog post on our recent trip there if you are actually interested in visiting Southeast Asia. WhoNeedsMaps.com

All the best!