2 Week Trip for Newleywed's - Adventure and Beach

Old Apr 16th, 2014, 06:01 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2 Week Trip for Newleywed's - Adventure and Beach

Hello! My husband and I are trying to plan a 2 week trip for late September / early October. So far, our ideas are across the board (and world!). We originally wanted New Zealand, but have been told the weather can be questionable since it is early spring there. Our next two ideas are Bali and Signapore, or 3 parts of South America - Machu Pichu in Pero, Rio de Janeiro, and Buenos Aires.

To add to this, we are looking for a unique experience for both of us. My husband has been all over Europe, I have been to parts of Europe and parts of SE Asia, we've both been to Mexico, the Caribbean, and all over N. America. We want a trip that is about 50% adventure (historical monuments / temples, rafting, hiking, cultural activities, nature) and 50% beach (sun, pretty atmosphere, white sand, drinks).

Can anyone give some input on our 2-3 ideas above, or suggest something we may not have thought of?

Thank you!
Sara
Old Apr 16th, 2014, 09:37 AM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Hawaii?
Old Apr 16th, 2014, 12:44 PM
Original Poster

Hi Suze, I love Hawaii, but we've been! Thank you for the suggestion!
Old Apr 16th, 2014, 12:56 PM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Sara, Hardly anyone reads this "Travel Tips" branch. Hopefully they'll help you out over on your Asia post. Welcome to Fodor's & happy planning.
Old Apr 16th, 2014, 01:04 PM

I think your ideas sound great, SaraFay. I would add maybe South Africa? I haven't been but have been planning--some might say dreaming, lol--about it for a while. I;ve read amazing things about Cape Town...
Old Apr 16th, 2014, 01:25 PM
Original Poster

dulciusexasperis - Is it really necessary to be condescending to someone merely try to collect information from a reputable group of travelers? If you don't like my post, you can simply move on to the next one.
Old Apr 17th, 2014, 01:16 AM

Bali provides most of what you are seeking in terms of adventure and cultural activities and September is a good time as far as the weather is concerned. There are lot of beach areas in Bali and whilst they are not the very best Asia has to offer, they are perfectly acceptable. Choose your area carefully though , main can be a little rowdy. Singapore is ok as a hub for getting to and from Bali but is not one of my favourite cities. Ok for a couple of days.

South America is also a good choice. I have spent quite a bit of time there and never tire of the continent. However, with just two weeks I think you would be trying to do to much. Distances are vast and it does take a lot of time to get from place to place. I think you would miss a lot by trying to cover three countries. I would be inclined to limit yourself to one country.

A few days in BA combined with a trip to Iguazu Falls and to the. North West of Argentina. There is a circuit you could drive which takes in some of the most spectacular scenery. You could also squeeze in a trip to the wine growing region of Mendoza but in the time available I probably would not bother. This option would not really a cover any beach time.

Peru has more than enough to keep your interest for 2 weeks Machu Pichu and the Sacred Valley could easily take up a week and is one of the most culturally and antiquity rich areas in the world. Lake Titicaca, Arequipa are all incredible places and the scenery in between some of the most spectacular on the planet.

If you are feeling more adventurous, then. Bolivia is definitely worthy of consideration.

I have visited. Brazil only briefly so can't really comment but I think that is the place to consider in SA if beaches are a priority

Her is a link to a couple of my blogs

This one covers Argentina from entry 74 on

http://blog.travelpod.com/travel-blo...ai/1/tpod.html

This one covers our most recent trip to South America last year , Peru Bolivia etc.
http://blog.travelpod.com/travel-blo...ai/6/tpod.html
Old Apr 17th, 2014, 01:38 AM

Sara, Dulcie has a well earned reputation for being rude and dismissive. However you will find many posters here to help.

Dulcie is a 67 year old boring man in a garret in Ottawa.
Old Apr 17th, 2014, 02:20 AM

Dulcie... I often have never thought of going somewhere until someone else suggests it. Maybe the poster is like me and wants tips to get the ideas flowing.

There is no need to be a grump.
Old Apr 17th, 2014, 08:48 AM

Portugal has "adventure and beach". We were in Lisbon in October and the weather was wonderful. We did not travel too far outside of Lisbon, except to seaside Cascais. The Algarve looks appealing, as does the northern areas. Wine country, very welcoming culture, English is widely spoken, prices are low. We loved the Avenida Palace hotel in central Lisbon.

Now we are planning a trip to USVI St Croix, The Buccaneer hotel there. It also has the "adventure and beach" you are looking for.