Search

1st time solo traveler

Search this Thread

Old Feb 17th, 2006, 01:16 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1st time solo traveler

I’m about to embark on a 2 month solo trip of Europe. just wondering if anyone has any advice of the best way to travel from country to country eg train, bus or plane im on a tight budget but have a flexible itinerary

thanks michael
Old Feb 17th, 2006, 03:11 PM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
michael, I suggest you post this on the regular Europe branch because not very many people read "solo traveler".
Old Feb 17th, 2006, 10:23 PM

Suze, nobody will read "solo traveler" if you insist on turning away everyone who posts here.
Old Feb 20th, 2006, 06:24 PM

oh yea JB, sure, that's right, i somehow single handedly manage to keep people from posting and replying on this branch... don't think so!

rather than lose new posters to Fodor's I believe it is preferable to direct them to where they just might get answers to their questions.
Old Feb 20th, 2006, 06:26 PM

JB, if you notice this is Michael's one and only post which remains unanswered. Rather than scold me, maybe you want to answer his question?
Old Mar 5th, 2006, 09:32 PM

I like going by train, solo or not, and given time and budget eurail pass sounds like a good bet!
probably second class --
Old Apr 11th, 2006, 03:24 PM

Michael.

I am thinking of traveling solo this summer as well. I have never traveled by myself, but... At anyrate, while traveling in Europe, I enjoy taking the rail. You get to meet people and I think that it is rather inexpensive. If the train doesnt take you exactly where you are going, there is always a bus that will take you the rest of the way. I went w/ someone for three weeks last summer and it was a blast.

Where are you going?
RC
Old May 5th, 2006, 08:56 AM

Check out this website
http://goeurope.about.com/cs/travelb...europe_101.htm
Old May 10th, 2006, 05:04 AM

I just got back from 6 weeks solo around Europe; the cheapest way to get around is by bus, trains in some countries aren't too bad (Spain, Portugal, Italy, Eastern Europe), but in some (Germany, UK, Switzerland esp.) they can be quite expensive, though there are some deals you can get if you plan ahead/cobble together a group on the spot (depending on destination and such). Flights are good for the longer distances, and there are some REALLY cheap ones available (free plus taxes isn't unheard of), though you have to remember to factor in the price of getting to and from the airport (not inconsiderable in many cases, London Stansted, for example, where Ryanair primarily flies out of, is 15 pounds (roughly $25) from Liverpool St. station in central London). Another thing to consider is night trains/buses; the trains cost more than normal trains, but you don't have to pay for lodging; buses don't have beds or anything, but if you can sleep in a seat, it's a good way to save time and money.